Cold weather suspension noise? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Cold weather suspension noise?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #46
hyedipin

I picked up my liberty, now, looking at the invoice:
Code:
JOB: PARTS: 
FP-NUMBER:
52088650-AF - ABSORBER 17023003
52088673-AE - ABSORBER 17023003
REPLACED FRONT AND REAR SHOCKS
And yes, the noise is still there this morning, I am calling another dealer to check up with them, I will stop by them on Monday morning to show them what I am talking about, along with the tranny, but I am kind of confused about how am I going to demonstrate this problem, since the best place to get the noise out of front is driving over a speed bump...

2004 KJ LTD Black, For sale: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...-trac-1277711/77k miles, 16.3 mpg, clear turn signals, Black euro taillights installed, window air deflectors, kenwood x590 headunit, premium factory sound system, 17" limited clad rims, Nokian Vatiiva A/T tires, tinted fronts, flowmaster 50 SUV series,
hyedipin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #47
Splinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin
I picked up my liberty, now, looking at the invoice:

And yes, the noise is still there this morning...
Noise is still there? This is very sticky problem. My car is going to the dealer tomorrow and they will replace the sway bar bushings, but I'm pretty sure that the noise is still there when I pick up my car..
How cold is it there in NY right now? Is the noise coming only in the winter time?
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #48
hyedipin

Yes, it is very cold. This morning it was 27 degrees F
In the summer I barely hear it.

For others, it sounds like as if the suspension is rusted and it is making grugly noise. Only when it sways up and down, on sudden or small holes/bumps I don't hear it that much, only when it goes up and down in a smooth motion, then I hear the grrrghhh followed by a thud and back when it expands ggrrghhhhh
2004 KJ LTD Black, For sale: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...-trac-1277711/77k miles, 16.3 mpg, clear turn signals, Black euro taillights installed, window air deflectors, kenwood x590 headunit, premium factory sound system, 17" limited clad rims, Nokian Vatiiva A/T tires, tinted fronts, flowmaster 50 SUV series,
Unread 02-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #49
Splinky

Now the sway bar bushings have been changed, but the noise is still there. Maybe I just have to live with the clunking sound..
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #50
hyedipin

That's really strange..

I wonder if it is one of those "That weird loud annoying noise is Normal" incidents... !! When dealer takes a ride and says, yep normal.. !!
I gotta get it checked again by another dealer.
Unread 02-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #51
lightfoot1976

weird annoying noise

Quote:
That's really strange..

I wonder if it is one of those "That weird loud annoying noise is Normal" incidents... !! When dealer takes a ride and says, yep normal.. !!
I gotta get it checked again by another dealer.
Hey guys...the noise IS normal. I've been hearing it since I got the vehicle, and I think you're being way too picky. Remember, you bought a Jeep, not a Mercedes. I still have it in cold weather, which is about 9 months out of the year in this area. It used to bother me, but not anymore. For me a few quirky noises, just aren't worth worrying about if all systems check out ok, which they do...so turn up the stereo and forget it.
lightfoot1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #52
hyedipin

Hi LightFoot,

Yeah, I bought a jeep, it is '04 Liberty, not '82 Rusty.
I think it is reasonable for it to have a few noises here and there, but this noise does not sound normal, believe me. And why especially on cold weather?

I drove '96 Grand Cherokee for about a year, and have never heard this noise.
Unread 02-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #53
lightfoot1976

noise

Quote:
Hi LightFoot,

Yeah, I bought a jeep, it is '04 Liberty, not '82 Rusty.
I think it is reasonable for it to have a few noises here and there, but this noise does not sound normal, believe me. And why especially on cold weather?

I drove '96 Grand Cherokee for about a year, and have never heard this noise.
a Cherokee isn't a Liberty. All vehicles have their peculiar weird noises, and some have the same weird noises plus other extraneous weird noises. Don't sweat it. Life is too short to get hung up on stuff like that. I started sweating about a squeaky rubbing steering wheel on my Liberty....which went on for 3 years. The squeak went away, then there was a knock....by that time my dealer figured out the clock spring needed replaced...so if it IS a problem, sooner or later it will surface and they'll take care of it. Only issue I see would be if your vehicle is still under warranty, or the warranty is about to expire ..then push on it, but otherwise, sit back and enjoy your Liberty.
Unread 02-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #54
hyedipin

Warranty (3 year) will expire this november.. and I know there wont be any noise during the summer.. so i wanna get to the bottom of this.

Quote:
Don't sweat it. Life is too short to get hung up on stuff like that. I started sweating about a squeaky rubbing steering wheel on my Liberty....which went on for 3 years. The squeak went away, then there was a knock.

Now adays, I have windshield or something in the A/C Heater grill shaking/rattling in cold weather.. I have always thought that sounded weird. On another note, I agree that if something is wrong, it will evantually show up, but I don't want my front axle getting left behind one day on a speed bump, and to find out that everytime it squeke'ed it was getting disconnected..
Unread 02-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #55
lightfoot1976

Quote:
Warranty (3 year) will expire this november.. and I know there wont be any noise during the summer.. so i wanna get to the bottom of this.

Now adays, I have windshield or something in the A/C Heater grill shaking/rattling in cold weather.. I have always thought that sounded weird. On another note, I agree that if something is wrong, it will evantually show up, but I don't want my front axle getting left behind one day on a speed bump, and to find out that everytime it squeke'ed it was getting disconnected..
Hi heyedipin.....concerning that A/C heater grill shaking rattling weird freaking noise.....I have the same thing. Just started this winter....it comes and goes according to the weather. Does this mean that Jeep Liberty's like hot climates??????? I can't figure out where the noise is coming from, but if I ignore it long enough it will go away.....I think...maybe....perhaps...someday ...when its warmer outside?????????
Unread 02-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #56
hyedipin

Exactly, when it is warm, I don't hear it (it is not there!) I always thought that the windshield was shaking I banged at the place where it rattles, something definetly shrinks in winter and causes the rattle..

I agree, liberty really hates winters, and ironically all jeep advertisements show liberties in a foot deep snow.. (I bet the driver in that commercial is thinking -- what's that noise.. wait.. what's that noise.. what? where is that rattle coming from... whoa! is that the suspension grinding...)
Unread 02-14-2006, 05:06 AM   #57
Splinky

I went today to the local vehicle inspection service and told them about the clunking sound. The mechanic looked for any lose section and found one. A lower ball joint (driver's side) is pretty loose. That's weird, because the lower ball joints were changed for about month ago. Well.. I just dropped my car to te Jeep dealer and told them to change the ball joint. My car is still at the dealer so I don't know yet is the noise still there...
Unread 02-14-2006, 08:19 AM   #58
hyedipin

I guess what local shop thinks "need fixing" is totally different than what a dealer thinks.. For most of the problems, dealer seems to think it is normal.. Probably until the warranty expires! Does DC pay much less than what a customer would pay the dealer to fix something when it is under warranty ?
Unread 02-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #59
Splinky

Quote:
I guess what local shop thinks "need fixing" is totally different than what a dealer thinks..
The inspection service where I visited was like the safety inspection system in the US:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#safeinspect
So if the inspector says that ball joint is loose, then it has to be replaced.
Well anyway.. My jeep dealer changed the ball joint today (no expenses for me), but the noise is still there..
Maybe I just have to turn radio a bit louder..

BTW. Hyedipin, did you show your car to another dealer yesterday.. and If you did, what did they say?
Unread 02-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #60
lightfoot1976

live with the clunking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinky
Now the sway bar bushings have been changed, but the noise is still there. Maybe I just have to live with the clunking sound..
I think you do, I am.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.