CEL - evap sensor - repeatedly - common issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CEL - evap sensor - repeatedly - common issue?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
LibertynJustice

CEL - evap sensor - repeatedly - common issue?

Wondering if this is a common thing. We bought our 04 brand new in April of 04. Paid it off last spring and never had a single issue up until then. Then, this summer, while on vacation, the CEL comes on so I go straight to an auto parts store and get it checked. It's an evap sensor related code and is commonly caused by leaving the gas cap on too loose or a bad o-ring in the gas cap, according to a mechanic that just happened to be in the auto-zone store when I found out what they CEL issue was. My wife and are both familiar with this scenario from past experiences with another vehicle so we are both always conscious of tightening the gas cap everytime we fill up. However, we went with it and cleared the CEL and had no immediate recurrence.

Several times since the initial incident we've had the CEL come on with the same code and sometimes, after driving home and shutting it down, the CEL is no longer on when we crank it back up. Other times, the CEL stays on for days or until we go have it scanned and get it reset. So, I finally take it to the dealer and spend a day and a half and a couple hundred bucks gettting it tested and, supposedly, fixed (something was replaced, not sure what other than it was not the gas cap). However, twice since taking it to the dealer the CEL has come on again and again both times the evap sensor code. It seems to run and be running fine and the auto parts people and the dealer says it's not something that's harmful to drive even with the CEL on with that code. So, we do.

Anyone else experience this and/or have any suggestions? My next logical step would seem to be to take it back to the dealer that did the work, with the CEL on again, and demand that it be fixed. But, that could go back and forth forever.

LibertynJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

When you have CE light on:
You can read the code through the display on your odometer, without starting, turn key quickly, On-Off-On-Off- On- leave on, and it should read code P0442 example.
0442 code Small Evap Leak detected, can be either the gas cap or broken line coming out of the tank etc.
I replaced the locking cap with a Chrysler Jeep cap turned to click four times to seal, and you can reset the CE light by removing the negative battery cable for a few minutes.
If if it is not the cap then you have to trace the Evap lines coming from the tank and of the evap unit, and check for cracks in the rubber lines and replace them as necessary.
The new gas cap is cheap, start there again, and re-set to clear the code by removing neg batt cable.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertynJustice View Post
Wondering if this is a common thing. We bought our 04 brand new in April of 04. Paid it off last spring and never had a single issue up until then. Then, this summer, while on vacation, the CEL comes on so I go straight to an auto parts store and get it checked. It's an evap sensor related code and is commonly caused by leaving the gas cap on too loose or a bad o-ring in the gas cap, according to a mechanic that just happened to be in the auto-zone store when I found out what they CEL issue was. My wife and are both familiar with this scenario from past experiences with another vehicle so we are both always conscious of tightening the gas cap everytime we fill up. However, we went with it and cleared the CEL and had no immediate recurrence.

Several times since the initial incident we've had the CEL come on with the same code and sometimes, after driving home and shutting it down, the CEL is no longer on when we crank it back up. Other times, the CEL stays on for days or until we go have it scanned and get it reset. So, I finally take it to the dealer and spend a day and a half and a couple hundred bucks gettting it tested and, supposedly, fixed (something was replaced, not sure what other than it was not the gas cap). However, twice since taking it to the dealer the CEL has come on again and again both times the evap sensor code. It seems to run and be running fine and the auto parts people and the dealer says it's not something that's harmful to drive even with the CEL on with that code. So, we do.

Anyone else experience this and/or have any suggestions? My next logical step would seem to be to take it back to the dealer that did the work, with the CEL on again, and demand that it be fixed. But, that could go back and forth forever.
My '02 get that dang EVAP small leak code now and again,mostly in the fall or spring with the drastic temp variances.I'm a ASE master certified tech and will not bother with it on mine,it's not a issue as long as it is just a small leak code and have a known good gas cap.I just clear the code and will not see it for months.You can check all the EVAP hoses,more so the ones on the EVAP canister located just in front of the gas tank(big black box),there are 2 small hoses that like to crack and leak.If you just see it once every few months I would not worry,start to worry with the medium and large leak codes that will not go away.
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
LibertynJustice

I guess I should clarify the part about me taking the Jeep to the dealer and leaving it there for a day and a half at a signficant cost to have the system checked and tested and repaired where necessary. My understanding is that this involved some sort of smoke test to check for leaks or cracked lines. I believe, ultimately, the purge valve was replaced. A couple of weeks after the work was done, the CEL came on again with the same code and my wife stopped into the dealership to have them look at it. Basically she got a shoulder shrug type response from the service dept. as if they don't know what else to do. So, they cleared the code and sent her off. Now the light is on again. I probably shouldn't take that response from the dealer and take it back and make a big deal out of it paying for a fix that didn't fix the problem.
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertynJustice View Post
I guess I should clarify the part about me taking the Jeep to the dealer and leaving it there for a day and a half at a signficant cost to have the system checked and tested and repaired where necessary. My understanding is that this involved some sort of smoke test to check for leaks or cracked lines. I believe, ultimately, the purge valve was replaced. A couple of weeks after the work was done, the CEL came on again with the same code and my wife stopped into the dealership to have them look at it. Basically she got a shoulder shrug type response from the service dept. as if they don't know what else to do. So, they cleared the code and sent her off. Now the light is on again. I probably shouldn't take that response from the dealer and take it back and make a big deal out of it paying for a fix that didn't fix the problem.
Big temp swings like in the fall and spring can make the EVAP seals leak just a tad(totally normal) and you just get the code when the vacuum pump tests the system.It seams the KJ's EVAP detection is a bit more picky then other vehicles.You can make a big stink but they could replace the entire system and it probably won't make a bit of difference.You could also be causing the code and not know it.Do you happen to "top off" when filling the gas tank? If you do your the cause,that's why in newer vehicles you should not "top off" the tank when putting gas in.
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
LibertynJustice

No, we don't top off or ever leave the gas cap loose. We had a Honda mini-van a while back that gave us a CEL a couple of times and we were told then about the gas cap and topping off being possible causes so we purposefully don't do either anymore on our vehicles. However, I do take the point about the big temp swings, which we do get this time of year. However, that wouldn't explain why this vehicle never got a CEL the first 4 years or so that we owned it even though we have always lived in the same place with the same seasonal temp changes. I'm tempted to swap the gas cap anyway and just see what happens. But I don't want enough time to pass such as to let the dealer off the hook for the attempt they made already if I paid for a non-fix and half *** effort and just don't know it yet, for sure. Thanks for the responses. Going out to check the code right now.
Unread 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you had the work done at a dealership you automatically have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on that job if OEM parts where used.Does not matter if you have a warranty left on the vehicle or not.
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
LibertynJustice

Okay, I'm really not sure where I stand with the dealer or the warranty. The dealership is actually now just a GM shop as Chrysler shut down the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep franchise, owned by the same people back when they were going through all of that. Many of the people that worked in the Chrysler shop now work at the GM shop and they will still service our Jeep and Dodge and can still get parts and all of that. But having to live up to certain warranties may not be part of the package. And, as more is coming back to me, by the way, I believe it was actually the "purge solenoid" that they replaced after checking the system out.

I went out and checked and the code I'm getting is P0440 which appears to just be an evap system failure but no specifics other than that. I've cleared the code and will see what happens and will probably go ahead and change the gas cap as well just to see if it makes a difference.
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
thestrouds79

Check engine light- Small Evap leak

I know this isn old thread, but did anyone ever get this problem fixed completely?

We have the same problem, 06 liberty, except ours is not going off at all.
Took it to an emissons inspector, we have changed the purge valve, charcoal canister, Leak detection valve, all of the rubber hoses, 3 gas caps.

I has been hooked up to a smoke machine 4 seperate times, no leaks anywhere. They dropped the gas tank yesterday and changed the hoses on the top of the tank, and the filler hose for the fuel. Still came back on!

I am out of ideas, and money.
Everyone says its no big deal, but the car won't pass emissions in VA with the engine light on, so it can't be driven.

Any other ideas?
thestrouds79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
Jayman316
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman316
Hi, I have an 07 JK. Check engine light is on, reads are gas cap, vacuum. I have tried 4 different brand new caps, 2 from auto stores and 2 from dealer I reset light by disconnecting neg cable for 15mins. Light comes off and it resets right around after 80 miles then it passes inspection. Light comes back on after 100 miles. I even replaced the green O ring under jeep. I have been avoiding mechanics for now. Does anyone have help for me or do I just give up and pay the mech? Thanks Jay
. I also did replace the EGR valve.. Please help!!

Last edited by Jayman316; 05-01-2013 at 05:40 AM..
Jayman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.