coolant flush - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > coolant flush

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Timotb
2005 KJ Liberty 

coolant flush

My 05 Liberty has 135k and I bet it never had a radiator flush. Looking on the bottom of the radiator left side I see what looks like a knob of some kind. It doesn't turn with finger strength. Is this the petcock valve? If so, its not like the petcock valves I remember.

Or is there even a petcock valve? I notice newer vehicles don't make it easy to flush the radiator by not providing a drain. What do these manufacturers expect us to do? ...besides buy a new car

Timotb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
TheBlueKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timotb View Post
My 05 Liberty has 135k and I bet it never had a radiator flush. Looking on the bottom of the radiator left side I see what looks like a knob of some kind. It doesn't turn with finger strength. Is this the petcock valve? If so, its not like the petcock valves I remember.

Or is there even a petcock valve? I notice newer vehicles don't make it easy to flush the radiator by not providing a drain. What do these manufacturers expect us to do? ...besides buy a new car
They want you to go to the dealer and make you pay outrageous prices for a flush.

As far as a drainage valve goes I know my '03 has one but alot of people don't like using it since it has the chance of not sealing correctly and leaking
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueKJ View Post
They want you to go to the dealer and make you pay outrageous prices for a flush.

As far as a drainage valve goes I know my '03 has one but alot of people don't like using it since it has the chance of not sealing correctly and leaking
^^yeah, I got the HOAT G05 and was ready to do mine and when I started looking at the rad drain it was plastic and wouldn't budge (mine is an 05 MY) and I just knew I would probably break it or it wouldn't seal right after I messed with it so I checked with a local shop about a flush with HOAT replacement. I didn't want to have to replace the radiator too if I broke it. I knew the shop had a flush/fill machine and could do it without disconnecting anything so I had them do it. I watched them and it only took a few minutes and they used the HOAT and it was around $99 I think if I remember right. I usually always do my own work on the jeep but this one shop up the street is pretty good so I was glad I brought it up there.

Just my experience anyway.

Dave

War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.