A\C compressor wont shut off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > A\C compressor wont shut off

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
crashbig
1989 XJ Cherokee 

A\C compressor wont shut off

Ok I have a 2005 Liberty, I just replaced the discharge line on the a/c after the serptine belt broke and took the hose with it. I recharged it and now my compressor just keeps running when the a\c is selected it wont cycle off. Any ideas.

crashbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Your clutch may be bad. The bearings are probably starting to go. Remove the clutch plate and take a look. It's only one nut and you don't have to remove the compressor or anything.

When I was diagnosing a noise/problem with ours I had my wife turn on the AC. The clutch came on. I told her to turn it off. It stayed engauged. Turned out the bearings had gone bad and the assembly was loose enough to keep the clutch engauged.

I bought the assembly from Amazon, paid like $100 for it. It wasn't too hard to replace. I had to buy a nice pair of snap ring pliers (my cheap ones wouldn't open enough). But I like justifying the cost of tools by reminding myself I am saving a ton on upsale parts and labor.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.