CRD 2.8 diesel short block - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CRD 2.8 diesel short block

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

A disaster has befalling me.
The dealer says a piston is stretched and touching the head at 93k miles and while i was on cruise control.
I don't know how that happens on cruise control.
Anyway, the dealer wants 7k+ for a long block, plus install and one year warranty.
I found a used with 6ok miles for 4,300 in michigan.
Im on the mississippi gulf coast.
any help?
Jake

Update: sorry this took so long.

I took my Libby to Corsicana Texas and the dealer there installed a new crate 2.8 for $3k and gave me a 70k warranty.
I could not be happier.
I have 20k miles on it now and runs perfect.
I got a great deal on the Libby so I'm still under blue book.
Don't deal with Champion dodge in gulfport, Mississippi. They are liars and thieves.

andrewjake3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Chrysler has a # for a reman. My dealer offered a swap out for $5500. Check dealer for availability.
99 Harley Sportster
88 Ford 350 diesel dump truck
02 Northwing Maverick Legend weight shift trike
dcxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

andrewjake3

Dealer says the piston is stretched? Were they any more concise - like the wrist pin in the piston or something of that order? Any chance that the timing belt had an issue @ 93K - only asking about the belt as our 2.8 is an interference motor and is due to be changed at 100K.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

dealer told me 7k+.
the sound was like a slapping sound. i though it was the timing belt but he pulled the cover and it was fine...then he pulled the head and said it was the piston...i'm sure it was the wrist pin hole about to break...anyway the short block needs to be replaced and my local reman shop has no part source other than the dealer and it took them a month for a water pump.
i found a used one in a salvage yard for 4,300 in michigan...
can you believe back when i bought the jeep march of 08 i saw a ebay listing for a 2.8 crd engine for $500 and it didn't sell. last year i still had the guys addy and asked if he still had it and he did. sometime over the last year I LOST THE ADDY.
i'm so screwed...
Unread 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Might be worth a try to google or other - to locate the closest VM Motori person for North America. Might take a lot of calls. There are a lot of VM's in the boat world besides whats in our KJ's. These blocks are sleeved & rebuild-able, with possible help from VM (if a contact can be located) to get individual parts would be grand. Going through a dealer would be wasted effort I think.

Another thought, might be worth a call - to Kieth at Green Diesel Engineering out of Michigan. Chances could be good that he would have a possible VM contact.

You lost the addy for a $500 CRD motor - Man I would have scooped that up so fast & set it in the corner of my neighbors dog house if need be.

Unread 09-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

yea, I was going to buy it for my boat but we were recovering from losing two homes and a business in Katrina then the oil leak hit us. I'm looking at selling everything and moving to Puerto Vallarta, mexico to start over.
Unread 09-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #7
scottunangst

crd motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjake3 View Post
yea, I was going to buy it for my boat but we were recovering from losing two homes and a business in Katrina then the oil leak hit us. I'm looking at selling everything and moving to Puerto Vallarta, mexico to start over.
i see them on ebay pulled from wrecks around $3500. look for them under auto parts / liberty crd or diesel. swaping everything over to a new block sounds like a big job. my crd will downshift on a steep hill on cruise controll and the engine will surge and up shift again. good luck
scottunangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

update...the dealer called and the price factory reman of the long block is 4,800+ install+1,000 i already got in the exploratory and parts=7K.
He said 12 month 12k mile warranty.
The used one has 60K miles, no warranty and $4,300.
The dealer said they could not get the connecting rods from the factory period so they cannot do the rebuild.
Same thing my local reman shop said.
I think GM bought VM Motori for their Cadillac sts v6 CRD's(I read it somewhere).
I talked to the diesel mechanic and confirmed it is the #2 piston rod, could be crank bearing or wrist pin bearing.
anybody???
Unread 09-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

boys and girls...it is what it is...obviously I am the "one in the million"...there are NO...other cases like mine...
oh well...
damn...i really loved my "Little Bully".
Unread 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

unless someone has a connecting rod, piston and gasket set and the know how to rebuild it or just the parts i'm going to have to buy a new engine...ANYBODY?
If I can get the parts i can get a local machine shop to reman it....Parts anybody?
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

https://www.jeepoemparts.com/login.html
FANTASTIC....thanks guys...I went to that site and the search says they have the 4 connecting rods for $460 bucks...fantastic...I guessing around $3K for the rebuild total now instead of the reman for $7,400 with the dealer...YIPPEE.
Now I have to confirm the parts at the 800 number Monday and confirm the rebuild with my machine shop...
hell yea...HELL YEA.....THANKS GUYS....
I'll let you know how it all comes out...
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

Now that I have a source for parts and a machine shop to do the engine work.
How about a mechanic with experience and credentials that will come here and finish doing the pull out and the engine return.
ANYBODY???
I'm in Pass Christian, Mississippi near Gulfport, Mississippi.???
Unread 11-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well, The jeep in still sitting on my car hauler and I'm waiting on an engine from Chrysler or a mechanic that I can find to do a rebuild.
It's supposed to come in on dec.1st.
Any mechanic out there wanting to do the work?
Unread 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have no contacts anywhere near your area

But a bump for you in case someone did not see this.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
andrewjake3
2005 KJ Liberty 

thanks

I appreciate that...i made a shout out and it didn't even echooooo.

Tags
liberty , long block , rebuilt engine , short block

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.