Can't remove my starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Can't remove my starter

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
bttlshp
2002 KJ Liberty 

Can't remove my starter

Hello-
I'm stuck in the middle of replacing what I'm 90% sure is my bad starer on my '02 3.7L Liberty. Right now, the starter is totally loose and disconnected, and I just can't get it out. I've read that you're supposed to remove the transmission to bellhouse brace. Is this part #2 in the attached picture?

I'm really hoping I don't have to remove my part of the exhaust. Any other tips for getting it out?

Thanks!

bttlshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

I didn't get a chance to actually crawl under mine to doublecheck but I thought it might be accessible or removable if you remove the front driveshaft at the front diff. Again, I haven't checked but was under it last week and seemed reasonable.
Unread 04-06-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

When it doubt, the FSM is your friend

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
bttlshp
2002 KJ Liberty 

AVR2-
Thanks for the diagram! Where did you find it?

I hope its as easy as just undoing those to exhaust flange bolts then wiggling the starter out. Those bolts are pretty rusty, and I'm sure they will give me trouble. By "front of the starter", do you think they mean the end that normally faces the front of the vehicle?
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttlshp View Post
AVR2-
Thanks for the diagram! Where did you find it?
In the FSM (factory service manual).

Quote:
By "front of the starter", do you think they mean the end that normally faces the front of the vehicle?
Almost certainly, yes.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

I like my FSM but this may be the hard way. I'm not in any way saying its wrong but I'm thinking just removing the front drive shaft will do it. I believe the FSM protocol for front driveshaft removal includes unbolting the exhaust, but I was able to drop mine to change the Tcase CV without loosening the exhaust. That front CV at the diff really compresses alot. Seemed like plenty of room to get the starter out at that point but I've never actually replaced mine.

Maybe your exhaust at that junction isn't as rusted as mine. If I undid my crusty springbolts I'd have to replace them.
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
bttlshp
2002 KJ Liberty 

Finished the job today. I had to loosen the upper clamp on the exhaust down pipe to wiggle it out of the way. I only needed 1/4" or so. I had put some DB blaster on the rusty old exhaust flange bolts the night before, so everything came apart alright. The starter came out with the solenoid at 12 oclock, with the rear-of-vehicle facing side leading the way.
The new starter is in and working fine.

It was not a fun job.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.