Broken valve spring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Broken valve spring

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Broken valve spring

Got a broken valve spring on a 03 Liberty . Now trying to find a valve spring compressor to do the job. The pretty unique configuration of the V6 and the lash adjuster are narrowing my choices. Does anyone know what type of tool would best fit the job and where to get it?

Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
splumer
2005 KJ Liberty 

I would think your local auto parts store would have it. If it's a unique tool, your Jeep dealer will stock it, but those tools tend to be expensive, because the dealer doesn't like to have other people do that work.

I just took a look in my Haynes manual, and it said two special tools are needed for the job, but I didn't read the whole procedure to see what those tools are. The valve spring compressor looked normal.
splumer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

'We don't sell tools...' was the answer from the dealer. Plus the fact that they gave me a replacement valve spring for the 06+ year model (which probably won't work), they said they ran I guess of the 03-05; I guess they really don't want me to work on it. But then again they messed up the ball joints when we took it for the recall thing last year, we had to take it there again a month later. I will never take it there again...

Yeah the Haynes manual was a little vague. I went to every places I could and showed the picture, none of them had it. But I might try anyway with one of those universal spring compressor. I don't see why it wouldn't work, except where the cylinder is at, the master cylinder and brake lines might be in the way. The thing is I don't have to take out the rocker arm since it fell right off when we took the cover off.

Last edited by Reptile; 02-06-2011 at 11:52 PM..
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I ended up using one of those cheap universal valve spring compressor. It wasn't needed to remove the spring since it was broken. I had to grind the hell out of it to make it fit so it won't run into the camshaft and will reach the bottom of the valve seat. It did the job, altough a more expensive tool would probably do a cleaner job.
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

good info. the wife mods kj has almost 140 on it and im considering doing a valve spring swap as pm this spring.
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't recommend unless you have a problem, it is a HUGE pain. This shoudn't happen anyway, not on a vehicle with less than 89 Kmi on it. The valve springs should last the lifetime of the engine. There is obviously a design defect here.

Apparently, the 3.7L are prone to carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber. You wouldn't believe how much came out of the exaust while the engine was misfiring. There was also significant carbon deposit on the spark plugs too. Also, I am afraid it will happen again. At least another cylinder read compressions above 150 psi (the carbon buildup will shrink the chamber, there fore higher compressions). My guess is the buildup caused the valve to stick, putting stress on the spring. I happen to know (since the dealer gave me the WRONG part) that 06+ models have reinforced springs.

Sorry but changing the springs won't remedy the cause of the problem.
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
waywardtravel
2006 KJ Liberty 

Normal high speed diesel 10-15000hrs top end That 24 7 for almost two years. 30,000hrs complete. Inspect rod bearing every five years.
That's all pre light weight common rail tier3 emissions crap.
waywardtravel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Anyway there it is...
valve.jpg   snapped.jpg  
Unread 03-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

so, we know you got it apart. how did the assembly go?
Unread 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The results were pretty good actually. The hard part was to make the spring compressor work so it would fit the tight space. I tried setting the spring, failed, grinded the tool, tried again, failed, grinded the tool more... It was like a $20 spring compressor. I guess a more expensive tool would have been much easier. Also I had to find a trick to secure the valve in place once I removed the keepers, since the cylinder wouldn't hold pressure. This is the new valve installed. Pink, I know, don't ask me why.
inplace.jpg  
Unread 03-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

can you take a pic of the spring compressor you used? id like to get all of this info while i can. im still considering replacing all of our kjs springs. i just dont wanna risk dropping a valve into the engine. ounce of prevention vs. $1000 of cure.
Unread 03-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

As you wish. This was I believe a OEM compressor, doesn't look anything like how it came out of the box. Now be aware that I only used the tool to set the valve in place. I don't think I would have been able to remove a functionnal valve with it. And if I had to do again, I can tell you I would go spend money on a better tool (and I'm a cheap bastard).

Not sure you would want to do this as prevention, but you're the boss. As you're at it, change the rocker arm and lash adjusters. I managed to drive the thing home and then we revved up the hell out of it thinking it was an ignition issue, so I don't believe the valve would go anywhere. The only time the valve might fall into the cylinder is when you replace the spring (remove the keepers). Then you want to make sure the valve is secured because if it drops you'd have to pull the head and we both know what this means. This was an exhaust valve, and I don't know what could have happens if this was an intake valve, but it looks like it's a non interference engine, or the valve would have been smashed big time. That was my bigger fear all along.

I believe the way to prevent this would be to get rid of the carbon buildup in the cylinders. I mean there was a bunch in that cylinder alone. It all came out of the exhaust, probably due to the unburnt gasoline that cleaned it. The incident happened in a cold morning when my wife started the car to go to work. She kept on driving it but didn't go very far... sticking valve? They must be aware of the problem because the 06+ year models have a reinforced spring.
compressor.jpg  
Unread 03-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

This came out of cylinder #5 while we were trying to diagnose it... and had no idea what we were getting into.
dsc03183.jpg  
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

if its a non interference engine then i might not worry about it. i just hate the idea of replacing the engine in her kj. she has loved this thing since day one. thanks for the pics and info.
Unread 03-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTCornewell View Post
if its a non interference engine then i might not worry about it. i just hate the idea of replacing the engine in her kj. she has loved this thing since day one. thanks for the pics and info.
If you drop a valve in any engine it's going to hit the piston,but yes by definition the 3.7 is a "interference" engine but one of the timing chains would have to break for a issue and that is not likely going to happen,you will know way ahead of time before a chain breaks in 99.99% of all cases.

Tags
compressor , spring , valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.