CRD Oil Capacity? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD Oil Capacity?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
SliderCRD

CRD Oil Capacity?

recently went in to my Chrysler dealer for my first oil change on the CRD....manual calls for 6.1 litres including that required to fill the filter.

I get billed for 8 litres...so I question it and told that 6.1 litres just fills it to the add mark on the dip stick and that it really requires 8 litres to fill....go figure??

Comments?

You guys / gals in the States paying $140 ( CDN) for CRD oil change??....

Also should the water seperator be serviced at any specific time....ie at oil change??

SliderCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
BVCRD

Here in the USA, we put in 6.4 qts period. No line, just full. On some, it won't be up to the full line because of mismarked dip sticks. The fuel filter should be changed every 25,000 miles. If you suspect water in the fuel, you can disconect the sensor, open up the drain and see if you get water out. And any time if the WIF sensor light comes on.
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
matr8er

you better make sure it isn't overfilled. The manual does not lie. You also have to compensate for the oil that is left in the engine after it drains. I go by quarts and I know you have a CRD, but it put in what the manual says and it fills it to the top mark perfectly. I have always gone by the manual and had the same result. Did you check the dipstick?
matr8er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by matr8er
you better make sure it isn't overfilled. The manual does not lie. You also have to compensate for the oil that is left in the engine after it drains. I go by quarts and I know you have a CRD, but it put in what the manual says and it fills it to the top mark perfectly. I have always gone by the manual and had the same result. Did you check the dipstick?

You must a newer style dip stick. I think there is a TSB out for the mismarked one. I made my own mark after draining the engine for 20 minutes, as well as carefully measuring . If you overfill it, the oil will go places that aren't desirable.
Unread 02-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
SliderCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
You must a newer style dip stick. I think there is a TSB out for the mismarked one. I made my own mark after draining the engine for 20 minutes, as well as carefully measuring . If you overfill it, the oil will go places that aren't desirable.
This a major dealership in Toronto,,,,,I hope they would know what they are doing

I'll double check the stick....my CRD was purchased last Nov 06 and I think a May 06 build....
Unread 02-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliderCRD
This a major dealership in Toronto,,,,,I hope they would know what they are doing

I'll double check the stick....my CRD was purchased last Nov 06 and I think a May 06 build....

You have the older stick. Only way to tell for sure though, is to change your own oil and measure it. I even sprung for an elcheapo plastic measuring cup for a throw away. I don't trust anyone, but that's just me. I have had my stick left laying across the engine before. I double check things if I am able to make sure. My stick shows 1/4 inch below full when it is indeed full with 6.4 qts.

Last edited by BVCRD; 02-15-2007 at 02:28 PM..
BVCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
SliderCRD

Quote:
You have the older stick. Only way to tell for sure though, is to change your own oil and measure it. I even sprung for an elcheapo plastic measuring cup for a throw away. I don't trust anyone, but that's just me. I have had my stick left laying across the engine before. I double check things if I am able to make sure. My stick shows 1/4 inch below full when it is indeed full with 6.4 qts.
BVCRD how do you know for sure I have the older stick?...from the dealers comments I mentioned?

Is there a recall on the stick if it is indeed not accurate?

How can I contact Jeep to get a straight answer without going through my dealer?
Unread 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
BVCRD

Quote:
BVCRD how do you know for sure I have the older stick?...from the dealers comments I mentioned?

Is there a recall on the stick if it is indeed not accurate?

How can I contact Jeep to get a straight answer without going through my dealer?

I am guessing based on your build date, but hey, maybe they made the correct ones first. That is why I put in the disclaimer for you to do it yourself at least once to know for sure. Any Jeep dealer should be able to look up a TSB for you and the stick. It isn't a recall by the way. I just made a new mark on mine where I new it was correct.
Unread 02-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
SliderCRD

Quote:
I am guessing based on your build date, but hey, maybe they made the correct ones first. That is why I put in the disclaimer for you to do it yourself at least once to know for sure. Any Jeep dealer should be able to look up a TSB for you and the stick. It isn't a recall by the way. I just made a new mark on mine where I new it was correct.
gotcha!
Unread 02-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
dirtmover

Quote:
If they really have put 8 litres in there they clearly don't know what they're doing. Go to another dealer and have them clarify.

It's a snap to change it yourself in 10-15 min. You don't need to raise the vehicle, heck you don't even need to go underneath as you can reach the drain and filter from the side.

You can get 8 litres of Esso XD-3 (0W40 synthetic) from WalMart plus a filter from Napa for around $60.

BTW I had the largest, 5 star, dealer in Ottawa tell me that the passenger airbag light should be on with no occupant in the seat despite me presenting them with a paragraph from the manual which states otherwise. I took it to another dealer and got the weight sensor recalibrated and it has functioned correctly since. The point of this? Big dealers don't always know ****!
dirtmover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
SliderCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtmover
If they really have put 8 litres in there they clearly don't know what they're doing. Go to another dealer and have them clarify.

It's a snap to change it yourself in 10-15 min. You don't need to raise the vehicle, heck you don't even need to go underneath as you can reach the drain and filter from the side.

You can get 8 litres of Esso XD-3 (0W40 synthetic) from WalMart plus a filter from Napa for around $60.

BTW I had the largest, 5 star, dealer in Ottawa tell me that the passenger airbag light should be on with no occupant in the seat despite me presenting them with a paragraph from the manual which states otherwise. I took it to another dealer and got the weight sensor recalibrated and it has functioned correctly since. The point of this? Big dealers don't always know ****!

my thoughts exactly......thanks
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #12
SliderCRD

my email just sent to Toronto Chrysler ...will let you know what I hear

Att Service Manager

I purchased an 06 Liberty CRD (Diesel) in Nov 06 from your dealership.

I was in for my first oil change last month and noticed on my bill that I got charged for 8 litres of Mobil 1 synthetic oil....so I called Vish in service who was kind enough to look into this for me and called me back ( I would like to add that Vish gives great service ). He advised that the tech said that when they fill the CRD's with the 6.1 litres as spec in the manual ( page 362) that it was not sufficient to fill the vehicle....understandable.

However I decided that if this was the case a bulletin from Jeep would have been sent out to amend this significant error in the owners manual....not to my knowledge has there been one?.

When I bough the CRD I decided to join a Jeep forum www.jeepforum.com on the internet in order to learn more about the ins and outs of owning a diesel ( my first) ...There are many knowledgable people on this site including some Chrysler techs.

Thinking about this further I decided to ask on the forum this very question and was responded to by several people who indicated that in fact some CRD's came with a dip stick that was not the correct length or marking and that in no uncertain terms that 6.1 litres ( 6.4 qts) was the correct amount of oil....and that adding excessive oil ( 2 litres is significant) could be dangerous for the engine.

I realize the CRD is not a common model and not sure how many you sell or service in Toronto ?....

I would appreciate if you could look into this issue with Chrysler/ Jeeps tech people and let me know your findings.

While my initial concern was being charged for too much oil ....my concern now really is over the correct amount of oil and the on going health of my engine.

Thanks in advance
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
BVCRD

Hope they get back to you. The answer should be in their system.
Unread 02-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
SliderCRD

I'll let you know....also wrote Shell and Sunoco on the fuel content issue in the other thread...
Unread 02-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #15
BVCRD

Quote:
I'll let you know....also wrote Shell and Sunoco on the fuel content issue in the other thread...

When I first came on here about a year ago, this topic was being discussed at length then. Hadn't seen it around for a while, but a refresh is always a good thing. I don't know if the search goes back that far or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.