CRD down! CRD down! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD down! CRD down!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
sunreceffect
2005 KJ Liberty 

CRD down! CRD down!

Hello Out There,
I love my CRD but its not been easy. Three Dealerships in my area couldn't figure out my EGR issues. But thats not the lastest issue.
I just replaced the windshield and while driving it 3 days later in the rain, it started buggin' out on me. First, the battery & ignition symbols. Then, the radio started cutting off & on. By the time I got home, the instrument cluster was lit up like a christmas tree. The next morning it would not start. The instrument cluster flashes and when I try to crank it, I get clicking. FML this things extended warranty just ran out in March.

After I find a PDF service manual I have somewhere, I intend to scan it. I don't expect much because I hear the CRDs have a lot of non-generic codes that regular scanners won't pick up. Then, I will tear down the dash and look for a leak

I'm looking for advice on a good scanner or software. Also, where to start looking for the trouble. Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by sunreceffect; 05-20-2012 at 08:57 PM..
sunreceffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Everything you described above is typically what happens when your battery takes a crap. Jeeps really freak out when the battery doesn't perform how it properly should. How old is it? If there is any doubt, replace it and go from there.
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

honestly the symptoms you have sound like your charging system failed
check the fuses for the alternator power first
after that begin testing components
if your alternator dies( which is what your case sounds like)
then the battery will power the vehicle until it runs out of juice
lights will dim slowly, radio will start cutting out, and things will act really funky

don't just replace the battery, test the charging system first, no point in throwing a new battery in it just so that can go dead too
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Exactly what these guys^^^^ have said.
Check your battery and battery connections first and then check your alternator is charging.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.