CEL Code PO740 Torque Converter Clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > CEL Code PO740 Torque Converter Clutch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
TtownDick
2004 KJ Liberty 

CEL Code PO740 Torque Converter Clutch

Just bought a 04 Liberty Sport 4wd on Ebay w 128K miles
Seller said no CEL's BUT....
When I got it CEL was on.
Went to Advance and in addition to to the everpresent O2 sensor codes,
they showed PO740 Torque Converter Clutch out of range.

Anyone have experience with what this means?

Seller's going to check with his mechanic, but hopefully I can get some input here.

PS I noticed some vibration when driving. I was going to have tires balance and front end aligned. Could this be related to the Transmission?

TtownDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownDick View Post
Just bought a 04 Liberty Sport 4wd on Ebay w 128K miles
Seller said no CEL's BUT....
When I got it CEL was on.
Went to Advance and in addition to to the everpresent O2 sensor codes,
they showed PO740 Torque Converter Clutch out of range.

Anyone have experience with what this means?

Seller's going to check with his mechanic, but hopefully I can get some input here.

PS I noticed some vibration when driving. I was going to have tires balance and front end aligned. Could this be related to the Transmission?
Hopefully you will get more than a "tail light warranty" from the seller ("when I see your tail lights that's the extent of the warranty...")

That 740 indicates potentially significant issues with the trans. It could be just the torque converter but more likely the overdrive clutch pack is failing or failed. Trans shudder is a typical symptom.

IMO better to find another Liberty that's been maintained properly.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.