Coolant Reserve keeps Boiling Over - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Coolant Reserve keeps Boiling Over

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
melizmc

Coolant Reserve keeps Boiling Over

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport.
The temperature gauge doesn't show hot, just half way, however --
Radiator cooling fan will not come on - but the air conditioning cooling fan
does come on.
After driving, when I come to a stop, and kill the engine, the water will boil, it will overflow from the coolant reserve tank. I have ruined several parts in that area, but cannot figure out what is causing the main problem.
I have tried -- changing radiator
changing coolant fan relay
changing thermostat
changing temperature sensor
putting in antifreeze (almost straight)

I am losing my mind over this -- as well as spending every spare dime I work for......HELP - PLEASE!!!!!!

melizmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Hi, don't know much about your type of jeep, but my zj was doing same thing. I too, tried replacing things; fan clutch, thermostat, rad, rad cap, water pump, and nothing seemed to work. Turned out I had gotten a dud thermostat right out of box, replaced it and no problem now. You might also check whether your rad fan is working right, at speed, the airflow through rad will keep things cool, but when you stop there is no forced airflow and things will heat up. Don't know if this will help or not, but good luck.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
melizmc

Thanks, there's just something not making the radiator cooling fan come on....after replacing the relay, what else is there?
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Does your fan work ? Can you jump the fan from a seperate power source, to eliminate it as the problem ? Have power to and from relay? Just guessing here, hopefully someone with a Liberty will be able to give you more info.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
melizmc

yes, in fact, my husband redirected power to a toggle inside so I manually switched the fan on and off. I want it right, though. It still gets hot enough to boil over on longer trips, so I can't do the fan like it needs to be done. Everything is working, there's just something not telling the fan to come on and cool the radiator off.
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Fouros
2004 KJ Liberty 

do you have a mechanical fan as well, the viscous hub might be buggered

1980 CJ7 under restoration
Fouros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
melizmc

what do you mean by "hub"
Unread 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Colling after shuttoff

If you are on long trips and it is boiling over after shutt down, the answer is to have your own switch that would allowing the fan to continue running for 5 minutes or so after you turn it off. Many other vehicles have this feature but I do not believe the Jeep does. Also it may be advised that if you are coming directly off the freeway to allow it to cool down by idling for 4 minutes before turning it off. We have this problem with large diesel engines in commercial vehicles, and idling allows the engine to cool enough that it does not boil over.
Also there are two kinds of thermostats, ones that fail in the closed position and one called a "failsafe" that will fail in the open position. I always install a failsafe....like it open guaranteed.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Fouros
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyTC View Post
Also it may be advised that if you are coming directly off the freeway to allow it to cool down by idling for 4 minutes before turning it off. We have this problem with large diesel engines in commercial vehicles, and idling allows the engine to cool enough that it does not boil over.
Also there are two kinds of thermostats, ones that fail in the closed position and one called a "failsafe" that will fail in the open position. I always install a failsafe....like it open guaranteed.
dude i have only ever heard of allowing a cool down time for Turbo Charged engines before shutting off and thats just to allow the turbo to drop revs before wind down

I live in QLD australia and have NEVER hazd an issue with a boiling engine due to long drive times in an Australian summer ,

yes i have had my KJ boil because the FAN whether it was electrical or Mechanical fail

A viscous "HUB" is an oil filled hub that gets your mechanical fan to kick in only when needed instead of being a drain on power and economy

1980 CJ7 under restoration
Fouros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Another word for viscous HUB is a clutch fan.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
04KJlimited
2004 KJ Liberty 

im thinking its the coolant sending unit. it never reads hot, like the guage on the dash so the fan wont come on.
04KJlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
04KJlimited
2004 KJ Liberty 

im correcting myself, coolant temperature switch. there is a switch and a sending unit. the sending unit controls the guage on the dash, the switch controls the fan.
04KJlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
jeepastur

My 02 had a water pump impeller spin. Plastic impeller. I found it after changing pretty much everything else. Similar symptoms.
jeepastur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
melizmc

Okay, it's the 28th day of May. In the last 2 weeks, I have changed -- thermostat, radiator, cooling fan relay, water pump, coolant temperature sensor, put in about 5 gallons of coolant/water, and 4 spark plugs (not that THAT has anything to do with it). I drive to work 20 minutes, with the air conditioner on, and stop my 2002 Jeep Liberty, and I hear a gurgling noise...then see steam come out from under my hood....the fill tank for water/antifreeze is boiling back out with water/antifreeze!!!!! I am ready to set the damn thing on FIRE!!
Unread 05-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
melizmc

And by the way, now the radiator cooling fan works, and it still boils over when i come to a stop after a 20 minute drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.