CRD Died!?!? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 AM
cerich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
Basically, anything that happens in traffic can be a safety issue. Even a flat tire, but I dought they are going to demand that car manufacturers start putting run flats on every vehicle. The EGR failure at least let's the driver limp off to a safe place. Then shut it down, and restart to get home. Better than some breakdowns.
Except that they will recall tires that show they are more likely to fail than they should be.
Which the CRD's EGR and TC issues fall into.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerich
Except that they will recall tires that show they are more likely to fail than they should be.
Which the CRD's EGR and TC issues fall into.

Tires like the old Firestone 721s, yes. But the TC and EGR failures on the CRD are not numerous enough to be in that catagory. Remember, it is only happening to 1 or 2% of all CRDs.

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
post #18 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 07:43 AM
naturist

First of all, it's happened to me, too, and one time it was because the wrench had forgotten to tighten the clamp on a fuel line, so it was sucking air. The other time it was because my fuel filter was clogging due to a dose of bad go-juice.

Both these instances were clearly due to low fuel pressure, and in both cases, once the problem occured, it was necessary to shut off the engine for a few seconds in order to reset things, although in both instances I was able to continue driving with very nearly no power for a while. (I tested hypotheses!)

It is possible that your fuel filter has clogged to the point of being just on the edge of marginal, such that you might be able to do the shut down/reset trick and after the restart it would be fine until the next time you called for a bit more power than the thing could deliver. This was how it was when my filter clogged up. At first it happened only on wide open throttle, then at anything past 3/4, then at 1/2 . . . .

There is, of course, one other possibility that no one else has mentioned: software bug. A sensor throws one spurious reading a bit out of bounds under the right conditions, and the ECU goes into a panic unnecessarily . . . .

post #19 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 07:48 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist
First of all, it's happened to me, too, and one time it was because the wrench had forgotten to tighten the clamp on a fuel line, so it was sucking air. The other time it was because my fuel filter was clogging due to a dose of bad go-juice.

Both these instances were clearly due to low fuel pressure, and in both cases, once the problem occured, it was necessary to shut off the engine for a few seconds in order to reset things, although in both instances I was able to continue driving with very nearly no power for a while. (I tested hypotheses!)

It is possible that your fuel filter has clogged to the point of being just on the edge of marginal, such that you might be able to do the shut down/reset trick and after the restart it would be fine until the next time you called for a bit more power than the thing could deliver. This was how it was when my filter clogged up. At first it happened only on wide open throttle, then at anything past 3/4, then at 1/2 . . . .

There is, of course, one other possibility that no one else has mentioned: software bug. A sensor throws one spurious reading a bit out of bounds under the right conditions, and the ECU goes into a panic unnecessarily . . . .

..................or, he put his feet on both the gas pedal and the brake at the same time. That will do it too, but I go with the more likely first. If he has been maintaining his vehicle, changing filters and such, it is less likely a fuel issue. But it could be. Could be he sucked the bottom of the storage tank dry and got all the crap, but not if they had their filters in place.

post #20 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 AM
cerich

Quote:
Tires like the old Firestone 721s, yes. But the TC and EGR failures on the CRD are not numerous enough to be in that catagory. Remember, it is only happening to 1 or 2% of all CRDs.
and the LBJ was in less than 1/10 of 1% of Liberty's
post #21 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
and the LBJ was in less than 1/10 of 1% of Liberty's

Exactly. Things are going to happen. These things are mechanical. All anyone can do is work the problem, just like NASA. Replace things that are covered under warranty, and working through good customer relations, negotiate the rest. Or, trade the darn thing off. There are few guarantees in this world, at least not after 36,000 miles.

post #22 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 AM
cerich

Quote:
Exactly. Things are going to happen. These things are mechanical. All anyone can do is work the problem, just like NASA. Replace things that are covered under warranty, and working through good customer relations, negotiate the rest. Or, trade the darn thing off. There are few guarantees in this world, at least not after 36,000 miles.
exactly and the LBJ's were recalled. I don't expect anything in life to be "safe", but it is reasonable to expect when there are parts used in a new vehicle that they be as safe as possible for a reasonable amount of time.

The EGR and TC's have been going on vehicles with less than 10K on them.

NASA is a poor example, it has been proven that people can go into space just as safely and for much less money (as is always the cae when it isn't funded by government..)

I personally feel the CRD is an exellent vehicle, however its plus don't negate the negatives.
post #23 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
exactly and the LBJ's were recalled. I don't expect anything in life to be "safe", but it is reasonable to expect when there are parts used in a new vehicle that they be as safe as possible for a reasonable amount of time.

The EGR and TC's have been going on vehicles with less than 10K on them.

NASA is a poor example, it has been proven that people can go into space just as safely and for much less money (as is always the cae when it isn't funded by government..)

I personally feel the CRD is an exellent vehicle, however its plus don't negate the negatives.

How you figure? I was just stating that everyone has to work through problems.......just like NASA. It wasn't my intention to make this a liberal gov't issue.

And, there have been 98 and 99% of these vehicle that haven't needed a replacement EGR or TC. My point is go to any other auto chat site and you will find someone beeotching about the car be it a Vette, or a Caddy. It's what people do.

post #24 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 09:57 AM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman
I tried this, and got the CEL. Will it reset itself or do I need to go to the dealer. Will an OBD reader reset this? Or does the CRD use a special OBD reader?
Try "Ctrl + Alt + Del" Actually disconnect the battery for a few seconds, should clear the CEL but may show store an "historic" code in the ECM. The next time the tech plugs you into DC's computer, the historic code may give them a false indication of a possible EGR problem. My hunch is DC would require a tech to clear these codes and try for a repeat before they will authorize and EGR repair.
post #25 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 PM
roxylulu22

Mine dies too!

I had a similar issue about a month or so ago. I was driving home from an out of state trip, got stuck in a traffic jam and as I was getting out of it I hit the gas and nothing happened. It just had no power. Pulled into a gas station, called roadside assistance and a tow truck was going to be on it's way. I went to start up my Jeep to move it to a better spot for the tow truck and it was fine. I called cancelled the tow and drove the rest of the way home. It ran fine for about a week and then one day before work I started it up, backed out of the garage and went to shut the garage door and it died, would not start again. Had it towed to the dealership and they found the Fuel Quantity Solenoid was Faulty. They replaced this and my Jeep ran great for about a week or two. No shuddering or anything (I normally have problems with bad shuddering). I did notice a big drop in my MPG though (from about 27 to about 22). Now my Jeep started shuddering again and MPG is back up, I am thinking it might be ready to break again. I have an oil change coming up soon so I will see what they say. Hope this helps some.
post #26 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxylulu22
Had it towed to the dealership and they found the Fuel Quantity Solenoid was Faulty.
Fuel Quantity Solenoid, that's a new one for the defect list. Do you have a details? Location? What it looks like? Cost?
post #27 of 29 Old 09-13-2006, 02:28 PM
flman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCRD
Try "Ctrl + Alt + Del" Actually disconnect the battery for a few seconds, should clear the CEL but may show store an "historic" code in the ECM. The next time the tech plugs you into DC's computer, the historic code may give them a false indication of a possible EGR problem. My hunch is DC would require a tech to clear these codes and try for a repeat before they will authorize and EGR repair.
Yeah, roll on the floor some more. The light already went away by itself. On my TDI I installed an Epsilon device, it is a vacuum switch with a resistor and a diode, it is wired in series with the MAF. It fools the computer into thinking the EGR is working. Bet you never did that?

Still Burnin Oil since 1992!
GDE ECO Tuned 2006 CRD Sport Black, B&G Trans drain kit, Front and rear hooks, Full Skids
GDE HOT Tuned 2006 CRD LTD Silver, B&G Trans drain kit GDE TCM tune
2010 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
2005 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
post #28 of 29 Old 09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman
Yeah, roll on the floor some more. The light already went away by itself. On my TDI I installed an Epsilon device, it is a vacuum switch with a resistor and a diode, it is wired in series with the MAF. It fools the computer into thinking the EGR is working. Bet you never did that?
No, but that's an interesting thought. I have a feeling that Yankee ingenuity will eventually come through and we will have some plug-ins to fool the computer, allowing us to plate over the ports without a CEL.
post #29 of 29 Old 09-14-2006, 08:38 AM
dthorpe

When I had the power loss issue, they replaced by by Fuek RAIL Solenoid and the EGR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.