Buying help for KJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Buying help for KJ

The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 06-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
LOIIIIIIIOJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Buying help for KJ

Hi,

owned an amazing XJ for 8 years 4.0 - has been bullet proof

gonna buy a KJ, but not sure if to get a 3.7 or 2.8CRD

gonna buy around 2006

any help on what to look for that goes wrong and what if i see i should walk away from.

also what are the common problems with the 3.7 and also the 2.8CRD

what engine would you buy if you were buying one

thanks

LOIIIIIIIOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
megatone

Common probs with the KJ's are the window regulators....they're garbage and always break.

Another problem is with the intermediate shaft assembly. Either the splines get chewed up, or the outer bearing support develops alot of slop. Or the assembly develops a really bad clunk sound. The intermediate shaft splines rust themselves to the cv shaft splines (passenger side).

3.7L PCV system allows excessive condensation to develop.......you can remove it but then gets gummed up and burns excessive oil (think 1qt per every 1,000 miles if you're lucky....sometimes as much as 1qt in 350 miles).

Clunking sound upon initial acceleration during stop-and-go traffic. Could be rear end suspension bushings or driveline related.

Front lower control arms have 3 bushings and one ball joint installed in them and if need to be replaced dealership cost for ONE of the control arm cost $400 bucks (not installed), no bull****!!! However each bushing is 30 bucks and the ball joint is about 50.....so $140, plus whatever an independent shop might charge for the 3 bushing installations. Not a bad price this way.

3.7L v6 Leaky passenger side valve cover. No biggie.

3.7L Hot under hood temperatures.

The Liberty in my family belongs to my 17 year old daughter. I paid.....$5,000 for it...???.....can't remember exactly, but in all honesty, I bought it used from an unattentive previous owner. My daughter is a country girl and has taken that Liberty of hers (The Jeep!!!) up into the mountains more times than I can count, and in all fairness, that damn Jeep has NEVER left her stranded crossing a running stream bed or left her stuck in rolling rocky terrain. I gotta say, a few weeks ago we went out on a camping/shooting trip. She took her Jeep, I took my Volkswagen Passat (Yay!). And once we left the maintained road, we continued in her Liberty for about an hour. The trail progressively getting more rugged. Was sandy at times, but mostly jagged rock (no mud). We got into a really dry valley with lots of sandstone on the valley floor as well as on the upward slopes. As my daughter was driving up the slopes getting to our camping/shooting location, I got kinda nervous because of the angles and the bouncing of the vehicle so I asked her if she wanted me to drive......she looks at me and says, "No dad, its fine. I just gotta get into 4 low and walk it up the slope".

I was like WTF!!!I woulda backed up and went home.
megatone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Lol! Cant wait for my kid to teach me how to wheel 8) we had a passat when i was a kid, german cars are the best.

One thing ive noticed but never solved is the hanging drop of ATF +4 forever suspended from the transfer case. Ive done everything except replace the gasket and never read a solution, but also never saw a drop on the pavement so if you see this dont worry.
libertyordeath8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

A lot of the above reports are only on a few
window regulators being junk??? Mine are all still stock with 216,000 miles and owning it 11 years
Intermediate shaft chewing up splines, again not an issue

etc
Unread 07-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Ya mine are fine too, over 240k on the body
Unread 07-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
TangoTango
2008 WK 

I just got one.. and others pointed out these things..

The 3.7 is a way better engine and easier to get parts.

The bushings on the rear "v" there are (3) of them.. they are usually gone out. They are easy to replace.

The front lower ball joints are usually gone out.

The window regulators as mentioned above.. they just break, so really test the windows.. mine broke minutes after purchase.

The a/c leaks all over the passenger floor (under the carpet you need to look under the carpet) unless a 90 degree down spout has been added to the tube in the engine bay.

Other than that the usual car things to check.

and thanks goes to the others that pointed these things out to me.
Black WK Club #147

Life is hard. ...- John Wayne
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Congratulations!! Your next happiest day will be when you.lift it up, i promise you!!
Unread 07-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post

The bushings on the rear "v" there are (3) of them.. they are usually gone out. They are easy to replace.

The window regulators as mentioned above.. they just break, so really test the windows.. mine broke minutes after purchase.

The a/c leaks all over the passenger floor (under the carpet you need to look under the carpet) unless a 90 degree down spout has been added to the tube in the engine bay.

Best is to replace the whole tri-link with a Mopar unit
Front ball joints are a wear item, they wear out, not a big deal and happen on all vehicles
You do not have to add a down spout on the AC they come from the factory with it attached
Unread 07-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post

Oops, haha i thought you were the original poster, theres me always goin off half cocked. Sorry! Lol
Unread 07-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
twowings
2004 KJ Liberty 

You'll want to give us all the details of the good deals you find FIRST so we can um, evaluate them for value....
twowings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

dont know about the UK, but the gasser would be easier to maintain and repair.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
300cpilot
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Window regulators have been mentioned, replaced my 3rd one to break in three years. 133,000 miles on a 2007.

I have also had a case where I repaired a 3.7 in a 2004 that 4 of the valve push rods came out and the 4 valves had gotten stuck in the guides. All of this was because of a failed head gasket that allowed water into the oil. If you take a paper towel and wipe the inside of the filler tube. If it comes out with clumps of chocolate brown gunk, your the lucky owner of a blown head gasket to. Not sure how common blown head gaskets are with these. That one cost a lot.

Also had issues with the ABS on the right rear, seams like the sensor gets messed up every year and it will trigger the abs.

Other than those issues it has been one of the best vehicles we have ever owned.
300cpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.