Clicking in the tires.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Clicking in the tires..

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Robmance
2003 KJ Liberty 

[Please Help] Clicking in the tires..

I have a 2003, 4x4. This started to occur months ago, and I have yet to figure out just what it is. When I bring the car to a stop or slow and most often when I am making a turn. I have considered rocks in the wheels, something making contact with the wheel, etc.

The odd part is that it only occurs when under 10mph and most often while turning. No idea what it could be, other than extremely irritating!

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

-Cheers

Last edited by Robmance; 06-06-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Robmance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
04liberty4x4

I am getting clicking too at low speeds, usually going to a stop sign.

Someone said it could be the wear clip on my brakes coming loose.
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

$20 says CV joints... sorry dude
jklanier84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
dhoop
2007 KJ Liberty 

If it is "most often when turning", then it sounds like a CV joint. Does it have some volume difference when turning left vs. right? Also, do you have a feel for which wheel it is coming from? If you can figure that out, check the obvious stuff first: move a tire to see if it's a balance issue, check the brake clips and backing behind the rotor (if rear), inspect the rotors and brakes to see if there is any warping.

If none of these seem to help, then it's pretty likely to be a CV joint. Since it happens when turning more often, that is when the suspension on that side is under load and so there's more pressure on the CV joints on that side. That will allow the vibration to travel up the shaft and into the differential, so you can hear/feel it. First check will be to take a look at the boots of the suspected culprit. If there is any damage to the boots or any visible grease outside the boots, you have a winner.

Hope this helps.
dhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Robmance
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for your responses. I am a newbie when it comes to car parts. Say it is the CV joint/s. Is that something expensive/necessary to fix right away? I'm in between jobs and cash is tight. I can live with the clicking for a bit if i know it's not damaging my car. Sorry for the "stupid" questions. :-)
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask and leaves you sitting on the side of the road.
The cv joints aren't cheap or easy to do. Yes you could do it yourself but that only makes since if you have or have acess to all the tools required, and have or have a good friend who has the knowlege to complete the job.
Shop arround your local shops for prices. And get prices for just one and for both. If its not too bad do both and save the headache later on down the road.
Can it wait? ...yea... but it should be near the top of the list of things to do when you find work. Don't go hungry to fix it but don't buy a tv first either.
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
04liberty4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmance View Post
Thank you for your responses. I am a newbie when it comes to car parts. Say it is the CV joint/s. Is that something expensive/necessary to fix right away? I'm in between jobs and cash is tight. I can live with the clicking for a bit if i know it's not damaging my car. Sorry for the "stupid" questions. :-)
I cannot speak for a Jeep, but I know when I lost my job several years ago and had to drive my old honda accord. It had bad CV joints since I bought it(1996), and I let them stay that way for over 100K. They just clicked, thats it.
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Robmance
2003 KJ Liberty 

Ok, thanks.
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
dhoop
2007 KJ Liberty 

I recently swapped my driver's side CV shaft, and it wasn't too bad. I already had a 10 gallon air compressor and impact wrench, so I spent probably $35-$40 on some new impact sockets and that funky Torx socket. The replacement shaft was a reconditioned one, and I was able to turn in my bad one for the core. This reduced the price of a replacement shaft (from Autozone, I think) to about $70. So, except for being too aggressive and destroying the ABS/Speed sensor, it cost me about $130 plus a weekend of labor. I had to spend another $35 on the sensor, but you won't need to if you're careful. If you have the tools (or a friend that does), then it'll probably run you $70 for a reconditioned one, and that's it.

The process is pretty straightforward: remove the wheel, remove the brakes, then remove the hub (be careful with the speed sensor!). This is where you'll need that Torx socket. Then, you need to remove the sway bar connection, the lower control arm linkage to the hub, and that u-shaped bracket on the suspension. This should be enough to remove the old shaft, since it basically pulls free. I remember a lot of 18mm bolt heads in this, so ensure you have both an impact socket and a manual wrench of this size. It was a rough learning process, but now that I have done it once, it would be pretty straightforward to get any other one done. Overall, my biggest issue was fighting through the Ohio-induced rust. I would guess things to be similar in Nebraska.

Hope this helps.
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Ten bucks says it's the CV joint at the transfer case end of the front driveshaft

The clicking sounds like it's coming from the front tires/wheels but since the bad CV joint at the transfer case is almost literally right under the driver's seat it's easy to confuse the location of the noise. The best thing to do is crawl under the Jeep and find the front driveshaft (runs front to back from the front differential to the transfer case.) At the transfer case end there is a CV joint; if the boot around the CV looks like the one in pics in this thread, then it needs replaced.

The boot going bad is a common issue but it is an easy and inexpensive repair. Go to this website and order this part and with shipping you'll be under $80.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
Robmance
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks everyone for all your help. The JF community always comes through! :-)
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
WillieWildcat
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I know this may sound strange, but have you checked the threads of your tire to make sure that there isn't a rock or something else embedded in them? I get "clicking" every day after driving down my gravel drive way.

IMO, if it's a deeper 'pop' that can be... felt, I guess... I'd start looking into CV joint problems.
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieWildcat View Post
I know this may sound strange, but have you checked the threads of your tire to make sure that there isn't a rock or something else embedded in them? I get "clicking" every day after driving down my gravel drive way.

IMO, if it's a deeper 'pop' that can be... felt, I guess... I'd start looking into CV joint problems.
The sound the driveshaft CV makes when it goes bad is truly just a click - there's no pop or snap to be felt as the Jeep is usually being driven in 2WD and though the front driveshaft is rotating when the Jeep is in motion in 2WD the transfer case isn't engaged so there's nothing to be felt.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #14
Robmance
2003 KJ Liberty 

Alright, update. I finally got my car into the mechanic for an engine light, and while he worked on that issue, I told him about the CV joints and the clicking. He took a look at the joints and determined that they were still in tact. He thought perhaps the clicking was coming from the break pads coming a little loose, so he tried to work off of that.

Sad day, the clicking remains. No idea what it comes from, all I know is it happens at low speeds when I am going into or coming out of a turn. As far as I can tell it is coming from the front.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys.
-Rob
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
mightybeet
2004 KJ Liberty 

i had a rotational clicking noise at certain speeds that drove me nuts coming from the front passenger side. it also came with a light banging every now and then, more prominent with 4WD engaged or at speeds of 30-35 mph then again at 62-65 mph. the inner cv joint that connected to the intermediate shaft had a little play in it and i ended up changing both and the now silence.

is there any change in sound and/or volume in 4WD?
mightybeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 , click , slow , wheel

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.