CRD Owners? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD Owners?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
cowcreek jeep

CRD Owners?

Just picked up my CRD Limited yesterday. It's incredible. I live on the side of a mountain in the Rockies. Drove it home through mud, snow and ice. Any new CRD owners out there?

cowcreek jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
gdhumormn17

are you in colorado? they had very nice one in Pollard in Boulder all decked out
Patriot Blue Metallic
Added: Limited Made spare Tire Cover
V6 Auto
Part Time 4 wheel drive
All Wheel Discs
ABS
Lost Member #000655
gdhumormn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
cowcreek jeep

Pecos Wilderness. Bought CRD from Lithia in Santa Fe. They had to truck it in from Denver. There are quite a few CRDs in the Denver area.
Unread 02-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
brewcider

I got mine a week ago. What a nice week it's been!
Unread 02-24-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
cowcreek jeep

Are any of you using biodiesel?
Unread 02-24-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
gdhumormn17

yeah im really surprised, everyone else was complaining and i've seen two sitting on dealership showrooms, i dont know anything about the bio diesel does it work in all diesel's and what are some of the advantages of it, will it work in my dad's SuperDuty?
Patriot Blue Metallic
Added: Limited Made spare Tire Cover
V6 Auto
Part Time 4 wheel drive
All Wheel Discs
ABS
Lost Member #000655
gdhumormn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
cowcreek jeep

I read somewhere that all Liberty CRDs leave the factory with B5 Biodiesel in the tank.
Unread 02-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #8
n3qik
2013 JK Wrangler 

Had mine for two weeks now, tonight was first time to test out 4WD in snow. Taking off and turning are great, but stopping sucks, anti-lock comes on to soon. Will have to learn not to press brakes as hard. Dealer had 3 when I test drove mine, two days later they sold one 1 hour before I brought mine.
n3qik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
Parky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhumormn17
yeah im really surprised, everyone else was complaining and i've seen two sitting on dealership showrooms, i dont know anything about the bio diesel does it work in all diesel's and what are some of the advantages of it, will it work in my dad's SuperDuty?
The main advantages of biodiesel is the reduction of greenhouse gases like co2, sulfur and carbon monoxide. There is a chance that it my increase NOx emissions (particulate matter). Also in cold climates it will gel up faster than regular diesel, but that can be reduced with winterizers. I have also heard that it will quiet the engine down a bit.

I know here in Boulder, there are several places to buy B100 biodiesel, but it is sort of expensive. There is a web site www.boulderbiodiesel.com that has some good information about it.

I would check with the dealer to see if you can use biodiesel in your dad's superduty or if it would affect the warranty.

Ordered CRD Sport
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

There's some great info available at http://www.biodiesel.org Lots of easy to understand .pdf files for download that lay out the differences in fuels, plus a neat map function that lets you find distributors and retailers in your area.

I've read similar things to what parky posted...more expensive than pure dino-diesel, may gel sooner in cold weather than dino-diesel, and that NOX emissions increase a bit. Also read that power and economy suffer a bit with biodiesel...the higher the concentration, the more power & economy suffer.

But there are advantages as well...less particulate & carbon dioxide emissions, and less dependence on oil producing nations that can cut production on a whim.

Based on what I've read (mostly at the biodiesel.org site and at tdiclub.com) my own preference would be to run anything up to B20...20% bio, 80% dino-diesel. Seems that beyond that is where gelling can start to occur at relatively mild temps and where manufacturers might start voiding certain fuel-related warranty work. I think Jeep puts in B5 at the factory (5% bio)...it's probably more of a political statement than anything else...an attempt to catch environmentalists eyes.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 03:08 AM   #11
redshift42
2006 XK Commander 

Regarding biodiesel, 2 other things come to mind:

- Biodiesel has better inherent lubricity than conventional diesel. Makes it beneficial for things like fuel pumps and upper cyl lubrication.
Despite the limitations several people have mentioned above, bd has a very loyal patronage among the VW TDI crowd, even many of the hi-performance minded guys.

- On the TDI's there was an issue where the fuel lines could soften over long term exposure to the biodiesel. It's not that bd is caustic or anything (in fact you could drink straight bd, not that i'm recommending it), just that the hoses weren't developed w/ anything other than conventional fuel in mind. The fix has been $3 worth of tubing from the hobby shop and 10 minutes under the hood.
I only cite this as a caution, in case similar fuel lines are in use on the CRD engine too. (Tho' if they're factory-filling them w/ B5, then I doubt it's an issue)

Although I find myself at odds w/ Greenies on nearly everything, I'm thrilled by the economic and environmental sense that bd makes. When owning a fuel efficient vehicle makes sense for me again, I'll be driving a diesel and burning bd.

Last edited by redshift42; 03-04-2005 at 02:12 AM..
redshift42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #12
ukliberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

I now fill up on Bio when I can. I have found that subjectively the engine seems quiter and contrary to what most say I actually feel the engine runs better on the Bio stuff.
I know its only 5% in there but if everyone used it then the dino oil will last that bit longer.

Certainly when running it exclusively during the summer in Europe I did not have performance problems - Went across the highest mountian pass in Europe and it flew up the sides of the mountains and on highway it was just as good. At times I would be cruising at 90mph. Over the whole trip the overhead came out with 28mpg - which I thought was fairly impressive. Once back in the UK switched back to normal diesel and soon noticed a change in the jeep. Was a bit more clanky - once I put it back on bio and she was fine.

My dealer asked me to remind them that I run bio at every service to ensure they give the hoses a proper once over to check for any perishing.
ukliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 05:38 AM   #13
aburchell44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcreek jeep
I read somewhere that all Liberty CRDs leave the factory with B5 Biodiesel in the tank.
Its on the Jeep UK website. I read it there the other day.

How many units of production is the US market getting?

We apparently are only getting approximately 500 in all of Canada. On the east Coast of Canada there is about 1 TDI for every 15-18 cars on the road. It would be easy to tap into the SUV market with the types of consumers here, especially if its forecasted CDN prices lies between 32-36,000 CDN

Andrew
aburchell44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #14
Dunno

I've got one
Dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #15
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Can you get a CRD Renegade?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.