Clutch will not disengage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Clutch will not disengage

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
rileycentral
2004 KJ Liberty 

Clutch will not disengage

Hi there. I come seeking your advice. My 2004 Liberty seems to have a bad clutch. It has 78K miles on it and I have never done any sort of service on the clutch. I am not sure if it could be the transmission which is why I came here hoping you might help me.

It was loping for a couple days in the lower gears after the clutch was disengaged. Then finally, it wouldn't pull the car at all in any gear.

The dealer wants $1200 to replace everything (his words) and $900 to just replace the clutch. My questions are these:

1) What does a clutch problem look like as opposed to a transmission problem?

-and-

2) Have you seen this sort of problem resolved and if so, how?

Best regards,

Damien Riley
car info:
Make: Jeep
Model: 2004 KJ Liberty 2WD
Transmission: Manual
Engine Size: Basic

If the rocks of life get in your way, jeep over them! Owning a Jeep is a mindset, a [URL="http://postcardsfromthefunnyfarm.com"]psychology[/URL], an [URL="http://postcardsfromthefunnyfarm.com"]inspiration[/URL].
rileycentral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Are you saying you cannot pull off in your vehicle(slipping) or is it a case of when you come to a stop and you press the clutch pedal in the vehicle keeps moving (not dis-engaging)?
If it is the later...it could be the clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder assembly. The master and the slave come joined together with the length of tubing and the fluid pre-instaled....it is not possible to bleed the fluid for air bubbles but you are allowed to check the height of the fluid and top-up.
If the clutch is slipping ie. you cannot pull off, then the clutch assembly probably needs replacing.
Your dealer should know this but if you take it to some non-dealer shop...make sure that they do not try to machine the flywheel down nice and flat....the flywheel on this vehicle has a deliberate curve in it which must not be machined out.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
rileycentral
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for your helpful reply. To me, disengage meant the car never moves. I see that as the clutch being engaged because that would not allow the engine to move the car. Terminologies are not my automotive stringpoint.

It appears to be the clutch. I have authorized a mechanic to completely replace the clutch system and I am hopeful it will be money well spent.

Thank you again for your time and expertise.
If the rocks of life get in your way, jeep over them! Owning a Jeep is a mindset, a [URL="http://postcardsfromthefunnyfarm.com"]psychology[/URL], an [URL="http://postcardsfromthefunnyfarm.com"]inspiration[/URL].
rileycentral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clutch , liberty , tranny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.