cooling system issue after dealer work on timing belt & waterpump. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > cooling system issue after dealer work on timing belt & waterpump.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
surfcrd

cooling system issue after dealer work on timing belt & waterpump.

Hi I have a 2005 CRD with 111000 miles on it. I did the GDE eco tune a long time ago. I never had a over heating problem until now. I made the mistake of taking my jeep to the dealer to change timing belt,waterpump & new hoses. I took it on 3 hour trip to the shore a few days after I got it back. @ hourd into trip I smelled antifreeze & gage read almost to H. I was running AC as well. I stopped & looked at engine electric fan not running & hydrolic fan was on. I let it cool off & went on my way. The temp. gage gradually rose to 3/4 and I turned AC off. I checked fANS & electric was off &hydraulic was on. After a bit temp gage went to 1/2. I checked both fans & they were on. I decided to run AC and gage held at 1/2. On the trip home the same thing happened on & off. I took it to dealer. The first day they had it local temp was in low 70,s. They said they ran it for hours & drove it with gage not going more than 1-2 notches towards hot. They said they checked every thing else. I explained to them that the problem was electric fan. They make have nicked or pinched one of wires to fan or controller. I also tested the fan & hi & lo controllers before hand. They didn't listen to me. I made they keep it another day. It was in the 80s today& I got a call saying they saw it running hot but not boiling over. They called me later & said bad fan clutch ?

surfcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
surfcrd

Please give me your thoughts about this.
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
surfcrd

Is it possible the tech damaged fan clutch when he removed or reinstalled it to replace timing belt. It is clear to me that he could have caused a short in the electric fan wiring. The service manager is not acknowledging that there is an issue with the electric fan wiring.
Has anyone had a problem after dealer timing belt job?
Unread 08-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

I'm not terribly familiar with the CRD but based on your description and the dealer's diagnosis something is backwards...

You indicate the mechanical fan was spinning but the electric fan was not. The dealer says the fan clutch (which starts/stops the mech fan) is bad, which has nothing to do with the electric fan.

"Suggest" to them that you want the tech to do a diagnostic on the electric fan to insure it is operating properly. One other thing that is an issue with the gasser: Make sure the thermostat is installed in the proper direction. It is common for the gasser thermostat to be installed backwards; when installed this way it closes when the coolant gets hotter. Maybe an issue with your CRD...?

My 2 cents.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
surfcrd

Thanks Bob based on what I read and the fact that I didn not have a prior issue with fan it makes sense. I will call theme day am !

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.