JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   A/C Compressor Knocking (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/c-compressor-knocking-1556426/)

AdameDy 08-01-2013 01:25 AM

A/C Compressor Knocking

My 02 Liberty recently started making a knocking sound in the A/C compressor region. I still get cold air, but it sounds like metal on metal inside of the compressor, so I assume that very soon it will die. But if I can save it, I'd rather get it fixed than wait for it to seize on me. I only noticed it recently after an hour long drive and it gets louder the longer the compressor runs. It only knocks when the clutch engages and starts turning the compressor. I can keep the fan on just without the a/c and no knocking occurs (aka the a/c settings without the snowflake). That's how I deduced it's a compressor problem.

So I took it into my Firestone mechanics, and they claim it will be around $1000 to $2000 to replace the entire system, not just the compressor (apparently that's impossible for them), which is half of my car's value. Shouldn't there be a way to replace the compressor and not the whole a/c system?

I've looked everywhere, but nobody seems to really go through the process for replacing one, it just ends up at "go see an expert A/C shop"-which is fine but I'd like to know what others have experienced so I know what to expect. While Firestone is a tire store, I feel like they've given good advice on my jeep in the past for all different parts.

The only thing I've recently done in the last 500 miles or so was a new belt tensioner when the stock one broke on the highway. Could that have caused this problem if it was fitted incorrectly? I'm open to bypassing the compressor to save the new belt tensioner if/when the clutch seizes.

Anyways, please help. If anyone's just replaced the compressor and clutch (they usually get replaced together right?) I would like to hear about the cost and how well it worked. All advice welcome and appreciated.

tjkj2002 08-01-2013 08:34 AM

If the compressor is making internal noises it must be replaced as it's starting to self destruct.To maintain the warranty on the compressor the orifice tube(a whole line on a KJ) must be replaced as well as the reciever/dryer and the system must be flushed.Depending on how much junk is found in the system it may also require a new condensor.So yes it can cost between $1200-$2000 to properly fix your AC system.It's a luxury item and the repair costs reflect that.No shop will just replace the compressor and if they do nothing will have any warranty and when there is junk in the system it will destroy the new compressor real fast,could be as little as 1 day of a few weeks before the new compressor dies as well.

AdameDy 08-01-2013 09:35 AM

Is this just a Jeep KJ thing? I've seen our Toyota get a new compressor for about $400 and it works great. They didn't replace the whole system.

I understand the need to flush gunk out to prevent new damage but buying a new A/C system for just a compressor issue seems like a very aggravating marketing strategy by engineers at Jeep. Can I not do this myself and save any money? I've seen some DIY videos, and if buying the equipment saves me money, I'm good at this type of stuff.

tjkj2002 08-01-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdameDy (Post 15743845)
Is this just a Jeep KJ thing? I've seen our Toyota get a new compressor for about $400 and it works great. They didn't replace the whole system.

I understand the need to flush gunk out to prevent new damage but buying a new A/C system for just a compressor issue seems like a very aggravating marketing strategy by engineers at Jeep. Can I not do this myself and save any money? I've seen some DIY videos, and if buying the equipment saves me money, I'm good at this type of stuff.

No it's a every vehicle with AC thing.No place will warranty a compressor if the orifice tube(or the like) and reciever/dryer(or accumilator) is not also replaced and system flushed by a certified shop.No condensor built after 1994 can be 100% flushed so in some cases that also must be replaced if the compressor ejected alot of material in the system.Your far from replacing the whole system,about half,and replacing the evap core is the expensive part as that will run $1000 alone for $120 part.

Just be glad some AC system repairs can reach as high as $4000+ and not talking about high end luxury cars either but your normal everyday vehicles like Rav4's and CRV's.I can't remember off the top of my head if it's the Rav4 or CRV but one of those for a few model years calls for 14 hours of labor just to replace the AC compressor alone.

If you want to DIY yes you will need to buy the correct recovery stuff,scale,hoses,and vacuum pump which can be a couple of hundred dollars alone and in some states you must be certified to work on any AC system regardless.Remember yoru AC system R134A fill is by weight,not volume or by pressure,and can be deadly DIY project if not properly trained in AC repairs not to mention R134A has been labeled as bad a R12 and soon will be banned(already banned over the pound in europe).

streetglideok 08-01-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdameDy (Post 15743845)

Sure, you can just replace the compressor. We'll see you back on the boards in a few days asking what could be wrong again too. And your local parts store will not give you any kind of warranty since the repairs were performed outside warranty guidelines. It has nothing, and I repeat, nothing to do with Jeep, Chrysler, Obama or God almighty. It has to do with knowing how the a/c system works, what happens to a system when a compressor blows its guts out, and why we do it for a living and do not get paid when it comes back not working.

AdameDy 08-02-2013 08:33 AM

Ok I'm back! I went A/C shop hopping and got myself an A/C education. So as suspected, the knocking is the compressor shredding itself apart and so we have to replace everything as everything is actually becoming ruined too. The fluid pressure is way up so we've deduced that as the compressor shredded itself, little metal flakes has begun clogging the system. Most everything is getting replaced. Thanks Obama.

So we have a new compressor and clutch, new drier, new evaporator valve, new condenser, new tubing, flush of the system and labor for all that. At least I'm stimulating the economy.

tommudd 08-02-2013 09:31 AM

Thanks Obama ??????????:confused:
WTH did he have to do with your compressor going out
people :rolleyes::rolleyes:

streetglideok 08-02-2013 09:15 PM

Nothing in this case, other than watering down our currency, so we can't afford anything now,lol. But that is for other people to argue elsewhere. :D

AdameDy 08-02-2013 10:40 PM

Haha it's a running joke for those who blame Obama for their problems, whether it's his fault or not. Check out reddit's Thanks Obama. Also, reddit has a jeep category which is fun.

streetglideok 08-03-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdameDy (Post 15751155)
Haha it's a running joke for those who blame Obama for their problems, whether it's his fault or not. Check out reddit's Thanks Obama. Also, reddit has a jeep category which is fun.

Its also an okie thing. As a former Tulsan here, it seemed most of us, except for one side of town, despised him. Used to live in Broken Arrow and worked for a chain of shops in town.

The time now is 07:22 AM.