Coolant smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Coolant smell

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Coolant smell

I can smell coolant through the vents every time I put my heater or defroster on. I can also smell it outside the car after driving and parking. I have checked the passenger side carpet to see if it's wet thinking maybe the heater core is the problem but it's dry. There is no coolant on the ground under it and no visible leaks from any hoses. The coolant level stays where it's supposed to, I'm stumped. Anybody have any ideas or have these symptoms?

DarkSport11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You could still be loosing coolant thru the heater core. And it may or may not leak on the floor. A lot of times it will slowly leak out of the a/c drain and run down the firewall slowly. If your smelling it inside but dont see a leak I would say thats uour answer
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Thanks I'll check it, I was thinking the heater core also.
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Chipppy
2002 KJ Liberty 

I found a crack on the upper right hand corner of my radiator the other day. I was seeing coolant on my a-arms and on my skid and finally found where it is coming from. New radiator only runs like 175 going to have to swap in a new one.
Chipppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipppy View Post
I found a crack on the upper right hand corner of my radiator the other day. I was seeing coolant on my a-arms and on my skid and finally found where it is coming from. New radiator only runs like 175 going to have to swap in a new one.
I wish mine was that simple, I've already put a new radiator and A/C condenser about a year ago. I checked the radiator and it's good, hoses are good as well. If it does turns out that it's the heater core I'm looking at a big job ahead of me. I think it might be a pinhole in the heater core because the coolant level never moves. I was thinking about flushing out the system and putting a coolant system sealer in it when I refill it temporarily until I have the time to pull it apart. Has anyone had any success with cooling system sealers, not that thick goopy stop leak crap? Valvoline has Zerex Super Sealer that claims it seals without clogging your cooling system.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...-treatments/47

Last edited by DarkSport11; 04-24-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
oldfamilyguy

I wouldn't use any of those leak sealers and risk clogging things up, especially since you have the new rad in there. If its not too terrible to live with a little longer you will be able to get by without heat soon, then just bypass the heater core and you'll have a few months stink free to get it done. If you do it that way though, it will be the quickest summer you ever had and before you know it snow will be coming and you still don't have it done. I've been through that more than once.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.