Can I sometimes (or full time) use 91 gasoline? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Can I sometimes (or full time) use 91 gasoline?

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #31
lt1tyrell
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hahaha ok you win, you are right...more compression=less power...

lt1tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #32
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
No it does not,just increasing the compression ratio on a engine will not gain more power,actually you could loose HP.Tuning and the correct fuel is needed to gain the HP from a compression ratio increase.

let's see the I6 is a I6,not a V8.There are tuning that takes advantage of the .7:1 compression on the V8's HO engine.

So like before higher compression does not automatically increase HP,you need to tune it and run the correct fuel to see any HP gain.
Fist of all, there is no difference in the way an I6 and a V8 work, they are both combustible gasoline engines.

Second, let's analyze this, if you compress the gasoline/air in an engine which do you think will explode with greater force, the one compressed more or less? ....still don't know?.....think of a musket, if you dont pack the powder in tightly the projectile will not travel very far (the piston rotating the crank), but if you do pack it tight it travels farther (the piston pushing harder and the crank rotating faster).

Third, you now start to "kinda" agree that compression is directly proportional to hp.

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #33
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbb2005 View Post

Third, you now start to "kinda" agree that compression is directly proportional to hp.
No kinda agree,just increasing the compression will not give you more power,you must do other things to get more power from increasing the compression ratio.It is also fact that without those tuning mods more compression reduces HP,just look at the advertising for the Hyundai Genesis,200 some HP only if using premium gas,makes less on regular gas since the PCM has to adjust timing and such with the higher compression ratio.

The I6 is nothing like the V8,a inline engine has distinct characteristics then a V8 and responds differently to engine mods.
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #34
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK folks - this thread has went way south. Back to the OP's question......... or drop it. But me thinks the octane thing has been discussed. Take it to PM's.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #35
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

The I6 is nothing like the V8,a inline engine has distinct characteristics then a V8 and responds differently to engine mods.
I didn't say they were the same, I said they operate the same, from a theory aspect of how an engine works.

I love it when some people will argue a point on and on until everyone gets sick of arguing and gives up and then they are right, its like winning a race because the other guy didn't show up to the track.

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #36
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbb2005 View Post
Description
_________________4.0L I-6____ 4.7L V8 ____ 4.7L V8 HO
Displacement______ 4.0 L ______ 4.7 L______ 4.7 L
Compression Ratio _ 8.8:1 ______ 9.0:1 ______9.7:1
Power (SAE net)___ 195 BHP ___ 235 BHP ___ 265-270 BHP

'Splain Lucy.

source: Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Engine specifications
the HO 4.7 makes most of its power from a different cam profile. Your argument is invalid.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #37
oldMountainMan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt2005 View Post
Hi,

I've been using 87 on my KJ since day one. Heard from some friends (I am not mechanically inclined as you may tell ) that sometimes switching to a full tank of 91 will help clean the fuel system and give it a boost. Thought it a good advice; however, I remember vaguely the KJ manual says something like the car is designed for 87 and using high octane gas may harm the engine. Thats why I never used 91.

Another question I have is: I've been swinging between Chrevon, Shell, Mobil, 76 (and sometimes Arco). I noticed 76 seems to give me the highest mpg. But I am not sure if I am right because I don't have any data to back up. Any advice on the best gasoline name to use?

Thanks a bunch
Higher octane gasoline won't hurt anything but your wallet. It also won't help anything. Octane rating measures knock resistance, and nothing else. The 91 octane has the same cldaning additives as the 87 . Using higher octane than the engine needs just wastes money.
oldMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gasoline , octane , liberty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.