CRD Fuel Leak?! HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD Fuel Leak?! HELP!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
T1m0thy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

CRD Fuel Leak?! HELP!

So I purchased my New 2006 Liberty CRD a few weeks ago. We've loved it to death the whole time we've had it, but the last time I filled up with gas I noticed a strong diesel smell. I didn't think anything of it as the station but it followed me home and was strong all day. Tonight I noticed that there was fuel on the ground beneath the engine.

Long story short, I started from the top of the engine to start looking for a leak and found it right on top! I'm still learning all the in's and outs, but I really need someone to tell me where to start before the dealership takes me to the cleaners. I've got some pictures, hopefully I this doesn't mean the end of my Liberty named Lucy. Help!

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

T1m0thy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Not a CRD guru, but from the pics, I can't see a source of the fuel leak. There are the injectors and the steel fuel line coming off them. Need to look for stains to see where it's coming from exactly.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:08 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

You probably have a leaking injector connection.
That is extremely high pressure fuel coming out in that area....you need to hold a piece of paper around there to see where the fuel is leaking...it can cut right through your skin!

Download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here...some say you need the 2005 Service manual as well as one covers some items that the other leaves out and vice versa.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

If you do not come right go to the CRD section at lostjeeps
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
T1m0thy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, so in the daylight now running I've figured out where the leak is. I'm not sure if there is a washer or some sort of seal that I'll need to replace. It's leaking right from the nut at the end of the fuel line going into what I believe are the injectors. Am I right?

Luckily it's not spraying, just dripping. But I'm sure it'll get worse if it's not taken care of. Chilton guide is worthless unless I'm changing a light bulb or something...
photo-4.jpg

Unread 04-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

I think that is the fuel return line back to the tank...I have never worked in that area but I think that is a low pressure return line....the Service manual should have more information.

Maybe it needs a small Jubilee clip to clamp the hose tight?

The CRD section at lostjeeps should be able to help.
Unread 04-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
T1m0thy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So, it turned out to be the High Pressure Supply Line into the fuel injector from the rail. The fuel injector itself on #3 was bad and has to be replaced and caused the line to back up. Unfortunately a $1000 job and in the shop now.
Unread 04-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
GDE
2005 KJ Liberty 

We have new injectors for $300 if you want to save some dough. GDE
GDE is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.