Caliper not releasing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Caliper not releasing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Caliper not releasing

Took those termoquiets and wagner rotors back to advance. Did some sketchy things, made a little bit more money back than I spent, went to Napa and got the ultra premium rotors and adaptive one pads (they look so much nicer to begin with)

Jacked the from up a good foot off the ground. Transmission in park, both front wheels off the ground more than enough, tcase in neutral, emergency brake on, ready to take the tires off and start swapping out for my new stuff.

Problem.. while I checked this months ago when I got new tires and didnt see an issue, I spun the wheel as hard as I could, it went around about 3/4 of a turn, and stopped. Sounded like the brakes were grinding the whole time.

With the front rotors cold, took it for a ride up and down my street using only the e-brake to stop from low speeds, put it in park, and without ever touching the brake pedal, the front discs were hot.

What do I do next?

thanks (sorry for another long post)

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

You're well on your way to figuring out whats been plaguing you with these brakes. You know its holding pressure on the fronts, and it takes some force to spin them freely, right? One of three things are happening here. One, the slide pins that the caliper slides on are sticking or frozen(easily happen where you live in roadsalt paradise). Next, the caliper piston itself could be sticking in the bore of the caliper. Lastly, hydraulic, or brake fluid pressure could be holding, and not letting off when you let off the brake pedal, meaning its pushing against the calipers still. Using the right size wrench, open up the bleeder on the offending caliper, and see if fluid comes out, and if the wheel turns freely afterwards. If it does, then something is holding pressure on the brakes. If not, you have an issue in the caliper(s). If it is holding pressure, then you need to determine if its confined to the brake hose, or further upstream. Pump up the brakes, and get the calipers sticking again, and loosen the brake line on the master cylinder side of the brake hose. See if that gets you the same effect. If it doesnt, your hose is the, or a problem. If it isnt, then it will get more involved, but I am betting its either a hose problem, or caliper problem.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok that sounds like a plan to me aha. I forgot to mention that about 5 months ago (when I was still have brake problems) I had my master replaced and that neither fixed or made the problem with the front brakes worse.

I have already lost multiple seals and rubber parts on my jeep and f150 due to the salt and that liquid road deicer they use around here so ill check that too.

Is there any special way I should open the bleeder to prevent air getting back into the system or anything? I'm at school 50 miles from my tools until next week and all I have with me is jacks, stands, adj wrenches, knife, and some recovery gear hah

Highway driving is starting to get scary

Edit: Also, both front wheels seem to have the same issue.

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

If its under pressure, from say a restricted brake hose, air wont enter the bleeder, as it will be shooting out. Best bet is have a guy handy to help you bleed the brakes.
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

had my drums looked at and the tech said my brake fluid looked like sludge and recommended a full flush. He couldn't understand why because the fluid in the overflow is brand new, until i told him the master cylinder was recently replaced.

Im going to flush the lines as soon as I can, and if that doesnt fix them and if theres no pressure up front like you suggested, im just going to replace the calipers since with the core return. its cheap enough. and if i can save brakes, my gas millage will hopefully go up above 14.5 for the first time ever, and ill save gas and money.

ill keep you posted. hopefully will have this done by saturday

Unread 10-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Replaced my rotors and pads today:

Opened the bleeder, no change. Took the caliper off, no change. Took off the caliper mount, pads, rotor (you guessed it) no change.

Is it common for there to be a lot of resistance in the front axle? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Unread 10-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Did you only do one side, or both sides at the same time? We dont have center disconnects, so when you turn the rotor, you are turning the differential, and the driveshaft. If the 4wd or awd is engaged, then it will force the rotor on the opposite side to turn.
Unread 10-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

lifted both sides up, supported the jeep with jack stands on the frame just behind the wheels. Lifted the lower control arms up with two bottle jacks so the wheels would be in line (parallel to the ground). Transmission in park, transfer case (its a 2002 so no full time/awd only 2, part time, neutral, 4 low) in either 2 Hi or neutral (tried both)

Took everything off the axle on both sides (calipers, tire, pads, rotor, everything) and attempted to spin the axle holding onto the lugs (for lack of a better place) and still the same heavy amount of friction and a slight noise. As if you were playing shuffle board but very faint.

The upper control arms look very new (must have been replaced just before I bought it in 2010) and so do CVs (rubber is in good shape and no corrosion or rust at all)

Unread 10-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Really hard to say without it in front of me. Any play in the wheel from the hub bearing? Any roaring noise above 20mph? The front wheels wont turn super easy like a 2wd, because of the drivetrain, but it still shouldnt be alot of resistance. Either way, that wont cause premature brake wear, unless your hub bearings are loose/worn the heck out.

Tags
brake , caliper , disc , dragging

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.