CRD Liberty has power wont start after running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD Liberty has power wont start after running

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Projoman
2005 KJ Liberty 

CRD Liberty has power wont start after running

I have a 05 Liberty Diesel CRD Limited. 115,000 Kms

If it has been running or I turn on & right off again it will not start. (did this as part my diagnosis process) it doesn't even try to fire. There is Barely, if any clicks even.

It will not start with a boost. All the lights, radio, etc, come on but "she no start". (Lights are on but nobody is home!)

If I leave it for a while it starts right up. How long seems to depend on how hot it was.

I hear a clicking from the rear that I never noticed before. I thought at first it was the CD Changer but now I am not so sure.

Does any one have any Ideas? The options I am hearing from dealer are not cheap (new starter, etc.) & they have no real idea either. Of course I will have to pay even for their wrong answers!

Between replacing the Turbo hoses, brakes, etc. I have put a lot of $ into this in the last couple of months as it is.

The last time I took it in I joked there must be a button they push when they fix one thing so the next gets ready to go & here I am dealing with another problem in a short period of time.

There are a couple of threads where people seem to have similar issues but none of them say FIXED!

All input is appreciated!

Last edited by Projoman; 11-30-2009 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: insufficient info in original post
Projoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

On the first start or when it sits for a while it turns over and fires, and after that it won't even turn over - is that the just of things ?? That is quite odd. These little buggers don't like being low on starting voltage and can pitch a fit if they are. Is the original battery still in it ? Could be grounding issues also. Has the starter been tested or cables changed ?? Reaching quite a bit here by the way.

If you would fill in your Jeeps profile please - it helps when someone tries to respond to a question that you post.

First post -- Welcome to JF

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project

Last edited by 95BadBoy; 11-30-2009 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: If only I would learn to read.
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Projoman
2005 KJ Liberty 

I revised my original posting with some of the info you asked about.

Other quick notes.

At first I thought it was a heat based issue because the first time it occurred was after I had been sitting in it with the engine running for a 1/2 hour or so Thursday night. I turned off the engine then tried to start when I was ready to leave. Wife had to come to get us. Would not boost using her Pacifica.

Next day it started fine. Saturday I went to Canadian Tire to have the battery checked & when I got there it would not start when they went to take it into the garage.

They tried to boost then put on charger. Also tried replacing the battery with a new one off their shelf (not a "red top") & still nothing. (does not turn at all!)

Sun. AM went & got it & started right up.

Drove around doing things on Sun & left running when in stores, etc. (not the most enviromental)

This AM no problems, drove to work, I turned off & immediately tried to restart again & Nadda!

Went out an hour or so later & nothing. A couple hours after that it started fine. I ran it for few seconds, turned it off then tried to restart & again nothing.

Spoke to guy a Chrysler dealer & he said it is the Starter & said if I try starting few times it would eventually engage. I went out to Jeep & turned Key on & off 20+ times incl. taking key out many times & Nothing. (not great for ignition)

End of day I left the office, jumped in and it fired right up & I drove home. In driveway I turned it off & tried to restart & again seconds later & nobody home!

Odd is right! Thx for posting! I look forward to hearing some ideas. Thx!

Last edited by Projoman; 11-30-2009 at 07:44 PM..
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Projoman

Do you have any friends that are service techs that work for any repair shops? If so ask them to check the amp draw from the starter when cranking when cold and also after it's been running, as well as the cables to the starter for good clean contacts plus the engine ground. That may isolate whether this is actually a starter problem or something else. The fact that it will not crank with a jump start or boost after shut down - sounds very much like an issue that I experienced with my old GMC (was starter solenoid) and know that it might not have any relation to your CRD.

Unread 12-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Projoman
2005 KJ Liberty 

No friends with equipment these days.

I live in the city & drive a desk now.

I am hoping to figure out something that explains this weird problem rather than paying the dealership for trial & error. (They said if starter does not fix it, I have still bought a new starter!)

What makes it particularly odd to me is it starts right away, EVERY time if it has been sitting.

In fact I was concerned about it starting the other day & forgot to wait for the glow plug light to go out. It cranked for a while then fired up. If the starter was bad I would think it would have quit during that or would miss when "cold" at least occasionally. Same for a solenoid.

I need to get this straightened out ASAP as I need to get my boat in storage & have a business road trip planned. I cannot leave it running downtown nor risk it not starting after a meeting & leaving me stranded.

Anyone out there got any other ideas? Thx!
Unread 12-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

To me it sounds like you have a flat spot in your starter.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Projoman
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the response.

If the starter the old "bang on it while key is turned" trick should make it fire correct? I will try again tonight.

In meantime any other ideas?

As noted prev. it starts right up EVERY TIME if it has been sitting for a while & how long seems to depend on how hot it was when I turned it off.

Also there were no prev. issues with it starting before it happened the first time last Thurs. It has always started without any problems.

Can anyone tell me where the starter relay is? Other threads describe somewhat similar issues (not exact) and blame the relay though no one has posted "That worked" These threads talk about jumping the relay to check. (And also that is is WAY cheaper than a starter!) THX!!
Unread 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

It sounds like a bad armature in the starter,when the starter is hot,you lose continuity in that one spot and it wont start.If you put a volt meter on your battery,when you try to start,it shouldnt go below 91/2 volts,if it does your starter is bad.If you do the bang on starter then it starts,its a bad starter.You can get a rebuilt which will cost less,and some come with lifetime warranty.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Projoman
2005 KJ Liberty 

I thought about starting this post with #$%@ but decided against it.

The good news is it appears to be fixed. The bad news is I paid through the nose for it.

The dealership tested the starter & found it was not getting power. Working their way backward they figured it was the ignition switch & called me to advise it took a couple hours to figure that out (hourly rate charged) & that the switch would cost another couple of hundred $ in parts & labour.

I got a call later in the day, it still would not start so they opened the steering column & found there is a switch that Actuates the ignition that was broken. (No explanation on how that could have happened.) Apparently, you cannot buy the relay, you need a whole ($%#@*&) steering column. (I Know I said I wasn't going to do that)

A new one was $430 & one from the wrecker $100 less. Plus install.

So the end of the story is I have a mostly perfectly fine steering column (minus the relay I mentioned) sitting in my garage & am $850 poorer (Merry Christmas to me!) Note: That is a "discounted price" after I complained about the amount of time it took them to figure out the problem(s)

End of the story, if anyone has trouble starting their Jeep intermittently, you might want to check the steering column first.

BTW, last night the engine light was on when I started it! I sure hope that isn't the beginning of another saga!
Best of the season to all!
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about the cluster boink at the dealership, all too common though. Unusual about a whole steering column replacement. Good to hear your up and running. Get the code read and post up for your CEL.

Happy Holidays back to ya.

Unread 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Projoman
2005 KJ Liberty 

There was no error code for my issue. It came down to good old expensive trial & error. Then the actual repair of course.

I spent hours on this forum looking for answers but while a bunch of people posted what sounded like similar issues they never posted the solution. The threads just ended.

Hopefully if anyone else has this problem they can find my thread before the trial & error part. Not sure what they can do about having to buy the column but perhaps with advance warning they can find a less costly solution than I had to accept since the switch fell apart when they took the column apart & there was no choice then but to have it fixed.
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
jmueller
2005 KJ Liberty 

Just got off the phone with dealership service dept. and I have the same problem. Several days ago my wife was stranded in her Liberty after shopping - wouldn't start. Battery tested fine, cleaned corrosion off cables and terminals, etc.... still wouldn't start. I finally had it towed to the dealership this morning.

The service tech that just called described the same problem and same solution: replace the steering column (I guess I was lucky since they figured it out more quickly than you experienced). I asked him how that could happen and he replied with something about it getting twisted or turned too hard (no indication that this is a manufacturer problem). Hung up the phone, googled "jeep liberty, not starting, broken link in steering column," and this thread showed up high among the results.

I'm curious about how prevalent this particular problem is and how widespread a problem has to be for responsibility to be placed on the manufacturer. The cynic in me thinks they found it so fast in my wife's car because they know about this problem. Then again, they could be great mechanics, or it's not that hard to diagnose the problem. Who knows.
jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

jmueller

Well it is now pretty obvious that it is not a one time only occurrence. Something to keep in mind now on intermittent no start scenarios.

Is yours a gasser or a CRD?

First post - welcome to JF

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
djrobic
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for this post!

I had the exact problem where my CRD liberty would not start. The truck would not even attempt at turning over. I wasn't sure whether the battery was dead as a result at my MANY failed attempts to start it, or whether it was actual the reason for it failing to start, but it definitely seemed like a low battery issue (horn was barely audible when locking the doors, radio was cutting out when I would roll up or down the power windows, etc). What stumped me was that all I would hear when I turned the key, even while getting a boost, was the clicking of relays.

I broke down in a parking lot two stores down from a Canadian Tire store, so after reading this post, I pulled out the battery to have it tested. Sure enough the test came back as "replace" so whether the battery was the actual problem or not, I knew the money spent on a new battery wouldn't be wasted. I dropped in the new battery and the truck fired up without even thinking twice about it.

Before reading this post I was looking at getting a tow truck to take it a couple blocks down the street to the nearest dealership for a diagnosis, PLUS having to rent a truck with a hitch so I could return my neighbor's trailer I had borrowed... A lot of money saved by taking a few minutes to google the solution!

Thank you so much gmctd for taking the time to reply to this article (i.e. "The CRD won't attempt to start if low battery voltage is sensed by ECM")!
djrobic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
crsantin

I posted this in another thread. My 02 is in the shop right now with the same issue.

Cold start was never an issue, but once it got hot and I shut her off, I couldn't start it again until it cooled off. Power everywhere but wouldn't even turn over or make a clicking sound.

I took it to the dealer multiple times and they failed to fix it. They replaced the ignition switch but that failed to address the issue.

Took it to my regular mechanic and left it with him for a few days. He was able to trace it to the neutral safety switch which is located in or around the transmission. I have 170,000 kms on mine and this problem started at about 150,000 kms. I've spent the better part of a year trying to get this issue resolved.

I think it is a fairly common problem on the Liberty model. In my months of searching and trying to educate myself, I've found the following possibilities:

1. Starter
2. Fuse box located right in front of your battery. Sometimes the connections corrode causing a break in the signal chain
3. Ignition switch located in the steering column. If you peek inside the left of the column you will see a white plastic piece. Poke that with a long screw driver and try to start your vehicle. If it starts after you lightly tap it, then that's your culprit.
4. Neutral safety switch. Try jiggling or moving your gear selector, switch gears with the ignition engaged, move it in and out of park, try starting in neutral. If the vehicle starts, then this is your culprit.

I'm not sure why my Jeep dealer couldn't find the issue. I suspect they just didn't want to be bothered as they could make more money doing easier and quicker maintainence on other vehicles. I won't be shopping there for my next purchase.

Hope this helps.
crsantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.