Check engine light/ gas cap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Check engine light/ gas cap

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Firefight1981

Check engine light/ gas cap

Has anybody experienced their check engine light (little transmission looking light) come on if you didnt screw in your gas cap as much as the vehicle wanted (3-4 turns)?

Firefight1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
GaryL06

There is no dash light if you dont put the gas cap on. I know this because I once filled up in DE and drove 120 miles north into PA with the gas filler cap just dangling along side and had no idea until someone said something to me at a rest stop.
GaryL06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
Firefight1981

I guess its just been a coincidnece then. Seems like a lot of times I turn the cap once and the light comes on. But if I turn it 3-4 times it doesnt come on. I dont know...the car is a piece of *****. Thats why Im selling it.
Its a 2003 6cyl Renegade with 76K on it. Ive had a few computer, valve body (transmission), drivers side back seat door lock broke (you have to manually lock/unlock it), cd player, weird noises from the engine (rattle with squeeking noises). Thats not a lot of miles to have those problems! Ive had two sports cars that were in the shop maybe twice with computer problems. They each had 155,000 miles before I sold them.
Unread 05-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Lucas718
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2003 Sport. A couple of months ago my check engine light came on too. I checked the gas cap and it seemed to be on tight. I really didn't have time to take it in to the dealer, so I thought I'd try replacing the cap and see if that made a difference. As soon as I put it on the light went out.
Lucas718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Firefight1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas718
so I thought I'd try replacing the cap and see if that made a difference. As soon as I put it on the light went out.
What made you think changing the gas cap would hopefully turn off the light? When I bought the car from the dealership, the salesman told me that happens sometimes. I honestly thought he was full of it.
Unread 05-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
SpitNine

Not This Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefight1981
What made you think changing the gas cap would hopefully turn off the light? When I bought the car from the dealership, the salesman told me that happens sometimes. I honestly thought he was full of it.
In this extremely rare case the salesman was correct.
A bad or loose gas cap will cause the check engine light to come on.
Making sure that the gas cap gasket is OK, tightening the cap at least several clicks after refueling or replacing the cap with a new one will usually cause the check engine (MIL) light to go out on its own after a day or two or three.
Thanks.
Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
JSTODDA79

As much as I have seen this issue on here, I already want to exchange my gas cap. What a funny issue to have lol.
JSTODDA79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
ZodiacMan

I'm an emissions testing center manager, and I know all about the check engine light. If you don't screw your gas cap on tightly, your light will come on. That is true for any vehicle 1996 or newer. If you have it diagnosed it will come up as a code saying there is a leak in the EVAP system. You can drive it 120 miles straight without it coming on, but it usually takes a day or two and several startups for the computer to realize something is wrong and turn the light on. Just screw the cap back on tightly or replace the cap, clear the codes (either at AutoZone or you can do it yourself if you have a code scanner) and if that was the only problem, then the light will stay off. If the light comes back on, check out your vacuum hoses.
ZodiacMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

But at the same time there are about a thousand other reasons the light will come on, there could be something going on with your trans or other engine system. A fuel level sending unit could turn a check engine light on also.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
JSTODDA79

I guess with it being a common issue, step 1 unhook neg terminal on battery, step 2 open gas cap and close again, turning several times after it clicks, step 3 replace negative terminal and see if the light goes off, if not, then take it to autozone for a free diagnostic check. So far that solves like 90% of the problems.. Dang gas cap... lol
Unread 05-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTODDA79
I guess with it being a common issue, step 1 unhook neg terminal on battery, step 2 open gas cap and close again, turning several times after it clicks, step 3 replace negative terminal and see if the light goes off, if not, then take it to autozone for a free diagnostic check. So far that solves like 90% of the problems.. Dang gas cap... lol
The light will go out the minute the battery is disconnected, generally depending on the year of the vehicle it may take many drive cycles to turn the light back on but it will come back on because most EVAP system leaks are actually caused by a split hose.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
Lucas718
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefight1981
Actually I hit a few of the forums looking for info and found quite a few people with the same issue and most of them turned out to be the gas cap. I didn't want to leave it at the dealer if it was a quick fix so I figured for a few bucks it would be worth a shot. Turns out that was the problem.
Lucas718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
JSTODDA79

99% of the time, unhooking the neg terminal and putting the gas cap back on fixes this issue. YES it could be split hoses, but if your car is practically new, its prob the gas cap.. I put it on nice and tight.. no prob at all, except my wife needed help to take the cap off lol..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.