CRD oil recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD oil recommendations

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

CRD oil recommendations

Hello all! The wife and I picked up an 05 Liberty CRD a couple weeks ago and it is now time for a oil change. To Autozone I went with the owner's manual in hand and bought 7 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic and a filter according to the recommendations in the manual. While I was there, it occurred to me that Shell Rotella T6 (I think) was cheaper and from what I remember has been talked about as a very good oil. So, do I use what I bought or go back and swap the Mobil 1 for the Rotella? Side note: I think it's hilarious that Shell named their oil to sound like pasta...Also, if there are any other better options for oil for our CRD, please don't hesitate to say something about them too. Thanks to all!

Mwildmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been running Mobile 1 TDT 5-40 & the larger oil filter M1-301. Works just fine for me, also keep it about 1/3rd quart less than what you would think when running the larger filter. I wouldn't waste the time or fuel driving back and forth.

Look into getting a Fumoto oil valve to replace the drain plug. Makes the fluid change a snap.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post
I've been running Mobile 1 TDT 5-40 & the larger oil filter M1-301. Works just fine for me, also keep it about 1/3rd quart less than what you would think when running the larger filter. I wouldn't waste the time or fuel driving back and forth.

Look into getting a Fumoto oil valve to replace the drain plug. Makes the fluid change a snap.
Thanks, guess I'm gonna stick with the Mobil 1. I got the 0W40 weight. I think I read that it needs to be filled according to the volume in the owners manual rather than the level on the stick. True?
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

Good choose! I use Shell T6 5w-40, recommended by GreenDieselEngineering. Works for me GDE knows what makes our 2.8VM Motor.... last....
Oilburner.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilbuner View Post
Good choose! I use Shell T6 5w-40, recommended by GreenDieselEngineering. Works for me GDE knows what makes our 2.8VM Motor.... last....
Oilburner.
Ya, I checked out their website. Couldn't find anything about an oil recommendation though. Good info. I think this time I'm going to use the Mobil 1. Next time I'll probably get the T6. Gonna have to find a better source for the filter though. All Autozone had that fit was a standard Fram and I was in no mood to drive around all day to parts stores trying to find something better. Thanks for weighing in!
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post

Well, changed the oil in the Tractor on Sunday. What I discovered is that one of the POs had already installed one of those Fumoto oil valves on the pan. Love that!
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwildmann View Post
Well, changed the oil in the Tractor on Sunday. What I discovered is that one of the POs had already installed one of those Fumoto oil valves on the pan. Love that!
Nice! Makes things quicker and less messing around.

Did you use a larger size oil filter - like the M1 - 301?

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
silverd

Wix 51515 which is same size as the M1 301.... and X2 on the Rotella T6 5W40. Been using this oil and filter since 15K mileage and now enjoying 158k on the clock. Of course changing every 6200 miles. This and EGR delete (SEGR and GDE ecotune) is saving those precious rocker arms and lifters from an untimely demise. Actually GDE touts the thicker the oil the better and to completely ignore that 0W40 recommendation the owners manual says.

Roland
silverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverd View Post
Wix 51515 which is same size as the M1 301.... and X2 on the Rotella T6 5W40. Been using this oil and filter since 15K mileage and now enjoying 158k on the clock. Of course changing every 6200 miles. This and EGR delete (SEGR and GDE ecotune) is saving those precious rocker arms and lifters from an untimely demise. Actually GDE touts the thicker the oil the better and to completely ignore that 0W40 recommendation the owners manual says.

Roland
Well, unfortunately all Autozone had for a filter was a regular Fram. I would've gotten the Tough Guard but they didn't have that one. The next oil change will be with a Wix no doubt. And I'll also be using the Rotella T6 5W40 rather than the Mobil 1. I just need to figure out where to get that Wix. The reviews at Amazon say that people are also using that filter on the Jeep 4.0 which is insanely convenient because I'll be able to use them on my XJ also. I'll probably be ordering a bunch of them just to have on hand then get the oil locally. Oh, and the GDE tune is also in the works, just need to make sure it's not been done yet. I notice a little TC shudder from a standing stop so I don't think it's been done yet. Thanks again all for helping me figure out our CRD. Loving it so far!
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
bonehead69
2013 JK Wrangler 

Been using Rotella Synthetic for the last 135000mi with Mopar the later Wix filters and doing 12,000 to 15,000 mile oil changes.
Oh and Wix fuel filter every 25,000mi......... pushed it to 30,000mi once........once
O'reillys Auto parts is where I get my Wix filters at , but I think Napa sells same filter rebranded with their name in their Gold series also...... but don't hold me to that one
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
synthetic-oil
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead69 View Post
Napa sells same filter rebranded with their name in their Gold series also...... but don't hold me to that one
This is correct

I use AMSOIL AMF oil and EAO34 oil filter.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...ter-study.html
synthetic-oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic-oil View Post
Nice! Guess I'll be getting a NAPA Gold filter for the next oil change then. Thanks all!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.