cooling system issue after dealer work on timing belt & waterpump. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
surfcrd

cooling system issue after dealer work on timing belt & waterpump.

Hi I have a 2005 CRD with 111000 miles on it. I did the GDE eco tune a long time ago. I never had a over heating problem until now. I made the mistake of taking my jeep to the dealer to change timing belt,waterpump & new hoses. I took it on 3 hour trip to the shore a few days after I got it back. @ hourd into trip I smelled antifreeze & gage read almost to H. I was running AC as well. I stopped & looked at engine electric fan not running & hydrolic fan was on. I let it cool off & went on my way. The temp. gage gradually rose to 3/4 and I turned AC off. I checked fANS & electric was off &hydraulic was on. After a bit temp gage went to 1/2. I checked both fans & they were on. I decided to run AC and gage held at 1/2. On the trip home the same thing happened on & off. I took it to dealer. The first day they had it local temp was in low 70,s. They said they ran it for hours & drove it with gage not going more than 1-2 notches towards hot. They said they checked every thing else. I explained to them that the problem was electric fan. They make have nicked or pinched one of wires to fan or controller. I also tested the fan & hi & lo controllers before hand. They didn't listen to me. I made they keep it another day. It was in the 80s today& I got a call saying they saw it running hot but not boiling over. They called me later & said bad fan clutch ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
surfcrd

Please give me your thoughts about this.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
surfcrd

Is it possible the tech damaged fan clutch when he removed or reinstalled it to replace timing belt. It is clear to me that he could have caused a short in the electric fan wiring. The service manager is not acknowledging that there is an issue with the electric fan wiring.
Has anyone had a problem after dealer timing belt job?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
TwoBobsKJ

2003 KJ Liberty 

I'm not terribly familiar with the CRD but based on your description and the dealer's diagnosis something is backwards...

You indicate the mechanical fan was spinning but the electric fan was not. The dealer says the fan clutch (which starts/stops the mech fan) is bad, which has nothing to do with the electric fan.

"Suggest" to them that you want the tech to do a diagnostic on the electric fan to insure it is operating properly. One other thing that is an issue with the gasser: Make sure the thermostat is installed in the proper direction. It is common for the gasser thermostat to be installed backwards; when installed this way it closes when the coolant gets hotter. Maybe an issue with your CRD...?

My 2 cents.

Bob

2003 Renegade, Black
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt XRC 9500lb Winch, 4X Guard Trans skid, Skid Row Engine skid, Factory T-case & Tank skids, Custom BoulderBars, JBA Front Coilovers, OME 948 rear springs, Bilstein rear shocks, JBA A-Arms, Moabs with Goodyear Duratracs 265/70-16
post #5 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
surfcrd

Thanks Bob based on what I read and the fact that I didn not have a prior issue with fan it makes sense. I will call theme day am !

Tags
cooling issues , dealer install , over heat , timing belt , water pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.