Checking for oil in intercooler - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Bgeddes

1978 CJ5 

Checking for oil in intercooler

I have read lots of places about the CRD getting oil in the intercooler. Upon inspection, it appears there is not a simple place to confirm this is the case. Is there a reasonalbly safe and simple method to check for oil in the intercooler?

PS this week is our CRD anniversary, 1 year. If only I could remember how long I've been married.....

'00 XJ Classic > Stock DD
'88 Grand Waggy - Bone stock pseudo-barnfind
'78 CJ5 - Under minor rehab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgeddes
I have read lots of places about the CRD getting oil in the intercooler. Upon inspection, it appears there is not a simple place to confirm this is the case. Is there a reasonalbly safe and simple method to check for oil in the intercooler?

PS this week is our CRD anniversary, 1 year. If only I could remember how long I've been married.....
Real simple place, pull the CAC hoses off both ends of the intercooler and compare the wetness and/or coating. You won't be able to examine the build-up inside of the intercooler (short of using a sawsall). The oil will turn tar-like sticky and bake in place as with the inside of the hoses. Have you been using a Provent or an open vent mod?
post #3 of 11 Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCRD
Real simple place, pull the CAC hoses off both ends of the intercooler and compare the wetness and/or coating. You won't be able to examine the build-up inside of the intercooler (short of using a sawsall). The oil will turn tar-like sticky and bake in place as with the inside of the hoses. Have you been using a Provent or an open vent mod?
I've been open venting for about a month. Should I be detecting oil traces from
the end of the hose? I'm not

post #4 of 11 Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcxman
I've been open venting for about a month. Should I be detecting oil traces from
the end of the hose? I'm not
You probably should see some by now. Hard for me to tell because I opted for a Provent. I have collected maybe 1/2 cup of oil sludge in the past 4K+ miles and that's running 0W40. I don't think there is as much oil coming from the crancase vent as many claim.

Still absolutely, 100% positive the typical heavy CAC oiling is coming through the turbo seals caused by a partial/temporary air filter constriction caused by the paper filter getting wet while driving at high speeds in the rain. Since I modified my airbox and installed a True-flow replacement filter, it's gone.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 09:51 AM
naturist

There are only two possible sources for oil in the intake (disallowing somebody dumping a quart down the wrong hole, of course): the CCV and the turbo bearing seals.

If you do an open vent or a Provent, that should close off the CCV as a source. If you still get oil with one of these, it means you are seeing leakage at the turbo bearings. Isn't that scary?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist
If you do an open vent or a Provent, that should close off the CCV as a source. If you still get oil with one of these, it means you are seeing leakage at the turbo bearings. Isn't that scary?
Now come on, DC says it "normal" for all that oil to pass the seals. Right?!?

naturist, get a load of the latest discussion on LOST. An owner in VA is reporting being denied ERG warranty because he has an aftermarket muffler. Wonder if he's working with your dealer?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 07:48 PM
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
You probably should see some by now. Hard for me to tell because I opted for a Provent. I have collected maybe 1/2 cup of oil sludge in the past 4K+ miles and that's running 0W40. I don't think there is as much oil coming from the crancase vent as many claim.

Still absolutely, 100% positive the typical heavy CAC oiling is coming through the turbo seals caused by a partial/temporary air filter constriction caused by the paper filter getting wet while driving at high speeds in the rain. Since I modified my airbox and installed a True-flow replacement filter, it's gone.
My hose is 4 ft. long. Maybe it just takes awhile.
Meanwhile, are we the only ones running the trueflow?
They seem to be the best thing out there.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcxman
My hose is 4 ft. long. Maybe it just takes awhile.
Meanwhile, are we the only ones running the trueflow?
They seem to be the best thing out there.
Most are using clear vynal hose so they can see the flow. If you are using heater hose, it will turn funky from the oil. Also keep in mind that the Provent is still working under vacuum thus will draw more oil and quicker. At that, it took a couple of months using the Provent to get noticable oil, so slow that I almost removed it as a waste of time & money.

I installed the True-flow about a month ago and I like it thus far. I put one in my Impala at the same time. How many miles to you run yours before servicing?
post #9 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 AM
LONEPINERON

What size hose are you using? Looks bigger than 3/4 heater hose on the Provent. I just need to find the time to get it put in as it has been sitting on my work bench for 3 months now.

'94 YJ 4" LIFT, 2.5LTR, 5 SP, 4.10, WARN WINCH. 265X16 TIRES AND WHEELS. '06 KJ CRD limited 4wd every option except heated seats and Mirrors.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 AM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONEPINERON
What size hose are you using? Looks bigger than 3/4 heater hose on the Provent. I just need to find the time to get it put in as it has been sitting on my work bench for 3 months now.
I used 3/4" ID clear vynal, braded hose (avail. at both Homer-D & Lowes). Heat the end of the hose in a pan of hot water, will stretch right over the 1" connections on the Provent. A little soap and a hook tool (looks like a screwdriver bent-up like a dental pick) will help. I went with 3/4" copper pipe fittings for the rest of the connections (had to heat the hose & stretch those too).

Also, most Provent installs on the CRD require an almost immediate 90-degree turn in the plumbing out of the Provent. Some have glued pipe and/or pipe connectors inside the Provent ports to reduce to 3/4" and also make the turns in one shot. You have to watch what you use for glue as many can't take the oil and will fail.

Last edited by RFCRD; 09-08-2006 at 06:44 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-10-2006, 06:31 PM
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Most are using clear vynal hose so they can see the flow. If you are using heater hose, it will turn funky from the oil. Also keep in mind that the Provent is still working under vacuum thus will draw more oil and quicker. At that, it took a couple of months using the Provent to get noticable oil, so slow that I almost removed it as a waste of time & money.

I installed the True-flow about a month ago and I like it thus far. I put one in my Impala at the same time. How many miles to you run yours before servicing?
Well, I just got back from towing a mini-van on a tow dolly 620 miles fully loaded
with junk. I figured about 4600 lbs. I know off topic but thought some might find
it interesting.
Anyway I now have 22000 miles on my 06, after having installed the TrueFlow
at 12000. So except having cleaned the bugs and leaves off of the top, and flipping
it end for end, I haven't recharged it yet.
Sure seems to me that it allows the engine to breath well and will do so dirty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.