Burnt rubber smell?!?! Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Burnt rubber smell?!?! Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
BrynneBeepBeep
2005 KJ Liberty 

Burnt rubber smell?!?! Help!

For the past couple of days everytime I park my Jeep and get out, I am smelling a burnt rubber smell. I've popped the hood and nothing seems to be smoking or smells near the engine. I can smell it directly underneath the car on the rear driver side. Today, I noticed it smelled on the rear driver side also there was a 'clicking' next to the rear driver side tire. I had my brother take a look at it, and he said he thinks I may have ran over something plastic and it got stuck somewhere and is just burning away. I thought this made sense, since it went away for a day, then I just noticed it again this afternoon.

This is driving me nuts and I am having the worst luck this week. My windshield cracked across the entire car and then this happened! PLEASE HELP! Any advice

Was hoping it wouldn't last this long otherwise I will have to take it into the shop. Not looking forward to another big repair including the windshield.

Thanks!

BrynneBeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

What year is your Liberty. If it is an '03 or later the smell could be your emergency brake shoes rubbing inside the drum and creating a lot of heat resulting in the smell.

Have a shop take a look at the parking/emergency brake if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
BrynneBeepBeep
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
What year is your Liberty. If it is an '03 or later the smell could be your emergency brake shoes rubbing inside the drum and creating a lot of heat resulting in the smell.

Have a shop take a look at the parking/emergency brake if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Bob
Thanks Bob, going to have my brother take a peek at it when he gets home.
It seems like it's everywhere. At lunch, it was very noticeable and even the rear breaks were 'creaking' a lot. But after lunch, no smell, and nothing 'creaking'.

Seems to be on and off a lot. Hopefully will figure out what's going on with it tonight. If not, will have to take it to the shop Friday. Hopefully it's safe to drive to work tomorrow

P.S. Jeep is 2005
BrynneBeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
tobor8man

Please let us know what you find out. I am experiencing a similar problem - i.e., a burning plastic smell (interior when vent or a/c is on) after driving a few minutes.
tobor8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobor8man
Please let us know what you find out. I am experiencing a similar problem - i.e., a burning plastic smell (interior when vent or a/c is on) after driving a few minutes.
The smell you're experiencing sounds like oil dripping onto your exhaust manifold from the valve covers - a common repair with this engine. Replacing the valve cover gaskets will cure that.

To confirm shine a bright flashlight on the lower, rearmost bolt of the valve covers and look for oil residue on the cylinder head and exhaust manifolds. Also rub a rag on the bottom edge of the cylinder head. The drip isn't a real problem mechanically - more of an annoyance so you can wait if you need to.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.