Cigarette Lighter/Sirius?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Cigarette Lighter/Sirius??

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-03-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
sublime600
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Cigarette Lighter/Sirius??

Ok I just got done installing a Starmate 4 Sirius receiver in my girlfriends 2004 Liberty. Now the cigarette lighter spot is taken up my the power cord for the Sirius. She uses it for charging her cell phone.. So has anyone added a second cigarette lighter to their Liberty by splicing or coming from the fuse box? I want to try to hide it. I dont want to have to use one of the big bulky things that turn the cigarette lighter into 2. I want to wire up a whole new one. I would hardwire the receiver but the power cable converts the 12v down to 5v. Thanks Guys if you need more info let me know.

sublime600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wire a second cig lighter under the dash, you also wont have to look at that extra cord from the power

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
skleinsmith

Sirius - Power Supply

Seems weird that the power supply does this voltage drop. I hard wired my sirius (different model) directly to the accessory (from the radio). I also did the same for my i-pod (monster ipod converter).

But regarding your question yes it can be done and there is some room behind the radio (location i put my monster i-pod converter box) where you could put it.

Assuming that you have some basic wiring skills it is fairly easy and you can just splice into the existing cig/accessory power location). No need to go back to the fuse block. Afterall these types of components do NOT draw alot of amps.
skleinsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
sublime600
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone have any pics? I know on the older sirius recievers they were 12v all teh new ones are 5v. Thats what someone had said on the sirius forum. So maybe thats why. Thanks for input guys!
sublime600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

Just to add my experience...

I tried to hard wire my XM Radio and it wouldn't work. The radio (RoadyXT) requires a special voltage converter, it won't take the standard 12v. I'm planning to wire an extra cigarette lighter plug behind the dash and just plug in the adapter that came with the XM.
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Bmach

Why not just use a 2 into one adapter for the lighter?
Bmach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
jdgrip
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmach View Post
Why not just use a 2 into one adapter for the lighter?
I think he is like me, and doesn't like all the extra clutter. I prefer to have stuff hidden in glove box or console.
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Leeann_KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

I think he figured it out since it's been 5 years since he posted...
Leeann_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Chosw

Yeah I have a built in phone charger, GPS charger, etc etc all wired through under the steering wheel, that under panel pulls out and there is tons of room to hide wires. Check it out.
Chosw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.