CRD Died!?!? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-09-2006, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
rmnoonan

CRD Died!?!?

Trusted advisors-

I was driving tonight, going about 55MPH when the CRD lost some power... it kept going but when I pushed on the gas, the engine/trans started to shudder (like when only one window is open) and started making a lot of noise. I'd push the gas, and it wouldn't give me any more power. It wasn't stopping or slowing down, per se, but it just maintained power and woudln't give me any more.

I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the engine off. When I tried to start it up again it wouldn't at all... it sounded like the engine was clogged up or something, just wouldn't crank at all.. So, I pulled out the warranty roadside assistance card, dialed up the 800 number, and just when someone answered the phone the CRD started right up and drove 30 miles without a hitch!

ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUE WHAT IT IS???

The only thing I did today that was different was I put it in 4-LO for a little <10MPH straight driving stint just to see it...could that have messed up my car?

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Cowpie1

Seems like most all of us have had the problem early in our CRD relationship.

I was out of state with my semi when my wife called me with the same problem. I told her that since the engine and tranny are all on computer, turn it off, wait about 15-20 seconds and restart. It started back up and has run good since. That was a few months ago.

Have never quite figured out the problem, but this has also been noted on the semi's with auto shift transmissions. Seems, for some reason, that the various computers get to not talking nice to each other. A reboot and they are fine.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 06:52 AM
VTNomad
2012 JK Wrangler 

Diesel

You might have got a hold of some bad fuel. It's happened to me a time or two. I always try to buy my fuel along the interstate where a lot of truckers go.

2012 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door

post #4 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 07:49 AM
03blackfx4

Could be bad fuel, a clogged fuel filter or air in the fuel, all of which will cause exactly what you stated.
post #5 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 AM
homebudz
2008 JK Wrangler 

If it was "bad fuel",or a "clogged filter",the problem would not go away with just a restart,imho.

2008 JK Wrangler X with the "S" package.Flowmaster 40.K&N dropin.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 09:22 AM
JoBo

Your not alone. See this thread:
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=11620

JoBo
Columbus, Ohio USA
2006 KJ CRD Atlantic Blue Pearl Coat Limited
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
post #7 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 10:21 AM
BVCRD

Sounds like you had a failure with one of the EGR components. Wouldn't say it happens to everyone as it hasn't happened to me yet. It went into the limp in mode. When you restart it, it sort of resets things and you're good to go until it happens again. Have it checked out because it WILL happen again.

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
post #8 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 AM
03blackfx4

If the fiter was semi clogged then it is possible as the "dirt" would settle to the bottom of the filter when the flow stopped then come back. I could also be the EGR valve as noted, this could cause boost to bypass back through the intake. Just wondering why don't you guys unplug your egrs like other diesel owners?
post #9 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 04:14 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03blackfx4
Just wondering why don't you guys unplug your egrs like other diesel owners?
Unfortunately, it's not that simple on this engine. The computer controls on the EGR and other related systems make it tinker-proof. Even plating over an EGR tube port will throw a CEL.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 04:18 PM
flman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCRD
Unfortunately, it's not that simple on this engine. The computer controls on the EGR and other related systems make it tinker-proof. Even plating over an EGR tube port will throw a CEL.
I tried this, and got the CEL. Will it reset itself or do I need to go to the dealer. Will an OBD reader reset this? Or does the CRD use a special OBD reader?

Still Burnin Oil since 1992!
GDE ECO Tuned 2006 CRD Sport Black, B&G Trans drain kit, Front and rear hooks, Full Skids
GDE HOT Tuned 2006 CRD LTD Silver, B&G Trans drain kit GDE TCM tune
2010 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
2005 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
post #11 of 29 Old 09-10-2006, 04:55 PM
flman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman
I tried this, and got the CEL. Will it reset itself or do I need to go to the dealer. Will an OBD reader reset this? Or does the CRD use a special OBD reader?
Owners manual says a CEL will reset itself with out a trip to the dealer.

Still Burnin Oil since 1992!
GDE ECO Tuned 2006 CRD Sport Black, B&G Trans drain kit, Front and rear hooks, Full Skids
GDE HOT Tuned 2006 CRD LTD Silver, B&G Trans drain kit GDE TCM tune
2010 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
2005 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
post #12 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 06:09 AM
cerich

I don't think it was EGR related, sound like the TC was locking/unlocking confused enough to throw a code so the unit went into limp mode. The restart worked fine because the TC wasn't confused anymore.

You should make a NHTSB report, suddenly slowing down on a highway at night with no brake lights can be a receipe for a rear ender!

Check out the CRD section in lost, others are doing just this to try and force DC to find/fix the issue.
post #13 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerich
I don't think it was EGR related, sound like the TC was locking/unlocking confused enough to throw a code so the unit went into limp mode. The restart worked fine because the TC wasn't confused anymore.

You should make a NHTSB report, suddenly slowing down on a highway at night with no brake lights can be a receipe for a rear ender!

Check out the CRD section in lost, others are doing just this to try and force DC to find/fix the issue.

The way he explained it is EXACTLY what happens when the EGR goes bad.

post #14 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 07:25 AM
cerich

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
The way he explained it is EXACTLY what happens when the EGR goes bad.
I just reread his post and you are correct, I've been having the bucking like heck issues that go with the TC, so when I read shudder that's what I thought of.

The EGR is still a safety issue with how it behaves when bad.
post #15 of 29 Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerich
I just reread his post and you are correct, I've been having the bucking like heck issues that go with the TC, so when I read shudder that's what I thought of.

The EGR is still a safety issue with how it behaves when bad.

Basically, anything that happens in traffic can be a safety issue. Even a flat tire, but I dought they are going to demand that car manufacturers start putting run flats on every vehicle. The EGR failure at least let's the driver limp off to a safe place. Then shut it down, and restart to get home. Better than some breakdowns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.