Car Stereo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Car Stereo

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
rafig770
2004 KJ Liberty 

Car Stereo

Hey,

I wanted to get a new simple car stereo for my car. I wanted to know if it's easy to install and if I need any other parts to install this stereo.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXGT340-Player-Receiver-Black/dp/B002OQ1J08/ref=lh_ni_t_

Thanks.

rafig770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Cannonball
1996 CJ5 

It may be a little more difficult that you think. New vehicles using a databus or Lan system as the Jeep does will require an interface module to change out the factory head unit.
If you do it your self do not go old school and try to cut the plug odd and hard wire it, you will damage the vehicle and possibly take out a computer.

Get qualified help and the right parts from a stereo shop and then try it your self.

Ask me anything else in a PM and Ill redirect you to my work email I do car stereo and 12 volt electronics for a living!

CB

1996 YJ-5 400 SB Chevy, Proflow EFI, NV4500 Trans with 6.34 low, Dynatrac HP Dana 60 Rear / Dana 44 front and 4:88 gears Featured in Sport & Utility June 1997.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
rafig770
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks.
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
WXman
2001 WJ 

On the Liberty, it's a cake walk. One of the easiest installations I've ever done. You need a wiring adapter and a mounting kit...both available at Walmart for less than $20, and you need an antenna adapter, which is available from places like Crutchfield. Then all you do is connect the wiring from the adapter to the wiring included with your new radio. Use crimp caps to do this (also available at Walmart). Then...the new radio is simply plug and play.

I can do one in less than 30 minutes on the KJ. There's only one screw and then the entire bezel around the radio pops off.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
bham-x
2003 KJ Liberty 

I changed mine out myself last christmas. It wasn't bad at all.
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
rafig770
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks guys.

I just went to the store and I was about to have the geek squad install it but I decided to try it myself. He gave me all the adapters I need but I asked him about the steering wheel controls and he said that part would cost $100 for it to work.

More info please, I need at least the volume to work, I use it all the time.
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Cannonball
1996 CJ5 

Dont know what radio you are using but for the Pioneer radios I use the PAC interface

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=29

$85 on line

For all other interfaces check out http://www.pac-audio.com/products.aspx

They make a good product!

CB

1996 YJ-5 400 SB Chevy, Proflow EFI, NV4500 Trans with 6.34 low, Dynatrac HP Dana 60 Rear / Dana 44 front and 4:88 gears Featured in Sport & Utility June 1997.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
On the Liberty, it's a cake walk. One of the easiest installations I've ever done. You need a wiring adapter and a mounting kit...both available at Walmart for less than $20, and you need an antenna adapter, which is available from places like Crutchfield. Then all you do is connect the wiring from the adapter to the wiring included with your new radio. Use crimp caps to do this (also available at Walmart). Then...the new radio is simply plug and play.

I can do one in less than 30 minutes on the KJ. There's only one screw and then the entire bezel around the radio pops off.

What's the antenna adaptor for? Is it necessary?
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
What's the antenna adaptor for? Is it necessary?
It allows you to connect the factory Jeep antenna to the back of your new aftermarket head unit. Yes, it is necessary if you want to listen to AM/FM stations.

As far as steering wheel controls go... get the Axxess ASWC adapter. It's only $69 shipped from Crutchfield, it only takes 3 wires to hook up to the Liberty, and it works like a charm. It's by far the easiest and best solution to keep your steering wheel buttons useable. (Mine is a Pioneer unit...I assume other brands will be the same).
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
rafig770
2004 KJ Liberty 

Long story short. On Thursday I went to Best Buy. I bought the stereo the wire adapter and the mounting kit. He told me Geek Squad can install it for $49 but I decided to try it myself. Well he didn't tell me about any antenna adapter until I am ready to plug everything in after connecting all the wires. I thought I was doing something wrong but now I see I need an adapter. I am going back tomorrow.

Thanks for the steering wheel information.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.