CRD oil pressure sensor light comes on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD oil pressure sensor light comes on

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

CRD oil pressure sensor light comes on

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD and the oil light comes on when I start up and rev up over 1,500 rpm until the engine warms up. Idle to 1,500 rpm no light comes on. When the engine warms is stays out. I changed the oil and filter but no change. I'm in mississippi and it's 60 degrees. I think it's the oil pressure sensor.
What do you think?

andrewjake3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Are there any codes coming back through OBDII?
In gas model codes can be read though digital mileage read out by:
Without starting engine: Turn key forward (not accessory)
On-OFF-ON-OFF-ON (leave in ON) look at LCD..any codes?
The Oil pressure sensor, along with the wiring attached to are generally the first problems.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

I don't have a scan tool and when I tried your method the check engine light came on and stayed on.
Nothing else.
I turned it off and restarted the car and the check engine light went back off.
I didn't learn anything.
Once again I have a crd 2.8 diesel.
This morning before I drove the car I plugged in the engine oil warmer for a couple of hours before zI had to drive and the light never came on while I ran my errands.
The air temp this morning was like a nice 60 degrees.
I think I'll change the oil pressure sensor. I got the part number 5149064AA for $56.20 from the dealer. Of coarse he is out of stock. I'll check around. I hate part changing but it's my guess.
Unread 11-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

What weight oil are you using?what are your drain intervals? and what kind of oil? Before spending that money on a new sensor, try and find a parts store that will run a scanner for you.
Advanced Auto will some times do that for you or an O Reillys. Also you didn't say what the mileage is?
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

$56 dollars is cheap compared to an oil pump change but after looking at the oil pump design I don't see a failure possible unless a total failure. It's really one gear on the main crank shaft. If it is I will change the timing belt too because I have over 80k miles. I have only used the mobile one syn 0w40 and every 3,900k i believe. I'll do it myself since the dealer stripped the threads in the pan and blamed it on someone else. I bought a 5/8" live well plug from west marine and it works fine and easy to get out. two to a pack so I carry a spare.
I don't think I'm going to have any codes. It has never flashed a check engine light.
Unread 11-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

With oil changes that often and with the right weight oil, I don't think it would be your oil pump, its temperature related? I would think the check engine light would come on if the oil light comes on? Have you tried unplugging the sensor and plugging it back in? Obviously you maintain it correctly, so the mileage you have is nothing, for this engine. I wonder if the valve in the oil filter has gone bad and letting the oil drain back out of the filter? This is just my thoughts I have the same, so when you find out let us know.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #7
flman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Why don't you try installing a mechanical gauge as a test, then you will know the actual pressure, I don't even see how an OBD scan is going to work if the sensor is bad, unless it is able to see the bad sensor?
2010 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
2005 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

I don't have a mechanical pressure gauge but I'm willing to bet that it will cost about or more than $56.60 and then I would probably still have to buy the pressure sensor too.
56.60 + 56.60 = $113.20
I have noticed on the Jeep blogs that the 3.7 gassers have oil sensors that have the exact same symptom.
I'm going for the sensor and I'll let yall know the out come.
I still love my "Little Bully". All of the recals were free to fix and back when I was a teenager it was unheard of to get a vehicle to near 100,000k miles without it being worn out junk and my "Little Bully" is still like new.
Some people on here are whiners about their CRD's and they probably whine about everything in their lives or probably just take it out on their CRD. I don't know every thing about diesels but I have a diesel tractor and a 4 cylinder Perkins in my sailboat. If you want work done...it's a "DIESEL"!
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Go for it, be sure and post up how things work out. Good to see another CRD'r on the board !

Take a few pics and post those up too.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
flman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjake3 View Post
I don't have a mechanical pressure gauge but I'm willing to bet that it will cost about or more than $56.60 and then I would probably still have to buy the pressure sensor too.
56.60 + 56.60 = $113.20
I guess that is a good way to look at it, best of luck to you.
2010 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
2005 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

My white driving lights in the front grill of my 2005 2.8 crd don't work and I don't remember them ever working.
I replaced the relay and pulled one of the bulbs and it ohm'ed out fine.
Anybody else experience those lights not working?
Unread 11-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Does everything else on your multifunction switch (turn signal stalk/wiper controls) work properly? Do you have any other lighting issues?

Could possibly be the multifunction switch, but would rather know if you have other issues before just saying YUP, THAT'S WHAT IT IS
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

What is a malfunction switch?
I have no other issues.
Unread 11-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-birdJunkie View Post
Does everything else on your multifunction switch (turn signal stalk/wiper controls) work properly? Do you have any other lighting issues?

Could possibly be the multifunction switch, but would rather know if you have other issues before just saying YUP, THAT'S WHAT IT IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjake3 View Post
What is a malfunction switch?
I have no other issues.
Reread the post. MULTIfunction switch. It explains what it is.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

I searched for it.
I could not find what your talking about.
Link it to me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.