Changing the timing chain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Changing the timing chain

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
JeepNoob74
2004 KJ Liberty 

Changing the timing chain

Hello people! It is time for my 2004 Liberty to get the timing chain changed...

So I was wondering if you guys could recommend a particular timing chain kit brand?

I was looking it up in ebay and I found kits starting at 80$ !!
Then I found some other kits at $350

I was a bit confused as it seems kind of obvious there are differnet qualities out there, can you recommend an specific brand? Do they sell kits at the stealer... I mean dealer?

I dont really want to do this at the dealer as it will probably be about 700 dlls if I am lucky.

Are the 80 dollar kits so bad they wont hold for 60K-100K miles?

Is it recommended to change the water pump and oil pump at the same time ? Oddly enough I have seen some kits including the oil pump, some others both the water pump and oil pump and some others without any pump at all. On my smaller cars I usually change the water pump when changing the timing belt, but I am a Jeep noob!!

Also, since I guess I will have to purge the system of coolant, whats the recommended coolant for the Jeep Liberty??

Thanksss!!

JeepNoob74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Well, assuming you have the 3.7L, you don't need to change the timing chain. It's a lifetime chain system.

There are actually three chains: The primary chain from the crank to the idler gear; and then one to each of the cams. I wouldn't want to try that job with the engine in the Jeep - it was enough of a challenge with the engine out when I did an engine swap recently.

Unless you have severe issues with the timing chains - don't do it.

As for the coolant...Use HOAT only. I buy mine at NAPA - Zerex G-05. Don't bother with the universal types - they don't cut it. Two gallons of coolant and two gallons of distilled water and you're good (system takes 14 quarts.)

If you change the thermostat remember: The thermostat cone goes INTO the block, not into the hose.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
oldfamilyguy

Like he says, 3.7 timing chains have no replacement schedule. They should last the life of the engine. Even some rebuilds don't need them. Probably that set you see for $350. 4 cyl. gas or deisel, different story. Timing belts and follow the schedule. If in doubt change it, if it breaks you have a big problem. $80 seems to be in the ballpark but I don't know for sure, never had or worked on either.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
oldfamilyguy

de nada
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Good to know! Wife's KJ recently purchased with 75k and I was concerned about that!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
oldfamilyguy

The greatest concern with the 3.7 is overheating will kill it. So along with the usual maintenance be certain that the cooling system is 100%.
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Roger! That service will be next on the checklist! A LOT easier than timing chains!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNoob74 View Post
Hello people! It is time for my 2004 Liberty to get the timing chain changed...

So I was wondering if you guys could recommend a particular timing chain kit brand?

I was looking it up in ebay and I found kits starting at 80$ !!
Then I found some other kits at $350

I was a bit confused as it seems kind of obvious there are differnet qualities out there, can you recommend an specific brand? Do they sell kits at the stealer... I mean dealer?

I dont really want to do this at the dealer as it will probably be about 700 dlls if I am lucky.

Are the 80 dollar kits so bad they wont hold for 60K-100K miles?

Is it recommended to change the water pump and oil pump at the same time ? Oddly enough I have seen some kits including the oil pump, some others both the water pump and oil pump and some others without any pump at all. On my smaller cars I usually change the water pump when changing the timing belt, but I am a Jeep noob!!

Also, since I guess I will have to purge the system of coolant, whats the recommended coolant for the Jeep Liberty??

Thanksss!!
As has been said, there is no set schedule for timing chain replacement. Now if you have the 2.4L 4banger, that is belt driven, not chain driven. There are 3 chains on the V6 engine. If there is alot of racket coming from the chains, typically due to neglect of the engine, then you would need to change all 3 chains, the chain guides, and the hydraulic tensioners, plus gaskets. You would need to know how to line up the timing components exactly, or you will have some serious issues on your hands. I've all but given up buying junk on fleabay personally. $80 for a timing kit, you aren't getting much in parts, or quality. It's one thing to go cheap on something you can reach easily, but its another when you are dealing with major engine work, and the potential for major engine damage should an inferior part fails. Those kind of parts, Im usually going to source them from the dealer. I don't have much faith in parts stores junk either.

As for coolant, you need an HOAT coolant. It can come in the pinkish color like chrysler's, or gold color like ford. It is NOT the same as dexcool, or conventional green. There is no such thing as a coolant that works in all of them and performs to the design specs of the coolant meant for the engine. There are claims of it, but doesn't mean it works. Its out there to drum up business from shops that are too cheap to do it right.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
oldfamilyguy

I don't think the op really cares. He disappeared after his original and only post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.