can a liberty tow anything - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > can a liberty tow anything

UCF Tax Refund Sale - Last One of the Year!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
barb0802

can a liberty tow anything

Hi,

I would like to purchase a Travel Trailer, and I'm receiving so many negative responses when I tell them it will be towed by a 6 cyl. 2002 Jeep Liberty. I called the Jeep dealer and he said I can tow 5000 lbs, with a tow package, which I don't have but will surely have the whole hitching system put on.

My question is, is anyone towing a Travel Trailer, and if so do you know what GVCR the Travel Trailer is and are you having problems... It just seems like people think my Jeep will not be able to pull anything but a Pop-UP and I just wanted to hear from some owners if that's the case or not.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Barb

barb0802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Beacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb0802
Hi,

I would like to purchase a Travel Trailer, and I'm receiving so many negative responses when I tell them it will be towed by a 6 cyl. 2002 Jeep Liberty. I called the Jeep dealer and he said I can tow 5000 lbs, with a tow package, which I don't have but will surely have the whole hitching system put on.

My question is, is anyone towing a Travel Trailer, and if so do you know what GVCR the Travel Trailer is and are you having problems... It just seems like people think my Jeep will not be able to pull anything but a Pop-UP and I just wanted to hear from some owners if that's the case or not.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Barb
I've got a Jayco JayFeather I pull with my 2006 3.7L gasser. It's a 20' and weighs in around 3500 empty if I recall correctly. I wouldn't want to go much bigger than that without a bigger engine. But that load seems to be OK. Be sure to have electric brakes and a weight distributing hitch.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
barb0802

Thanks Beacon

So, what number on the trailer should I be concerned with..? UVW or GVCR to make sure it's under 3500 lbs?

THanks for your help, I'm so happy to see at least one person is towing a trailer with a liberty..
Unread 07-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
naturist

Jeep Dealer told you right. Should be able to handle 5000 lbs gross weight with the proper hitch and brakes, no problem. But yes, that does mean you are only looking at the smaller rigs, pop-ups included, but not limited to pop-ups.

Stick to the shorter/lighter units, you should be fine.
naturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
barb0802

Thanks Naturist!!!
I'm glad to be hearing this from Liberty owners, the people on the RV websites are telling me "no way!"

so I just shouldn't exceed 5000 lbs with the entire set up?
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
LoneLiberty
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb0802
Thanks Naturist!!!
I'm glad to be hearing this from Liberty owners, the people on the RV websites are telling me "no way!"

so I just shouldn't exceed 5000 lbs with the entire set up?
I was told by a trailer dealer not to go over 3,500 lb. empty weight to be on the safe side, because by the time you add your provisions to the trailer, you'll be around 4,000 + lbs.
Unread 07-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
CRD4Liberty

The RV people have no experience with smaller rigs, they think you have to have a monster rig to do anything, after all this is America, home of big everything. You'd get info from sites in Australia and the UK where they have always pulled loads with smaller rigs. I have the Liberty CRD and I tow loads in the range your talking all the time.
Big aluminum jetboat, loaded 2 horse trailers. 12 ft utility trailer loades with hay, firewood, building supplies, etc.
Have been in Liberty gassers pulling similar loads, if you do the correct setup of the trailer and rig, you'll have no problems. Set up incorrectly and you'll see some, but that's how it is with all rigs.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
barb0802

I'm feeling better already... thanks so much!!!!!
Unread 07-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #9
jeepjeepster

Since you have the 2002 liberty, you also have the 45rfe tranny which is the same tranny they use behind the hemis in the rams and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Its a solid tranny for the liberty so you should never have any troubles with it.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to get the HD cooling pack installed on the liberty which includes an engine driven fan(yours has an electric fan), a bigger fan shroud, and a tranny cooler. You already have a tranny cooler built into the main engine radiator but the towing pack comes with an aux cooler in series with the cooler thats already in the radiator.

You should be fine as long as the trailer you are pulling is under 25ft and around 3500 lbs. Like LoneLibery said, once you add all your gear and people, you are close to or over 4k.

If you are going to be doing alot of HW trailing with the trailer, which Im sure you will, it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a Weight distribution setup along with anti sway. thats almost a must for the liberty since the wheel base is kinda short..

Take it easy and use common since and you will be fine. Keep O/D locked out to keep the tranny from shifting to much. It will probably get alittle slow on the hills which is perfectly normal. If it starts shifting into and out of 2nd gear on the hills, go ahead and lock it in 2nd gear and make sure you keep O/D off too. It changes the shift points and locks the Torque in the tranny sooner to keep down temps. I usually go ahead and put it into 2nd gear if the speeds drop below 40-45mph or so but thats a personal preference. The engine rpms will be around 3500-4k and its always a good idea to use SYN oil in everything when you will be towing. Be sure to stay ontop of the maintance schdule for everything. Dont forget about the diff, tcase, and tranny.

Enjoy and be safe!
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

The issue isn't the Liberty's tow rating, it's just ignorance. I see things that people tow all the time that I know the Liberty can handle. See, the other SUVs in the Liberty's size range have horrible tow ratings, some as low as 1000lbs and maybe lower. So people will sit there and assume that's all the Liberty is capable of as well. No monster truck is necessary for half the stuff people pull with...
Unread 07-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
CRD4Liberty

There is a lot of myths out there. Jeeps can't tow anything, etc. Than you look at some pics from WWII and there is a Jeep towing a trailer full of ammo, there's another pulling an artillery piece, one set up as a litter. Look at the old Popular Mechanics and there are the old Jeep PUs pulling big travel trailers, with the same running gear as the little jeeps. Now look at the wheelbase of that PU, short little sucker, the old Cherokee and this rig have the same wheelbase but this rig has 800 lbs more iron all pretty much to stiffen the body and beef the running gear.
This rigs are built to get it done and don't let anyone tell you different.
Another great underrated rig is the Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport from a few years ago. Dana 44 rear end and built to take it. Everyone but the US customer knows so much more about the different rigs. Someone has decided what is cool, what they are going to build parts for, etc. That's why companies like ARB/OME get my business they know off road rigs, all of them.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

wait.... a little V6 liberty can tow as much as my big lifted JEEP grand cherokee with a 5.9???

my max tow weight is 5000Lbs too, im confused as to how they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
jeepjeepster

Since the liberty weighs more than a ZJ, yes, it is the same. And the 5.9 stock is kinda sad with the HP and torque..

When you put a lift and tires on a Jeep, it usually makes it worse at towing.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #14
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

If the RV people don't believe you, you could always take the Liberty manual to them and show them the page in the back that gives all the towing scenarios. That ought to shut them up.

The real issue I see with towing with the Liberty is you have take it easy. As mentioned before the shorter wheel base can be interesting to work with but with a proper setup and patience it handles fine. Personally, after having pulled some tremendous weights with 1/2 pickups on the farm towing with my Liberty is a joy. Also, who wants to pull 3000 lbs with something that's rated for 10,000 lbs? It looks silly.h

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #15
barb0802

Thanks again everyone, I'm printing this thread out, you've all given me such great information!!!

I have a couple of questions for Jeepster:

What is HW Trailing?

And do you mean keep overdrive off? I have a automatic, so do you also mean I should put it in low?

I believe we are getting the weight distribution and anti-sway hookup... I should look into the transmission cooler thing I guess..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.