CRD Glow Plug Failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD Glow Plug Failure

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
andyc979

CRD Glow Plug Failure

Hi everyone. Had an engine warning light on (again) so took the car to the dealer (again). They said a glow plug had failed and replaced it. The car is an 05 model 2.8CRD with only 19000 miles and this is now the 3rd time this has happened. I've now had glow plugs 1, 2 and 4 fail and am just waiting for no. 3 to go. Has anyone else had glow plug problems as I've run diesels for many years and never had failures like this on other vehicles?
PS Using the key on-off (x4) method I showed P1276 on the odometer. An internet site gave this as "accelerator pedal position sensor1 circuit performance" but the dealer said they picked up a completely different code using their plug-in tester which led them to replace the glow plug.

andyc979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Glow plug failure was very common but they upgraded the glow plugs and a flash for the ECM to stop them burning out. Have they done the flash? There should be a label on the ECM under the bonnet (hood)
P0671-4 are glow plug fault codes P2120-5 are pedal fault codes Can’t find P1276.
I would say they are replacing the plugs with incorrect ones or they have not carried out the T.S.B 18-009-05 if you need to point it out to them.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
andyc979

Thanks Merlin. I'll check with my dealer here in Inverness (Bonnie, but chilly, Scotland) to see if they've done as you suggest.
andyc979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
crs524
2008 WK 

After 2 glow plug and a control module I figure it how.
First from the passanger side front to back is cylinder 1,3,5 but for the glow plug CCT it is 1,2,3
From the driver side (left hand in Canada) cylinder are 2,4,6 and for the glow plug it is 4,5,6

Here is the wiring diagram for the glow plug CCT
2012-10-06_153124_glow-plug.jpg  
crs524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs524 View Post
After 2 glow plug and a control module I figure it how.
First from the passanger side front to back is cylinder 1,3,5 but for the glow plug CCT it is 1,2,3
From the driver side (left hand in Canada) cylinder are 2,4,6 and for the glow plug it is 4,5,6

Here is the wiring diagram for the glow plug CCT
How do you get 6 glow plugs on a Jeep liberty CRD?
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc979 View Post
Thanks Merlin. I'll check with my dealer here in Inverness (Bonnie, but chilly, Scotland) to see if they've done as you suggest.
best place for CRD issues is the CRD section at:http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum

The replacement Glow Plugs from the dealers are 5 volt plugs and need a new plug controller to go with it and need to have the ECM programmed by the Dealer before connecting up the new glow plugs.

Most CRD owners are rather buying 7 volt metal glow plugs from an Italian company called Ecotec....these do not need a new glow plug controller or re-programming of the ECU and have a good reputation......check out Lost for details
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
best place for CRD issues is the CRD section at:http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum

The replacement Glow Plugs from the dealers are 5 volt plugs and need a new plug controller to go with it and need to have the ECM programmed by the Dealer before connecting up the new glow plugs.

Most CRD owners are rather buying 7 volt metal glow plugs from an Italian company called Ecotec....these do not need a new glow plug controller or re-programming of the ECU and have a good reputation......check out Lost for details
I bought two from this company. Expect 13 days for delivery.

http://www.dieselglowplug.com/gx3123...lfjd30mfcla5c2
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

dcxman

That looks quite interesting. I see the discounts for larger orders.

Let us know what you think about em.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project

Last edited by 95BadBoy; 06-06-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Fat fingered the board.
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post
dcxman

That looks quite interesting. I see the discounts for larger orders.

Let us know what you think about em.
I only used one of the two plugs in order to replace a failed one on a good cylinder. I still have one to use in the future. The #1 cylinder plug has been bypassed due to leakage caused by ceramic tip going through head. Tried to fix it by milling head. Helped some but still leaking about a quart every 5k miles. Been that way for over 53k miles. May replace head at 200 k maintenance.
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.