Can jeep diagnostic identify what a garage has done - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-20-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
TLD24
2002 KJ Liberty 

Can jeep diagnostic identify what a garage has done

I am in need of advice as I believe that I have been the victim of a scam at the hands of a Bulgarian who may have damaged my car and has told so many lies (which I have learned from this site) and as a consequence my jeep is no longer running and I am stuck as don't have any idea what to do! I hope that there is some way a jeep diagnostic can help prove this as I can't even find a jeep mechanic in Bulgaria. Please help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2017, 02:38 AM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

If these guys only removed and replaced the CPS sensor then it is unlikely that they caused any damage as this part is easy to get to and to replace. If they removed the rubber timing belt or removed the head...which requires removing the belt as well...then they could have screwed things up badly as it is a major undertaking to re-time the belt properly!

If you can manually rotate the engine with a large spanner on the crank drive pulley without any problems then hopefully the engine has not been damaged. You would have to tow the Jeep to a Jeep dealership to get their opinion as to whether or not the engine has been damaged by these guys. Even something as simple as spraying Starter Fluid into a CRD inlet manifold can cause damage which would be difficult to prove.

Please send me an e-mail to: billwill@vodamail.co.za so I can reply to it with an attachment that explains your error codes....I am having problems trying to get this through to you!

You may be lucky and only have a minor problem stopping the engine from running smoothly!

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-21-2017, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
TLD24
2002 KJ Liberty 

Billwill I have just emailed a different email address as think other not working. Having looked in car today the crankshaft position sensor that they put in is actually a Bosch crank pulse sensor part number 0281 002 434 19012 which I don't think is compatible.... ??? It don't look new either.. they told me that there is nothing wrong with it and the problem is injector 4 cyclinder nozzle is out of bed and no need for computer diagnostic as saw it with his own eyes. When all this started the only problem was the jeep stalling on occasion while driving and this pointed to Crankshaft position sensor (sensor fault somewhere) and nothing more but when they changed the sensor it was driving but sounding noisy and they said I needed new injectors as well but I didn't believe them as by them they had already overcharged me for sensor and the car was driving worse after and not better and instead of check if news sensor was actually ok when it broke down again and I asked for my money back as clearly it had not sorted the problem. Also would not give me a receipt etc. Then they say it was injectors and had thought that all along without explaining why they never mentioned it until I told them I didn't think the crank sensor had fixed problem as I don't believe they did it. I do believe now that the injector has gone but I think this was deliberate to stop me complaining about money back and have to pay more money and for them to be proved right. I asked them to recheck sensor as a little noisy, on way to garage to do this, they claim to have broken down in my jeep and the reason was the injector nozzle for cyclinder 4 had now 'come out of its bed' needing replacement at my cost of approx £300 and I was not entitled to any refund on Sensor as nothing wrong with it but injectors the problem as they warned me already and my fault now they are broken

post #4 of 4 Old 08-22-2017, 05:26 AM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hopefully you should now have received from me the list of error codes for the 2.5 Export CRD which should help.

I assume that you got your codes using the "Key" method....the last code received is what you should work on.
Unfortunately the "key" method has limitations.

You cannot erase the codes.
The last digit of the code sometimes is transposed so that a code of for example P0152 may actually be P0125!

The main problem is that the ECM only records any error once no matter if it is re-occurring fairly often.

So for example say 5 years ago you got a code of P0152...this would be stored near the top of your code readout.
Now you recently received a code for the Crank Sensor...I forget the code let us say it is P1034.
The Crank sensor is replaced and let us say it is now working.
But now Code P0152 is occurring constantly....it will not show as the last code in the string of codes but stays near the top of the list ie. occupies the same position as when you got code P0152 5 years ago!

So you really need to have all the codes cleared so you are starting with a clean slate. Unfortunately with the old KJs using a PCI Bus for communication only the Dealers can reset it or a few lucky KJ owners who have found an elusive Code Reader able to handle PCI systems.

You should try Google that Bosch Crank Sensor part number to see if it is OK for your KJ or contact Bosch directly and ask them.
With the correct Error Code list that hopefully you now have you should be able to see if there is anything wrong with the injectors as the Bulgarians are stating or if maybe your last code posted will point you in the right direction.....maybe the Crank Sensor or even the Cam Sensor?

When last did you replace the rubber timing belt? Needs to be replaced every 100,000 mile or within 6 years.
Major noise from the engine could be a slipped belt or broken valve rockers and it is just a coincidence that something broke now.

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.