Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clicking Noise From Underbody

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tommudd 
#1 ·
Greetings fellow Jeep Liberty owners and enthusiasts!

I have a 2007 Jeep Liberty 3.7L and have had more problems than ever recently. But my recent discovery has been a clicking noise coming from underneath that could possibly be a bad CV Joint, but it clicks when just driving straight, not only turning.

To describe the clicking noise, it will start occasionally when I first start to drive, it may be a couple minutes after I start, but it will start at a low volume, and it will gradually become louder and louder and it sounds like it is moving from the back to the front near my feet. After it gets to its loudest point, it sometimes just goes away. And maybe a little bit after it will do the same thing and just repeat itself. I have had times where it goes through its phase, and then doesn't come back.

If anyone could give me some answers as to what it could be I would be ever so grateful, and even a possible cheap fix or just the way to go when it comes to this.

Thank you so much

#3 ·
99% positive the clicking is from the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft. That joint is almost directly under the driver's seat, which supports your "underneath" description.

The front driveshaft spins 100% of the time - whether 4WD is engaged or not. That CV makes a variety of noises when it goes bad - clicks, groans, pops, grinding etc. Crawl underneath and shine a bright flashlight at the transfer case end of the driveshaft - there should be a rubber boot in the "cone" of the joint. It is almost certainly gone.

The replacement is about $50 plus shipping from DriveshaftParts.com. DO NOT let a dealer or repair shop tell you the entire shaft has to be replaced; the CV joint can be purchased separately from Driveshaft Parts and is about a 45 minute job.

Let us know how it works out after you replace the CV joint ;)

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#5 ·
Yes that is the kit. Super easy to swap out, takes longer to remove the front driveshaft than to actually change the CV/Boot out. I keep them in stock here since everyone needs them some time in their KJ life :)
By the way good to see someone else from Ohio on here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.