Can I adjust the parking brake cable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Can I adjust the parking brake cable?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Can I adjust the parking brake cable?

I noticed lately that my PB/E-brake lever has to be pulled higher and higher, is there a adjustment somewhere that I can do to restore the lever back to where
it grabs lower?? my book does not say anything about doing this which puzzles me.

Mark

2005 Jeep Liberty sport 4x4

Turbobearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

You can pop the rubber plug out of the back of each rear brake cover, and manually adjust the star-wheel with a flat-blade screwdriver to tighten up the parking brake shoes.

Also, I believe you are supposed to be able to back up about 10-15 MPH, pull the parking brake handle firmly and quickly, and the shoes will self-adjust. But most people find that this does not usually work properly.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

So your saying there is no adjustment for the cable itself, just only the shoes?
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

just found this on how to adjust the brake cable tension

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...ng+brake+cable
Unread 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobearcat View Post
just found this on how to adjust the brake cable tension

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...ng+brake+cable
That is not a adjustment,that is actually the parking brake lockout when replacing the cables themselfs and does nothing.There is no adjustment for the disc brake parking brakes as they are self adjusting.You have a parking brake issue,time to tear the brakes apart and inspect.
Unread 02-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

I know on my 2002 CRD, which has drums at the rear, my park brake would steadily get worse. Every time it went to the dealer for a service I complained about it not working. Eventually the actual handbrake lever mechanism was replaced. It is a complex setup...not just a straight forward ratchet...it has a spring assembly wrapping around it that acts as a sort of one-way clutch.
If you do not come right by adjusting the park brakes as suggested here...you may need to look at the actual lever assembly....assuming they still use the same lever system!
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
I know on my 2002 CRD, which has drums at the rear, my park brake would steadily get worse. Every time it went to the dealer for a service I complained about it not working. Eventually the actual handbrake lever mechanism was replaced. It is a complex setup...not just a straight forward ratchet...it has a spring assembly wrapping around it that acts as a sort of one-way clutch.
If you do not come right by adjusting the park brakes as suggested here...you may need to look at the actual lever assembly....assuming they still use the same lever system!
Now if you have drum brakes you can adjust the parking brake as it is your whole rear drum setup and should be adjusted once a year anyways for best braking.
Unread 02-25-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Now if you have drum brakes you can adjust the parking brake as it is your whole rear drum setup and should be adjusted once a year anyways for best braking.
Yes I totaly agree with you here, in fact I am about to check the wear and adjustment of my rear drums and shoes again as I can feel that the park brake is slowly getting worse!
When I was having my initial problem however, from new, the park brake constantly went bad at a rapid rate and only replacing the handle ratchet mechanism laid that problem to rest.
The park brake setup on the early Kjs with the drums at the rear is a lot better than with the disks at the rear but I would definitely wish to have rear disks on my Jeep as regards the better braking performance.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well the problem was found with mine at the dealership..
A broken spring was causing the noise-which was the spring acting with the shoe and the inside of the drum...
I am glad that I had new disc ready to go on but we had to order the springs kit!!!!
Oh well.. it will be fixed this weekend.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.