A/C stops blowing cold air after long trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > A/C stops blowing cold air after long trip

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
ryan17
2003 KJ Liberty 

A/C stops blowing cold air after long trip

First post on here. Good to be here. 03 Jeep Liberty owner from Texas.

So my issue is the a/c blowing cold air is acting very odd. Driving around town it blows cold air fine on any setting. After you drive for an hour or more on a trip, the cold air stops blowing and just hot air comes out. It will continue to blow hot air rest of trip. I turn a/c system off and on several times as well as snowflake button but does not fix issue. Then the next morning or after car has rested for a while(few hours) the cold air will be blowing back cold fine.

We had the a/c system checked out and it turned out fine. We took it to local garage when it was blowing cold air and they checked it out and said it was fine. They ran an a/c test on it and could not find anything at issue. They said to bring it back when blowing hot air. The blower seems to be fine so maybe its a loose connection somewhere electrial or condenser issue. Other wise the system is fine and no issues.

Any one else had an issue like this with cold air a/c???

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this.

ryan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

It could be the A/C clutch starts slipping when it gets hot.Double check all you connections.When it starts blowing out warm air,look at the clutch and see if its still engaging or cuttting out off and on.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
ryan17
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks richd for taking the time to reply to my post. I will check that part out and see if that is causing any issue. Thanks
Unread 04-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
jimymc
2003 KJ Liberty 

Just had the same thing happen to us a couple of days ago. We started down the Interstate and the A/C quit blowing cold. We turned around to go home and get the other car and after a short time of slow travel it began to blow cold again. We started back out again and just like before it quit blowing cold. Then a way down the road it started making a noise. It was the compressor clutch. We let it cool down and took our time getting to the Auto A/C repair facility. New compressor with clutch and drier and $500 dollars later and everything was OK.

Sounds like your compressor clutch may be going bad as well. You might want to take it to an A/C shop and let them take a look at the clutch.
jimymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
brentkoth

One other possibility is the A/C core is so cold that the condensation is freezing up on the coil which would restrict airflow. I had that happen to me in the past due to a blocked condensation drain. If I let the it sit for some time, the ice would melt and I would have cold air again. It usually only happened to me during high humidity levels- something you get often in Houston.

Just a thought...

Last edited by brentkoth; 04-25-2010 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: format
brentkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
ryan17
2003 KJ Liberty 

jimymc - Thanks for the response about this issue. Thats sounds about what it is doing. Like you said probably a clutch compressor issue. When it gets really hot i guess clutch dont engage as richd mentioned, compressor stops the cold air from blowing. Then when it cools off it blows cold air again or clutch engages again. Never been an issue until now.

brentkoth - Thanks for the respose concering this issue as well. That is an interesting point you bring up about the a/c core being cold and freezing up. No idea how to check that out. The Jeep has been driving in Houston areas the past few years with no issues until now in the high humidity.

Again appreciate all your thoughs on this issue to try to solve it.
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
jimymc
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan17 View Post
jimymc - Thanks for the response about this issue. Thats sounds about what it is doing. Like you said probably a clutch compressor issue. When it gets really hot i guess clutch dont engage as richd mentioned, compressor stops the cold air from blowing. Then when it cools off it blows cold air again or clutch engages again. Never been an issue until now.

brentkoth - Thanks for the respose concering this issue as well. That is an interesting point you bring up about the a/c core being cold and freezing up. No idea how to check that out. The Jeep has been driving in Houston areas the past few years with no issues until now in the high humidity.

Again appreciate all your thoughs on this issue to try to solve it.
Let us know what you find out.
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
ryan17
2003 KJ Liberty 

richd - I looked at a/c clutch unit. When I turn the a/c on, clutch unit will run a little then stop and run a little more than stop. You can see it do this and makes clicking noise when clutch stops rotating. It will then spin for a few seconds and then stop. So it is cutting on and off.
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
jimymc
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
richd - I looked at a/c clutch unit. When I turn the a/c on, clutch unit will run a little then stop and run a little more than stop. You can see it do this and makes clicking noise when it does it. So it is cutting on and off.
This is what it normally does, but if the clutch is not fully disengaging it will drag, heat up and go bad. It can get hot enough to melt the serpentine belt. Not a good thing. The guy at the AC place took one look at mine and said "yep, you can see that the clutch housing is blue from overheating". I couldn't tell, but he has done enough of them that he can tell just from looking at it. He changed out the compressor with a clutch already installed and the drier. Total cost $512 for parts and labor. He said that the stealership would have probably charged $700 just for the compressor.
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
ryan17
2003 KJ Liberty 

I cant tell if it is fully disengaging by looking at it when it is running. It appears to look ok no odd colors. I assume the clutch unit gets hot when driven down the road for a while if a problem like you jimymc mentioned. I have not driven the Jeep long enough to blow hot air to see what the clutch does then or if it is cutting in and out. When i just start it up engine cold and let run for a few minutes it blows cold air.

Its going in to the shop today. Just trying to get a good idea as what to tell them. I have used the place before but last time they could not find the issue with the a/c after leak test and freon add. Jeep was driven on saturday by someone else and a/c quit blowing cold air after like 10 minutes so something is going for sure.
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
ryan17
2003 KJ Liberty 

Update on this issue - Well took it in. Garage said there was a problem with the compressor shutting down causing it to blow hot air after period of time so it was fried. Said clutch was working ok. So Jeep needed a new compressor, dryer, orifice and labor at the tune of $900 for parts and labor. So it will be fixed now. First time it needed a/c work and hopefully the last time. Everything else was ok.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions on this issue.

jimymc - wish i could have paid what you paid to fix yours. You paid about half to fix a similar issue. Did you pay for a brand new compressor or just clutch unit? This was a local garage not dealer as I never go to dealers unless waranted.

Last edited by ryan17; 04-27-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
jimymc
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Update on this issue - Well took it in. Garage said there was a problem with the compressor shutting down causing it to blow hot air after period of time so it was fried. Said clutch was working ok. So Jeep needed a new compressor, dryer, orifice and labor at the tune of $900 for parts and labor. So it will be fixed now. First time it needed a/c work and hopefully the last time. Everything else was ok.

jimymc - wish i could have paid what you paid to fix yours. You paid about half to fix a similar issue. Did you pay for a brand new compressor or just clutch unit? This was a local garage not dealer as I never go to dealers unless waranted.
I had a new compressor with an attached new clutch installed and a new drier. There is a small two-man auto A/C shop near our home that is VERY reasonable. People come from 50 or more miles away to have them fix their A/C systems. He even extended a $15 reduction in the compressor cost that he said was on sale that week. I have done business with him before and will surely do business with him again if I need A/C work.
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:

If this is the same garage that first looked at your A/C,I would ask for some
money back on labor.They should have noticed your problem the first time.Glad you got it all worked out and everything is running fine.Thanks for letting us know the outcome.Good Luck.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Doing A/C work is not cheap,really not cheap if it is done right.You will always have A/C problems,it's the nature of the system and the R134A which will leak no matter what since the molecules are half the size of R12.

If the compressor went south in addition to a new compressor,orifice tube,and receiver/dryer you will need a new condenser and evaporator since after 1990 both of those items do not respond well to flushing.The condenser at least needs to be replaced.If all those parts and a A/C system flush was not done forget about any warranty on parts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.