Check Engine Codes... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Check Engine Codes...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Mitchb

Check Engine Codes...

Ok is there a way to read the check engine codes without taking it to a service place, or having a computer to read them. In the past a lot of my cars have been read by simply placing a jumper wire in the plug in and it would blink the codes. Can that be done with the liberty? This is the second time my check engine light has come on since i bought the car a month ago and im starting to get pissed.

Mitchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
FiEND

For the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and up, you do the switching the key on and off 3 times, but not quickly. You turn it to on so the odometer turns on, turn it off, and then back on, wait for the light to turn on, etc. On the fourth time you'll get a code, or you'll get the word "done."

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html
FiEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
danoid
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiEND
For the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and up, you do the switching the key on and off 3 times, but not quickly. You turn it to on so the odometer turns on, turn it off, and then back on, wait for the light to turn on, etc. On the fourth time you'll get a code, or you'll get the word "done."

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html

Actually this works for nearly all Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge vehicles.

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift rear helper springs -225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers & seat covers.
danoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
learstroker

This does not work for the CRD. You will get a bogus code.
learstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
Bagger

It works on my CRD
Bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

For every couple people who say it works, there's always that one person who says "It doesn't work for this or that, or for a specific model year."

They're just not doing it right...
Unread 12-01-2005, 02:57 AM   #7
learstroker

I was able to get a code doing the key thing. However it was erroneous. Further discussion with both the Fairbanks and Anchorage Alaska Jeep Dealers proved that this method does not work for the 2005 CRD. They both said do not use the key method. I live in a remote area. I had to have a special scanner flown in to get the real code and fix the problem. The key method showed P0096, the scanner showed P0105. The correct part was ordered and the MIL fixed.
Unread 12-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Torque Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by learstroker
I was able to get a code doing the key thing. However it was erroneous. Further discussion with both the Fairbanks and Anchorage Alaska Jeep Dealers proved that this method does not work for the 2005 CRD. They both said do not use the key method. I live in a remote area. I had to have a special scanner flown in to get the real code and fix the problem. The key method showed P0096, the scanner showed P0105. The correct part was ordered and the MIL fixed.
learstroker,

By any chance, did you have a bad boost pressure sensor?
It measures both the intake manifold pressure and intake air temperature.

P0096 (Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit Range/Performance)
P0105 (Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction)

Chris
Unread 12-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
BradTE20

where does the code show up? the odometer display or the overhead display?
BradTE20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
Torque Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradTE20
where does the code show up? the odometer display or the overhead display?

The odometer.

Chris
Unread 12-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
meh_kick

I also couldn't get this method to work on my '04 Renegade... for what it's worth. BTW I think I "was doing it right."
Unread 12-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
Mitchb

Well it seems that most of the people that say it doesn't work have the CRD. I just have a regular liberty sport. Could it possibly be different for the CRD?

Mitchb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #13
learstroker

Chris

I cannot get the exact part data until monday. It was however something about "intake pressure sensor" I think. Two technicians at differnt dealeships said that the P0096 code was not even valid for the CRD.
Unread 12-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #14
CRD

I'm doing it every time I try with 4 turns of the key. The fourth time being the one I stop on in the on position to look for the code. It does not work for me when I park the car after driving. It does not work for me when I try to do it two times in a row. It seems like I have to shut off the engine, leave the car, lock the doors and then wait a awhile for something to reset. After a little while when I come back, I can do the key trick and read the codes again.
CRD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.