CRD long crank time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD long crank time

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 11-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
s68139c
1991 YJ Wrangler 

CRD long crank time

Got an 06 CRD.... when after sitting overnight when abient air temp is below 10 degrees C, it will crank for around 11 seconds before starting, then run rough and smoke for a few seconds then clear up and run fine. Air/fuel filter is new, new glow plugs, injectors all tests ok, fuel pressure ok. But still cranks long time... Anyone run into this before?

s68139c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
indianrefining

Quote:
Originally Posted by s68139c
Got an 06 CRD.... when after sitting overnight when abient air temp is below 10 degrees C, it will crank for around 11 seconds before starting, then run rough and smoke for a few seconds then clear up and run fine. Air/fuel filter is new, new glow plugs, injectors all tests ok, fuel pressure ok. But still cranks long time... Anyone run into this before?
Are you waiting for your glow plug light to go off?
indianrefining is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
merlinTec

HI
Check the fuel heater plug on the filter housing, unplug it and check to see if it’s burnt and also check for any signs of fuel in the socket. This is a new issue and the plug can’t take the amps the heater pulls and so over heats and melts. This lets fuel out and air in, you could find if you pump the prime pump fuel will come out of the plug. I did an 05 lib today with the same fault as you.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
chadhargis
2008 WK 

I've always thought this was normal behavior for a diesel. They take a little while longer to start when it's really cold outside. They are compression ignition, which relys on heat created by the compression of the fuel/air mixture. If it's really cold, it will take a little while to get the combustion chamber warm enough to fire. Of course, when it does, you've got some raw, unburned fuel in your exhaust and it will smoke.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's that big an issue, plug in the engine block heater.
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
CATCRD
2005 KJ Liberty 

My 05 will crank in less than 2 seconds in any weather. Check what merlinTec said and also suggest to the dealer that your FCV may be sticking closed. It's like a throttle butterfly in your intake.
CATCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
s68139c
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec
HI
Check the fuel heater plug on the filter housing, unplug it and check to see if it’s burnt and also check for any signs of fuel in the socket. This is a new issue and the plug can’t take the amps the heater pulls and so over heats and melts. This lets fuel out and air in, you could find if you pump the prime pump fuel will come out of the plug. I did an 05 lib today with the same fault as you.
Regards,
Merlin

thanks for the input Merlin,We figured there was air getting in so we installed clear lines on the filter housing and let sit overnight, in morning there was large air bubles(2inches) in the clear lines. We eliminated the in tank module, no air coming from there, no cracks or holes in the lines, then we changed the filter housing. No codes in the system. Lots of power just doesn't want to start in the morning like she's hung over...

Last edited by s68139c; 11-05-2007 at 07:33 PM..
s68139c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
JoBo

Do a search over on LOST KJ. You have a classc air in the fuel and will need some type of lift pump. Air is seoerating from the fuel and getting trapped there. Elevated fuel pressures are causing the air to seperate from the fuel
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
merlinTec

Hi
Here is some pictures so you can see what to look for
Regards,
Merlin
picture076.jpg   picture079.jpg  
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
garrettb74
2006 KJ Liberty 

I think I'm having the same probelm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
HI
Check the fuel heater plug on the filter housing, unplug it and check to see if itís burnt and also check for any signs of fuel in the socket. This is a new issue and the plug canít take the amps the heater pulls and so over heats and melts. This lets fuel out and air in, you could find if you pump the prime pump fuel will come out of the plug. I did an 05 lib today with the same fault as you.
Regards,
Merlin
I've had my CRD stall a couple times lately and won't start after unless I hand prime it. I did notice fuel leakage at this plug. What is the remedy?
garrettb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First post - welcome to JF -

Replace the fuel head & wire plug with the new revised replacement one. You should do this ASAP considering there is visible fuel leaking (not to mention the air ingress). You do not want to be a fireball on the roadway or have a three mile island type incident.

If there was no fuel leaking you could just leave the heater plug unplugged until you got to replacing it. Yours is not that way though. There have literally been a few CRDs melted to the dirt from this not being addressed. Just saying .....

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

The link below has the part number for the redesigned fuel head assembly. This is a must have in your case and just good preventative maintenance for anyone else.

http://www.greendieselengineering.co...s/list/76.page
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
CodyJ5
2005 KJ Liberty 

If its cold outside, my '05 CRD takes a couple extra seconds to turn over. Like the guy said, normal for a diesel. I agree, plug in the engine block heater.
CodyJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.