Charging system issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Charging system issues

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Tekker

Charging system issues

Does anybody know what the "JB Power" fuse in the '02 Jeep Liberty power distribution center (underhood fuse box) is for?

My problem is that my charging system seems to not be working as it should. I first thought it as a bad battery, then a bad alternator, and replaced both. My Liberty seems to discharge the battery. When I attempt to drive the Liberty, my battery light turns on and I'm afraid it will run down all power as it did with first battery. I'm not taking a chance with the second one.

My question about the JB Power fuse comes due to some diagnostics I have done with a test light. When I connect a test light to the Neg. battery cable ( cable is disconnected ) and touch the test light to the terminal, the test light goes out when that fuse is removed signifying that this component has a short it in.

On the downside, my warranty expired 1,800 miles ago!!

I would appreciate any ideas.

Tekker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
lucas/liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekker
Does anybody know what the "JB Power" fuse in the '02 Jeep Liberty power distribution center (underhood fuse box) is for?

My problem is that my charging system seems to not be working as it should. I first thought it as a bad battery, then a bad alternator, and replaced both. My Liberty seems to discharge the battery. When I attempt to drive the Liberty, my battery light turns on and I'm afraid it will run down all power as it did with first battery. I'm not taking a chance with the second one.

My question about the JB Power fuse comes due to some diagnostics I have done with a test light. When I connect a test light to the Neg. battery cable ( cable is disconnected ) and touch the test light to the terminal, the test light goes out when that fuse is removed signifying that this component has a short it in.

On the downside, my warranty expired 1,800 miles ago!!

I would appreciate any ideas.
go back to the dealer and ask them really nice , cause when my AC compressor went out and talk to the dealer about the problem and ask if they usually go out at 2,000miles after the warranty they said they will take care of it, and replaced the comp and the belt for free . remember the people who writes these stuff up are getting paid by commision...
and about a week or two later i was watching the news and they were saying that car dealers have to cover the problem so many miles after the warranty runs out...so go out there and some butttttttt
lucas/liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
ukliberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

I have had a similar problem.
I believe the JB fuse is connected to the fuse tray located on the side of the dashboard.
My Libby was drawing 0.10 Amp all the time when turned off and over time led to flat batteries and eventually battery failed tests so it had to be replaced as it was no longer providing enough power.

What year do you have?

Strange as this may seem........I have the rear view mirror with the auto dimming feature - we turned this off and the problem did not re-appear - dealer replaced battery anyway. The service guy who came out to me said that they had a number of calls where the gel type batteries had given problems and he also said that some customers rear view mirror circuit had stayed open.
Interestingly all Libbys sold here now no longer have the auto dimming rear view mirror installed!
ukliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
Tekker

I have a 2002 Liberty. I don't have the autodimming on my rear view mirror. When I had the alternator tested they said it was only giving 20 amps, so I bought a new alternator. The discharge still exists.
Unread 07-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
ukliberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

Have you fitted any aftermarket items such as CD changer? If its a non jeep autochanger with those little adapter boxes that may be the problem. I have heard of them drawing power even when the ignition is off.

I have been told by a jeep dealer that JB means junction box. Probably the only way to track this down is get a meter across the battery and the one by one pull each fuse till you find out what it is. Its best to have some one to help as when you get to the interior fuses you wont be able to see a change on the meter.

Good luck finding it
ukliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
Tekker

I tracked it down to the #34 fuse which is for the interior lighting, radio, body control module, cluster...

I do have an amp and sub in my liberty, but its been in there since I bought it almost 3 years ago and never a problem with that.
Unread 07-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Tekker

Well, I took it to the dealer and they said it was the voltage regulartor in the computer. They are going to replace the computer and said that is covered under emissions warranty.
Unread 07-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
lucas/liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekker
Well, I took it to the dealer and they said it was the voltage regulartor in the computer. They are going to replace the computer and said that is covered under emissions warranty.

it didnt hurt to try did it...glad to see they got your problem solved...

Wife=2002 jeep liberty sports traded it in for an RX330 lexus
===2007 nissan Xterra X
lucas/liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
Tekker

bad news... the new computer didn't fix it. The system is still discharging. 2 weeks at the dealership + 1 week trying to monkey with it myself. damn...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.