CRD Plastic Engine Cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD Plastic Engine Cover

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
NJBill

CRD Plastic Engine Cover

How do you remove the large black plastic cover? The thing that has the oil filler in the middle.

Unread 09-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

Unscrew your oil filler cap and set it aside. Gently tug upward at each corner and the engine cover just pops off.

I have left mine off to reduce heat in the engine bay.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
NJBill

Thanks!
Unread 09-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Diesel Inferno

Well not really, You must remove the oil cap first. Then lift up on both front corners. Once the cover is loose from the front pins Pull the cover to you. The rear pins slide into
the rear of the cover and do not snap in from the top. To replace the cover you must align the rear rubber hooded pins first then wiggle reaward and slide the pins in place then just snap the front end of the cover down and replace oil cap.
Unread 09-04-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
n3qik
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Inferno
Well not really, You must remove the oil cap first. Then lift up on both front corners. Once the cover is loose from the front pins Pull the cover to you. The rear pins slide into
the rear of the cover and do not snap in from the top. To replace the cover you must align the rear rubber hooded pins first then wiggle reaward and slide the pins in place then just snap the front end of the cover down and replace oil cap.
Well yours must be differant, mine is on 4 little ball mounts. Pull stright up on all 4 corners.
Previous:2012 2-door Wrangler Sport S-"Dozer Clear Coat" w/ manual- Stock-9K Miles Sold 3/2013
2005 Liberty w/ 2.8 Diesel-50K miles- Sold 2/2012
n3qik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
ranger1
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ditto

The rubber inserts in my cover don't slide at all. Getting them out of the cover takes an enormous amount of pressure, but all four have ball sockets that pop right off the ball stud mounts on the engine. Wonder if they had a change in the design?
ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
Diesel Inferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
The rubber inserts in my cover don't slide at all. Getting them out of the cover takes an enormous amount of pressure, but all four have ball sockets that pop right off the ball stud mounts on the engine. Wonder if they had a change in the design?
My front two pins are just ball sockets. The rear two pins have rubber isolator caps on them that slide into place. If you look at the underside of the plastic cover you will see the two different types of attaching points. The fronts are a snap on type the rear is a "U" shaped reciever to slide the rubber isolator into. Dont try snapping or pulling up on the rear of the cover you will rip the rubber isolators off from the motor pins. The rear MUST be lined up and pushed rearword into place. Once the rear rubber caps pop in then the front of the top can be just snapped in/down. Please note the rear rubber caps are supposed to "live" on the rear pins not in the cover even when the plastic cover is off. You may have "pulled" instead of sliding and lost or ripped them from the engine pins where thay are supposed to always live. Its taking lots of pressure because the rear attachment is NOT to be pushed or snapped into place only the front pins are snap on type.

Last edited by Diesel Inferno; 09-04-2005 at 09:46 AM..
Diesel Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
bonehead69
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've done it both ways......the rubber caps attach the same way front and rear on mine and also both slide into the cover the same. I find that popping all four edges up and off ,that way it just pops back on by pushing down on the edges. I find sliding the cover back onto the rear rubber cups a PITA but thats me. Like I said this is the way I R&R mine others may not do it like this, but that ok
Unread 09-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
Diesel Inferno

Mine only uses the rubber caps on the rearward pins. No rubber in front.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.