Can I add steering wheel radio buttons myself? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Can I add steering wheel radio buttons myself?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
2005renegade
2005 KJ Liberty 

Can I add steering wheel radio buttons myself?

Wondering if (or how to find out if) it is possible to add factory steering wheel radio controls to my Liberty.

Are they all wired for it, or would it have to be wired, and does it depend on which radio you have.

Anyone tried it? Success? Any help or advice appreciated...

2005renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
joelwg
2005 WJ 

I would not say yes for definate, but you can on the wj and the info is on wjjeeps.com if it helps. If you take off the airbag Carefully and check your clockspring there should be a connection for the harness. It is a really simple job, I'm just in the middle of doing my wj. You will then need the controlls and possibly to cut out the blanks on the reverse of the wheel, or get a complete wheel from a breakers with everything you need. I would keep as close to the same year as possible to make things easier.
joelwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
CATCRD
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yes, I have done it. A buddy got the buttons with their wire pigtails from a junkyard. You need to remove the airbag, pull the steering wheel off with a wheel puller and get the backing plastic off. Cut holes in that to fit the buttons and reassemble. If your KJ came with a premium BCM (if you have remote locking doors I think is one indicator) then the pigtails just plug right in and the stereo will recognize them. Added cruise buttons at the same time, but needed to take it to the dealer for them to enable that bit in the software.
CATCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
2005renegade
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCRD View Post
Yes, I have done it. A buddy got the buttons with their wire pigtails from a junkyard. You need to remove the airbag, pull the steering wheel off with a wheel puller and get the backing plastic off. Cut holes in that to fit the buttons and reassemble. If your KJ came with a premium BCM (if you have remote locking doors I think is one indicator) then the pigtails just plug right in and the stereo will recognize them. Added cruise buttons at the same time, but needed to take it to the dealer for them to enable that bit in the software.
Cool. Good to know. Is the airbag removal straight forward or difficult? I've looked into doing it on other cars before, but never completed it.
2005renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005renegade View Post
Cool. Good to know. Is the airbag removal straight forward or difficult? I've looked into doing it on other cars before, but never completed it.
Make sure you disconnect the battery and turn the headlight switch on and walk away for 15-30mins(to drain SRS system capaciters) then come back turn off headlight switch and then remove the airbag.Make sure all SRS system connectors are securely plugged in before hooking the battery back up to prevent any accidental firing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.