Can't Move 4WD Lever - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Can't Move 4WD Lever

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
gudde1251
2005 KJ Liberty 

Can't Move 4WD Lever

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited -Trail Edition.

Over the years I have used the 4WD without any problems. Yesterday, while I tried to move from 2H to 4H, The lever will not move out of the 2H position. It has been maybe six months or longers since I have used it.
Any suggestions!

gudde1251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

make sure the car is moving slightly forward 1-5mph and try it. Is it moving then binding, or just not budging at all?
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
gudde1251
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the reply kairo, Yes, I have tried at all different speeds, power applied, coasting, Parked, In Neutral, In Gear, In Reverse, It will not budge. I pulled the boot off the lever, but there is no real access from there.
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

And all the linkage underneath the vehicle is fine? No sticks or rocks kicked up and got wedged in there (Hey, stranger things have happened). Check for obstructions and shoot a bunch of silicone lube underneath. Pull HARD. the np231 on my XJ was sticky sometimes and required quite a yank to engage.
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:14 AM   #5
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Get it up on a lift and check it out. You do not want to snap anything under there.
Mike
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check out this thread........

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/t...-nv231-849319/

Mike
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
gudde1251
2005 KJ Liberty 

Got it on a lift yesterday. Nothing appears out of place on the linkage. The cable end was moving slightly when trying to engage the handle. I suspect something wrong in the lever assembly unit. What can I look for there?
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would def not force it. Perhaps undo the linkage and see if the lever will move easily in and out of 4WD. If it does, then it's in the transfer case. I'm reaching here, I wish I had mine in the air to peek at it too.
Mike
Unread 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
gudde1251
2005 KJ Liberty 

Okay. Heres the fix in this instance. I bought the electronic Service Manua online and downloaded. This makes it really easy to remove the console and the lever mechanism. I disassembled the shift lever mechanism and found nothing that would keep it from moving. With the shift lever mechanism loose and out of the way, I was able to see the Transfer Case lever from the top. It appeared the shift lever handle was "Slightly moving" the Transfer Case Lever. So I decided the trouble was in the Transfer Case. So, I grabbed the trusty 2 foot crow bar and applied "gentle" persuasion between the housing and the lever. No Luck. So I drove the Jeep down the driveway with the guts still unassembled. I again applied more gentle persuasion and after about 3 attempts it came loose.
I stopped and screwed down the shift mechanism assembly. I then drove again and it shifted easily between all gears. My hypothesis is the lever in the transfer case has very slightly corroded from not being used frequently.
A WORD OF CAUTION!!! Understand the risk of doing this procedure and applying too much force! If something breaks at this point, It will be very, very expensive to fix. It worked this time for me, It might not work for you.
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

This why you should always take your 4wd to a gravel road or dirt lot and drive for about 10-15mins in 4wd once a month just to keep the t-case in good working order.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.