JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   clutch noise?!!? Jeep gods, put your thinking caps on (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/clutch-noise-jeep-gods-put-your-thinking-caps-1623345/)

WheelinKJ 09-25-2013 07:45 PM

clutch noise?!!? Jeep gods, put your thinking caps on

i have a problem with my 03 liberty 5 speed 3.7 that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.

I have a loud ticking sound coming from the bell housing. It was tricky to track down because it sounds like it's coming from everywhere in the engine/transmission. I finally tracked it down to the bell housing with a stethoscope. I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from there.

Symptoms:

- Ticking starts about a second or two after start up and remains the entire time the engine is running.

- Doesn't get louder or quieter while idling.

- Varies with engine RPM

- COMPLETELY GOES AWAY UNDER LOAD (acceleration while driving) and then comes right back

- tick is VERY CONSISTENT and seems to happen ONCE PER REVOLUTION.

- it is a tick and not a knock. It is a metallic tick.

- I just bought the jeep and it was making this sound for about a year (previous owner) and hasn't gotten any better or worse.

- Clutch petal position has no affect on the tick what so ever.

- Gear has no affect whatsoever. happens in neutral and all gears the same.

- Jeep drives great, Clutch pedal feels great, no grinding, slipping, chattering, or anything of the sort. feels normal except for embarrassing tick!

- The tick is not something you need to listen for. It is easily audible inside and out. The neighbors can probably hear me coming!

What I've done to troubleshoot:

- Removed slave cylinder and moved throw out bearing by hand putting pressure in all directions. No change.

- With the engine already running, I removed the starter. No Change.

- used an inspection camera to view clutch and throw out bearing with engine both running and stopped. I viewed through the hole left by the removed slave cylinder. Everything looked normal. All the bolts (that I could see) LOOKED tight, fingers looked to be in good shape etc. I was turning the engine by hand while watching the wireless camera screen to see the whole clutch.

- Stethoscope is loudest on the bell housing around the flywheel.

So I know I have to pull the transmission, that's a given! I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem before. The clutch was replaced by the previous owner and I'm not sure if he did something wrong or not. I've heard of the flywheel being cracked in some cases but out of all the ones I've read about they were all on automatics.

My main questions are, Is there any other tests anyone can think of that I haven't yet done? Has anyone had this EXACT same issue and solved it?

And i'm a little scared to suggest this because I don't want to put ideas in anyone's head that could mislead the troubleshooting, but do the symptoms sound like a possible piston skirt? I'm thinking it's not, but If I pull the transmission off and the tick is still there i'm in big trouble!!

Thanks for taking the time to read! I hope I haven't missed anything.

streetglideok 09-25-2013 09:36 PM

I'm not convinced it is in your clutch. If it was, you should hear it change sounds as you work your clutch pedal, etc and you are not if I understand correctly. The bell housing can act like a speaker of sorts due to its shape and emptiness. A lot of noises from the engine can be picked up by the bell housing and make it sound as though it is the source. Encountered this a few weeks ago with a '66 Ford Mustang with a 200ci 6 cylinder. Recent restore job or kind of, and a rattling noise after the engine is started and idles with the a/c on. It was loudest from the bell housing, with and without a stethoscope. Source of noise was an a/c compressor bracket under the exhaust manifold left a little loose, all the way by the front of the engine.

WheelinKJ 09-25-2013 10:01 PM

Good point about the bell housing working like a speaker. Is it possible the pilot bearing can make this noise? It's just strange that it hasn't gotten any worse in a year of driving (previous owner).

I just can't seem to get the noise any louder anywhere other than the bell housing. It's present everywhere but defiantly louder at the back. I will do more prodding around in different spots though.

Thanks for the reply!

streetglideok 09-25-2013 11:42 PM

Naaw pilot bearing won't make the noise with the clutch pedal out. The input shaft is locked to the crank, so no slippage. Throw out bearings, I've seen make noise loaded with the clutch pedal pushed down, and unloaded with the pedal released. The noise changes as you moved the clutch pedal, regardless. You may have a noise in the engine that may warrant inspecting, lifter, etc.

WheelinKJ 09-26-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetglideok
Naaw pilot bearing won't make the noise with the clutch pedal out. The input shaft is locked to the crank, so no slippage. Throw out bearings, I've seen make noise loaded with the clutch pedal pushed down, and unloaded with the pedal released. The noise changes as you moved the clutch pedal, regardless. You may have a noise in the engine that may warrant inspecting, lifter, etc.

Good point. The pilot bearing would be stationary in relation to the input shaft/flywheel while the clutch pedal is out.

The time now is 06:40 AM.