Can't read error codes. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Can't read error codes.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
SIGP2101
2006 KJ Liberty 

Can't read error codes.

No matter what I do I can't get my Jeep Liberty Limited 2006 3.7L to spell out codes for me. I am utilizing key method. I got CEL yesterday first time ever and I am curious where to start troubleshooting but can't get codes out.
Tried following methods:

Off-On
Off-On
Off-On, within 5 seconds, nothing

On-Off
On-Off
On-Off
On, within 5 seconds, nothing

Tried all of the above with pressing and without pressing trip reset button. but no codes. Can any one provide any advice? Is there any other method other than going to garage.

SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Some years that key trick does not work.
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Some years that key trick does not work.
Yes, my 05MY will read codes with the key trick. They might have stopped it with the 06MY like the OP has? Not sure what years they stopped. Last I knew it worked with 02-05MY but not sure after that.

IIRC it is.......on....off......on.....off and then on .....and codes will display or it will say "done". Haven't done it for awhile now.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGP2101 View Post
No matter what I do I can't get my Jeep Liberty Limited 2006 3.7L to spell out codes for me. I am utilizing key method. I got CEL yesterday first time ever and I am curious where to start troubleshooting but can't get codes out.
Tried following methods:

Off-On
Off-On

On-Off
On-Off
On-Off

Tried all of the above with pressing and without pressing trip reset button. but no codes. Can any one provide any advice? Is there any other method other than going to garage.
Even with the key method, you still need a device to check for codes, as not all codes will always come up, and in many cases, if you don't wish to guess the part that is bad, you need datastream capability.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGP2101 View Post
Tried following methods:

Off-On
Off-On

On-Off
On-Off
On-Off

The Trip Reset button has got nothing to do with it.
Holding in the Trip Reset button while turning ON the ignition will excercise the cluster...turns all cluster lamps on and moves the gauges around then ends with a display something like "2.4" which is the software level of the cluster.

I do not believe that the 2006 KJ supports the key method of pulling codes...they changed the protocol from PCI to CAN in 2006 and I think they decided not to have the key method anymore...rather have KJ owners pay the Dealership to have codes read
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
SIGP2101
2006 KJ Liberty 

Code is gone, CEL is gone. I cleaned IAC two days ago and CEL is off this morning. Jeep idling at 550 RPMS like brand new. Also noticed immediate fuel economy improvement.

THANKS to all for the input!
SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

The KJ gets cranky when that little bugger is dirty Glad to hear your runnin smooth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.