Burning Smell When Not Moving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Burning Smell When Not Moving

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
allterrainkj

Burning Smell When Not Moving

Whenever I start my KJ for the first time, and almost every time I stop moving (whether it be at a stop sign or parked) I have a burning smell. It isn't there when I open the hood, only when inside the vehicle when not in motion. Does anyone know what it might be? It hasn't even been 1,000 miles since I changed the oil, so I don't think it's that. I've also experimented with the heat, A/C, and defrost and I don't think it's that either. Any ideas?

allterrainkj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Did you have the smell before you changed the oil? If not the you might have spilled some oil on the exhaust and it is leaking into the passenger compartment.
Just a thought.
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
allterrainkj

Problem figured out - Passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking. Any tips on fixing it?
allterrainkj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allterrainkj View Post
Problem figured out - Passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking. Any tips on fixing it?
You answered your own question before I got a chance to - well done!

Good news: You found the problem. Bad news: It's the passenger side, which is definitely the more difficult of the two to replace.

You'll need to move the coolant reservoir to the center of the engine compartment to get it out of the way, then pull the heater core hoses off the firewall so you have enough room to take off the valve cover. You do NOT have to remove any of the A/C hoses so no worries there.

Also take the oil filler neck off the block; the reason you do that is so you don't have to attempt to open that *&^%#^ clip that holds the heater core hoses together right next to the filler neck. The heater hose clip is attached to the filler neck and it's just much easier to move the entire filler neck than wrestle with an uncooperative clip.

Once you do that you'll have to lift the harness clips that hold the fuel injector and coil pack wiring in place. Then remove the bolts holding the cover to the cylinder head - it can be a bit of a pain to lift the cover away from the firewall as that back corner is a bit tight. Be sure to replace the grommets with the new ones that come with the new gaskets.

Hope this helps!

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.