Bye Bye Engine 02 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Bye Bye Engine 02 Liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

Bye Bye Engine 02 Liberty

So, my #2 piston decided to throw itself into the head damaging the valves, spark plug, and god knows what else. Here is my dilemma. Buy a new engine for it or part it out. Since I know a new engine is going to cost me about $4000, I'm wondering how much I could get for it if I part it out. Hell, the tires are dang near brand new with only 2500 miles on them. So I figure that I can get around $1000 for them with the wheels. How about the rest of it?

Thoughts, opinions, witty banter...?

Unread 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
oldfamilyguy

Are you sure thats what happened? More common would be a dropped valve seat or valve. If you got no cylinder wall damage it could be very inexpensive to repair as far as parts go if you can dyi. Labor will be big if not. Search it for more info.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Why not find a used engine in a scrap yard and drop it in?

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Or look for a reman as well.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamilyguy View Post
Are you sure thats what happened? More common would be a dropped valve seat or valve. If you got no cylinder wall damage it could be very inexpensive to repair as far as parts go if you can dyi. Labor will be big if not. Search it for more info.
Pretty sure, spark plug was smashed, the head looked like it was bulging, and when I looked down into the spark plug hole, it looked like the piston was in contact with the head. So pretty sure. I haven't pulled the head yet to verify.
I had to get to sleep for work tonight.

The lack of proper tools and place to work on it is also a factor.
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

I'm thinking I'm just going to part out the whole vehicle. So, if anyone needs parts... Let me know.
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWKHemi View Post
I'm thinking I'm just going to part out the whole vehicle. So, if anyone needs parts... Let me know.
I need the third brake light from your WK. Mine is cracked.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail

I need the third brake light from your WK. Mine is cracked.
Sorry, I'm not parting out my WK. I'm thinking about parting out my KJ. Just testing the waters to see if there is any interest in parts otherwise I will just selling to a mechanic friend.
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Swap the motor. It's not that bad of a job. Search for posts by me in this section. There is a good write up on it.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

I don't have access to facilities and tools to do it properly and I do not have the moneys to throw around for a new engine and tools. So, I'm just going to cut my losses. Besides, it's not like I need this vehicle. I have several others.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
LacyM

Get rid of it. I have an 08 kk with the same problem. At 72000 miles, my engine is being repaired for the same reason, for the 3rd time. The spring is faulty, and Chrysler knows it, but refuses to recall. That's why they went back to the Cherokee and quit using the 3.7, switching it out for a 2.4 in the new Cherokees. Its expensive to repair, and it's not going to stop until Chrysler recalls it, and finds a way to fix it. It's cost me approximately $2000 each time to have it repaired. It's in the shop now, and I'm selling it as soon as it's fixed. I spoke with Chrysler again today, and they don't seem to care. If yours is anything like my kk, it locks up when you loser compression. This could be dangerous if your spring breaks on a highway. The first time it happened to me, my car came to a dead stop at intersection. The tires won't even roll to coast until you get stopped. Luckily, I was almost stopped when it happened, and I was in a 30 MPH zone so everyone avoided hitting me.
LacyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyM View Post
Get rid of it. I have an 08 kk with the same problem. At 72000 miles, my engine is being repaired for the same reason, for the 3rd time. The spring is faulty, and Chrysler knows it, but refuses to recall. That's why they went back to the Cherokee and quit using the 3.7, switching it out for a 2.4 in the new Cherokees. Its expensive to repair, and it's not going to stop until Chrysler recalls it, and finds a way to fix it. It's cost me approximately $2000 each time to have it repaired. It's in the shop now, and I'm selling it as soon as it's fixed. I spoke with Chrysler again today, and they don't seem to care. If yours is anything like my kk, it locks up when you loser compression. This could be dangerous if your spring breaks on a highway. The first time it happened to me, my car came to a dead stop at intersection. The tires won't even roll to coast until you get stopped. Luckily, I was almost stopped when it happened, and I was in a 30 MPH zone so everyone avoided hitting me.
I would get a new motor and put the old one up never know might need it for a couple parts one day
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.