Camshaft gear timing help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Camshaft gear timing help!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
cgi2099
1984 CJ7 

Camshaft gear timing help!

Working on a 2002 Jeep Liberty V6 3.7 with blown heads, long story short i had the camshaft gears at top dead center with the V6 mark a 12 o'clock position and the crank lined up with the top dead center line. Pulled the heads replaced gaskets and had every thing ready to go back together and while i was at the parts store the guy i was working with turned the crank with the chains back on with everything still at top dead center the gears ready to go without the secondary chain idlers on, and some how the passengers side cam chain skipped a sprocket on the crank gear when he turned the crank and is not top dead any more but still lines up with the orange dot, what do i do to correct this problem. How do i make sure everything is top dead center after i figure out how to fix this problem.

I really need help with this one guys,
Josh

cgi2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgi2099 View Post
Working on a 2002 Jeep Liberty V6 3.7 with blown heads, long story short i had the camshaft gears at top dead center with the V6 mark a 12 o'clock position and the crank lined up with the top dead center line. Pulled the heads replaced gaskets and had every thing ready to go back together and while i was at the parts store the guy i was working with turned the crank with the chains back on with everything still at top dead center the gears ready to go without the secondary chain idlers on, and some how the passengers side cam chain skipped a sprocket on the crank gear when he turned the crank and is not top dead any more but still lines up with the orange dot, what do i do to correct this problem. How do i make sure everything is top dead center after i figure out how to fix this problem.

I really need help with this one guys,
Josh
TDC is when the no.1 piston is at the top,and both valves are closed.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
cgi2099
1984 CJ7 

the chilton manual I'm using says that the drivers side should be closed and the passenger should be open, is that correct?
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
the chilton manual I'm using says that the drivers side should be closed and the passenger should be open, is that correct?
Just worry about the #1 cylinder,piston on top,both valves closed,and make sure your on the right stroke.When you think its at TDC,rock the engine just a little bit by hand,and the valves shouldnt move.
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
cgi2099
1984 CJ7 

how do I know what stroke I'm on and how do I check to see if the number one cylinder is on top with the heads on?
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
how do I know what stroke I'm on and how do I check to see if the number one cylinder is on top with the heads on?
Youll have to take out the spark plug,and see if you see the piston.If you have the valve cover off,then you can see the valves.At work we had a whistle hooked up to a hose,and screwed in the plug hole,turn over engine,and when the whistle blew it was TDC.
Unread 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
blk00rt
2007 KJ Liberty 

i always put my finger over the spark plug hole and when the piston is at the top of the hole, your finger will be forced off the spark plug hole.
blk00rt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.