Changing front struts/shocks on 04 liberty??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Changing front struts/shocks on 04 liberty???

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

Changing front struts/shocks on 04 liberty???

ive never worked on a liberty before or really even looked under one so excuse my stupid question but do they have shocks or struts on the front and are they hard to change. id like to think im very mechanicly inclined as far as the work goes but wondering if i need anything speacial besides a spring comperssor if its a strut.thanks for the help

Unread 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They have struts. IMHO it's quicker to have a local parts store thats capable (and has the equipment) to do the disassembly and reassembly of them for you. They are a bit more entailed than the JK's and TJ's. As I am finding out at this moment in time. I'm doing complete replacement (struts & springs) - so it is straight forward. Just do an alignment when complete.

If you do it yourself, and doing strut only - just use caution and good equipment to do the job.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The fronts get classified as "struts" when in fact it is a coilover assembly with a shock.Struts take the place of a upper control arm and pivot and the KJ has a upper control arm and it does not pivot.So they are shocks(coilover setup).

As far as changing them it's easy,you will need coil compressors though and using 2 ratchet straps to pull the clevis back into place to put the lower bolt in makes the job real easy.
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the info, ill prob tackle them myself and rent a spring compressor.
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
thanks for the info, ill prob tackle them myself and rent a spring compressor.
As far as the spring compressors unless you have one of those professional wall mounted one about the only ones that work seem to work on the KJ coils is these in the link below(found at advance auto,similar at CarQuest and Napa) and about $40.

New Ampro Website
Unread 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

cool thanks for th link, ill make sure the one i rent looks like that one
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
richm20
2006 KJ Liberty 

I know im a bit late to the party but...http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...-set-3980.html
richm20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have been a fan of the compressors that have the extra locking security pins - that lock under springs as well as the standard curved tops on most of them. If the compressor shifts sideways on the spring - it is just a little bit more protection to keep a spring with a lot of energy in it from hurting or killing someone.

All though nothing beats common sense.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richm20 View Post
I know im a bit late to the party but...http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...-set-3980.html
Don't value your life much do ya?
Either that or you haven't tried those on any aftermarket springs
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

My compressor look more like this:

They are a pain to get on and off the spring, but they are very secure. I trust them. They aren't harbor freight, but were auto zone or something like that. More than $15, I think 30-40-ish.
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Good luck, they'll work on stock 310 lb springs fine, OME 400-500 not so good. faster and much easier to take them to a shop and have them compress them in my book.
Unread 03-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Good luck, they'll work on stock 310 lb springs fine, OME 400-500 not so good. faster and much easier to take them to a shop and have them compress them in my book.
Well that throws a wrench in my plans to do it on a Sunday. Unless I can talk a friend of my sisters into doing it at his shop on a Sunday. Might have to schedule a day off of work to do it. Are you recommending taking the old stuff into the shop with the new springs/shocks and have them assemble them?
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

The main problem with all of the screw type compressors is they are hard to get in between the coils, not as hard to get them on the old springs of course but once you compress the OMEs it makes it real hard to get them apart/out. Can be done but huge PITA and got to be really careful. For someone not used to doing them I rate it a 9 out of 10 on the pucker factor
For me easier to drop them at a shop, have them compress them and be done.I can have the rear done while they compress the fronts. Even the high tech hydraulic compressor they have at the shop I use, my 500 lb OME790 jumped out and made a nice hole in the block wall.
Unread 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

To echo tomm's comments, it is doable but tricky. I actually used air tools (a ratchet, not an impact) to compress and decompress the springs. And it was a PITA to slip the tool out of the spring when done. The pucker factor is similar to working with garage door springs. If you know what your doing, and do it safely, it is not a problem. But you still worry.

I will say that the bigger problem was removing the "strut" plate studs and reinstalling them a new plate. I have a very small manual press, but it did not budge anything. I paid Pep Boys $30 and 20 minutes or so later I had my parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.